Vegetation Lighting - 24 Or 18 Hrs

Guest drcanna-pest

Guest drcanna-pest

I now veg 24hrs and use rootmax and humboldt roots. the dark period is really when the roots grow the most. otherwise us an root growth enhancer and go 24hrs. I think this produces great results. Any other opinions?

it has been proven that marijuana will do just as well under 24 hours of light versus having a break. i can't recall what the technical term for this is, but basically they fall into a category of plant that doesn't need a dark period without freaking out.

so, your plants will grow a bit faster/taller using 24/7 lighting. you just have to ask yourself if you want to cough up the $$$ to do that. running your lights 24/7 will get very pricey, very quick.

one advantage to 18/6 is that the dark period is when your plant can "rest" and put more energy into developing stronger roots.

Some Canadiens told me once they thought plants can't even absorb more than 18 hours of sunlight.I personally do a 20/4 cycle for my vegetive room. My thoughts are that the plants like at least a little nap...they put their leaves down as the lights go off and perk their leaves awaiting the light to turn on. Kinda cool how they adapt to any cycle you choose.

Guest drcanna-pest

it has been proven that marijuana will do just as well under 24 hours of light versus having a break. i can't recall what the technical term for this is, but basically they fall into a category of plant that doesn't need a dark period without freaking out.

so, your plants will grow a bit faster/taller using 24/7 lighting. you just have to ask yourself if you want to cough up the $$$ to do that. running your lights 24/7 will get very pricey, very quick.

one advantage to 18/6 is that the dark period is when your plant can "rest" and put more energy into developing stronger roots.

right the roots develop best in dark. thats why if you supplement using Humboldt Roots to water with occasionally you can go 24/7 and gets the best results. as far as pricey? I veg with a T5...you cant beat that. My ladies veg better with a T5 than a metal halide anyway!

how is running 3/4 the time harder on the equipment?

I can just guess here, the actual turning on, and off of the equipment is harder on it than just leaving it on.

In most electrical equipment there is a surge when the power is turned on/off and that can actually wear it out faster than just leaving it on 24/7 and not having that twice a day surge.

firing up the lights is harder on them then just letting them run 24/7.the ballasts have starters in them which also takes a hit...the off then on takes a toll on the equipment or so i've been told... fd 420 has the jest of the thinking..zzb

Guest drcanna-pest

Could you please elaborate. How do you mean better?

I've been considering using t-5s when I start a garden

Much better leaf to node ratio. Greener..lusher plants. They grow faster...they just seem to love the T5. Not to mention heat control and electricity usage. But the plants will be very thick and bushy...for and indoor grow this is what you need. I dislike the MH because most strains get kind of long and stringy because you have to keep the light to far away unless cooled with a fan.

Guest drcanna-pest

right...also...digital ballasts do use less electricity. I myself have been experimenting with flowering with a T5 and changing the bulbs for heat control and electric bill.

Guest drcanna-pest

I believe that you can veg for 24 hours strait, but my wallet isnt that thick and I like to give my plants and my electric bill a break. :))

What type of light do you use to veg? T5 will give you better results than a MH...guaranteed.

Guest drcanna-pest

250MH, but I was considering getting a T5 and cut my bill back a little more. Right now I keep my 4 mothers under it and I keep my clones too for now but quite a bit off to the side.

The light penetration and the way the cannabis reacts to the T5 is excellent - very bushy, healthy plants. I have been using it to flower as well...

Guest drcanna-pest

i think 18 hours on is alittle harder on the equipment,but i like letting the roots and media cool alittle at night and having done it both ways i can't say i lost alot of production by running 18/6...zzb

I went and looked at my father's grow room. We took clones from the same mother at the same time. My clones were veg at 24hrs w/ root enhancement and special things. His was 18hrs with similar nutes. My plants are significantly stronger and taller. Maybe the water?? Any ideas? I'm thinking 24hrs w/ T5 is the way to veg!!!

i really can't say,behaps water PH,and perhaps the 24hr light is making the difference, but what i can say is that i didn't see that much of a difference with the strains that i was growing to justify running the lights 24/7,and i like giving the plants a little "down time".i use mh and hps,no T5s..so i can't help you there.i'm glad to hear that your plants are doing well,so i advise you keep doing whatever it is you're doing..lol..good luck..zzb

Guest drcanna-pest

i really can't say,behaps water PH,and perhaps the 24hr light is making the difference, but what i can say is that i didn't see that much of a difference with the strains that i was growing to justify running the lights 24/7,and i like giving the plants a little "down time".i use mh and hps,no T5s..so i can't help you there.i'm glad to hear that your plants are doing well,so i advise you keep doing whatever it is you're doing..lol..good luck..zzb

right on. if for some reason I have a compelling reason to go back to 18 I would...maybe it is the strain....

Archived