Licensed Professionals And Mmj ?

jinx

Some of the recent events of the last 6 months have caused me to hold off Certification out of concerns that the State Licensing board may cause suspension of my license which is in the Health field.

Is anyone else holding back...I have a very legitimate condition, Cancer, which is in remission.

Are there other Health Care professionals holding back ?

Email me if you are reluctant to post.

Many thanks,

Dr. jinx

my wife is in same field.... i feel law says rather plainly that they have no right to object. its medicne, the thought the health people couldnt grasp that is just absurd to me....not saying you wouldnt have probs....but you shouldnt. you have cancer and they wouldnt object to any other meds. its bigotry plain and simple

hi jink

its a poor way to hold your license over your head for sure... wife is in the same boat she can get blasted drinking or take prescription meds and not have to worry but smoke a j and she could lose it all... sucks... maybe we need to have all licensed people judges lawyers cop anyone servicing the public lose there rights if they show usage.. we would not have a lot of government people working for us...

abbe

If you are in a position that EVER gets tested I wouldn't dare use it...although it SHOULD be ok because of the law, I wouldn't risk my career on it. You're looking at mandatory reporting requirements by your employer, mandatory rehab, a ding with the medical board, a permanent mark on every future medical staff application, prolonged monitoring by the state, reduced staff privileges...the list goes on. Like everyone has said, it's so much easier to be an alcoholic or opiod abuser...

Some of the recent events of the last 6 months have caused me to hold off Certification out of concerns that the State Licensing board may cause suspension of my license which is in the Health field.

Is anyone else holding back...I have a very legitimate condition, Cancer, which is in remission.

Are there other Health Care professionals holding back ?

Email me if you are reluctant to post.

Many thanks,

Dr. jinx

Thats sad and I'm sorry to hear that.. :notfair:

I work in the ER and use MM, I have a prescription for marinol which makes my UA show "false" positive for marijuana, I used synthetic urine in the past with success, I have coworkers in the same position that use synthetic urine or just quit MM when the test is coming up. You can easily get a prescription for marinol with your cancer, Hope that helps!

Although this point has been misinterpreted, review Sections 4 (a) and 8 [c] [1]. These sections address those holding business or occupational or professional licenses.

I think ALL health care workers that are MMJ users or potential MMJ user 'know' what the law says.

The problem is that there is no 'trust' in the MDCH OR the licensing boards that some way, somehow a license could be pulled, denied or restrictions could be put on that person's practicing his / her profession because of MMJ use.

There are all sorts of ways a 'licensing board' could get around what the law says should be followed.

If it is found that a health care worker uses MMJ that person's 'work' could be scrutinized by the 'Board' and infractions or minor mistakes in 'record' keeping could be used as an excuse to 'pull a license' and the Board could say it had 'nothing' to do with the fact that the 'HC Provider was an MMJ card holder.

The only thing that will set the 'Boards' straight and keep these sorts of things from happening is for a Board' to be taken to court and 'made' to honor the 'law'.

When this will happen is anybodies guess but I know it is coming down the pike... no doubt of it.

I think ALL health care workers that are MMJ users or potential MMJ user 'know' what the law says.

The problem is that there is no 'trust' in the MDCH OR the licensing boards that some way, somehow a license could be pulled, denied or restrictions could be put on that person's practicing his / her profession because of MMJ use.

There are all sorts of ways a 'licensing board' could get around what the law says should be followed.

If it is found that a health care worker uses MMJ that person's 'work' could be scrutinized by the 'Board' and infractions or minor mistakes in 'record' keeping could be used as an excuse to 'pull a license' and the Board could say it had 'nothing' to do with the fact that the 'HC Provider was an MMJ card holder.

The only thing that will set the 'Boards' straight and keep these sorts of things from happening is for a Board' to be taken to court and 'made' to honor the 'law'.

When this will happen is anybodies guess but I know it is coming down the pike... no doubt of it.

Thanks, Greenbuddha,

You captured the essence of my concerns exactly. It says one thing in the Act, but there may be others in the broader gov groups who will take this info and find a way to screw me and other licensed professionals.

Dr. jinx

As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I can say with 100% assurance the board of health professions does not recognize medical marijuana use or registry for licensed professionals. The user is considered practicing while impaired due to metabolites. This isn't supposition or guesswork, it is a direct quote from a representative of the health professionals recovery program after I questioned them by reading section 4(a).

Jay Budz, I would further like to add that when I then asked about the status of all the health professional I dispense narcotics too, and the seeming hypocricy of the hprp stance on marijuana vs these people, the hprp rep stated that in the boards view those individuals would also technically be considered practicing while impaired, and would be candidates for monitoring, as well. So just my opinion, I'd keep my Marinol use on the down low.

I actually wish someone would call the board of health professions and the HPRP and request an official statement on the subject, I'm currently in no position to be pushing them on subject.

The board of health professions does not recognize medical marijauna but I can also see the problems that could arrise for other professions such as attorneys, police officers, probation officers, counselors, teachers, etc. Anyone holding a professional license could face this issue. The issue is further compounded by the fact that an employer could make the "intoxication" argument if a person was found to be using any schedule drug and not just medical marijuana. I feel like a person is owned by the licensing board no matter what the circumstance would be. They issue the license and they make the rules. It's not a fair situation but one that currently exists. The MM law only protects the individual if the licensing board recognizes and agrees with the law.

I use medical marijuana but I also know that I'm walking a thin line right now if it was brought up for my professional license. Personally it was just a risk I had to weigh in order to find some relief to my pain. I'm sure it's the same decision many others have had to make with this.

The board of health professions does not recognize medical marijauna but I can also see the problems that could arrise for other professions such as attorneys, police officers, probation officers, counselors, teachers, etc. Anyone holding a professional license could face this issue. The issue is further compounded by the fact that an employer could make the "intoxication" argument if a person was found to be using any schedule drug and not just medical marijuana. I feel like a person is owned by the licensing board no matter what the circumstance would be. They issue the license and they make the rules. It's not a fair situation but one that currently exists. The MM law only protects the individual if the licensing board recognizes and agrees with the law.

I use medical marijuana but I also know that I'm walking a thin line right now if it was brought up for my professional license. Personally it was just a risk I had to weigh in order to find some relief to my pain. I'm sure it's the same decision many others have had to make with this.

As I mentioned before, J, ... my belief is to 'CYA' at ALL times.

Until laws are changed at the Federal level in terms of 're-scheduling marijuana' we all remain in jeopardy at one level or another.

Beware and take care.

Archived