Anxious? Cannabis May Beejust What The Doctor Ordered.

As somebody who has suffered from OCD (which is classified as an anxiety disorder) since my teen years, including full on anxiety attacks, I can attest to the fact that it's much better for the mind AND body to smoke a doob, eat a brownie, or hit the vapo than to sit around popping benzos. Xanax is one of the most common drugs given for severe anxiety and it is highly addictive. On top of its lovely addictive qualities, it is also one of the harshest drugs to withdrawal from out there. I'm talking as bad, if not worse, than heroin. And there are actually people out there who think Big Pharm is always the way to go. I'd like to see them witness somebody detoxing from xanax (it ain't pretty) as opposed to somebody who has handles their anxiety with mmj and then make an arguement. I'm all for the use of mmj for anxiety (and other psychiatric disorders as well) - it's been tremendous in helping with mine.

Hi, thanks for this article... I suffer from a Anxiety Disorder as well. The Benzo I currently take is Clonazepam. I'm here to say that a certain type Cannabis triggered my first Panic Attack. After that as I totally quit using it all together. But then I found that certain strains. Would re-trigger anxiety yet some will relieve it.

To describe what a Panic Attack feels like. Well its like a unwanted rush of adrenaline. Some people think they are having a Heart Attack and end up in the ER.And let me tell you no matter how much you like the effects of Cannabis. A panic attack will discourage you to stop in a heartbeat!

Now my doctor totally is Anti-Cannabis. And pretty much has me on Clonazepam for the rest of my life! Also tells me that I cannot use Cannabis if I want him to prescribe Clonazepam. Well I'm here to say I would love to walk into his office and tell him I don't want his Big Pharm. And that I found a strain of Natural Cannabis that works great.

I myself do not want to be under this medication for that amount of time. Who knows what kinds of damage this drug will do to me long term? Now the price of this prescription is only $13 a month so its not the money.

I have a post on here called Anti-Panic Attack Strains. On their people have told me what I kind of already knew. DO NOT USE SATIVA you need 100% Indica. But when you search for strains it is almost impossible to find 100% Indica. Everything is crossed with Sativa because it makes a Higher THC content product.

I have heard that if you flower longer than 60days that THC will decrease and CBD increase? Anyway can anyone with this disorder please post a few strains that help them? Also name some strains to stay away from... TY in advance..

I, too, prefer pure indica strains and that is what my cg grows for me. I have found certain sativa strains that are good for social anxiety, however (they make me more "bubbly" and not so shy). I have tried Klonopin also but I react really badly to even a small dose. I fell down the stairs and broke my foot after taking a half milligram and have refused to take it since. Good luck finding a strain that works for you. I hope you do since mmj is so much less harsh on the old liver than the pills. And a weird, but great, tip my old shrink gave me-when you feel the panic/anxiety start-blow bubbles. Literally get yourself some good old little kid bubbles and blow them. If focuses your mind elsewhere, encourages deep breathing and is kinda fun. Best of luck to you.

As somebody who has suffered from OCD (which is classified as an anxiety disorder) since my teen years, including full on anxiety attacks, I can attest to the fact that it's much better for the mind AND body to smoke a doob, eat a brownie, or hit the vapo than to sit around popping benzos. Xanax is one of the most common drugs given for severe anxiety and it is highly addictive. On top of its lovely addictive qualities, it is also one of the harshest drugs to withdrawal from out there. I'm talking as bad, if not worse, than heroin. And there are actually people out there who think Big Pharm is always the way to go. I'd like to see them witness somebody detoxing from xanax (it ain't pretty) as opposed to somebody who has handles their anxiety with mmj and then make an arguement. I'm all for the use of mmj for anxiety (and other psychiatric disorders as well) - it's been tremendous in helping with mine.

You are so right! I was on xanax and methadone for nearly 11yrs, I did my daily dose, 4 10mg methadones, and 4 xanax 1mg, for nearly 11yrs. I got into a lil trouble, and I had to do 8 days in county jail, I dont remember the last 7 days! I woke up in ICU in the hospital with all kinds of tubes in me on the 10th day. I dont remember withdrawing (thank god) and it is all just like a wild dream! I do not know reality from weird dreams, in that time period, My dr. said it was from being abrubtly taken off of my meds, and that i could have died! I no longer do any pharmacuticals and I only use weed for my meds, for chronic pain and anxiety!

It works very well for me!

Peace

Free The Weed

Jim

sativas might not be a bad way for you to get over anxiety

lots of good crosses most everything these days is seemingly indica dominate

But sativa you get used to...that paranoia effect goes away

could be a good way to face anxiety in a controlled way

Keep some indica on hand to bring you down if you need it....

I personally can get a little anxious by being too indica stoned...dont like that feeling....sativas can free up mind and body....

Now don't get me wrong,I am a strong supporter of the medical use of Marihuana, but I think that anxity does not qualify as one of the stated conditions. Don't hold me to that I am a NEWBIE at this and should be taken with 'a grain of salt' And what better time to learn, thats why I'm here, among other things.

Now don't get me wrong,I am a strong supporter of the medical use of Marihuana, but I think that anxity does not qualify as one of the stated conditions. Don't hold me to that I am a NEWBIE at this and should be taken with 'a grain of salt' And what better time to learn, thats why I'm here, among other things.

You are correct sir. BUT the side effects from Pharm Drugs can qualify you to get your card.

I still have not seen any strains listed that will help with this condition. If someone knows of a pure Indica strain name please list TY.

The study in that article gave CBD only to the test subjects, not whole cannabis. The mention of CBD and anxiety made me think of tinctures and edibles. There was a recent thread here on glycerine tinctures, where someone who makes glycerine tinctures in California gave a link to their website. In that site I read that they make their tinctures without going through the typical heating / decarboxylization step. This results in lower active THC and, therefore, a higher ratio of CBDs to active THC.

Anxiety is not listed as a qualifying condition but if you've ever experienced a bonafide anxiety attack you'd know that they can make you nauseous, they can give you chest pains (similar to having a heart attack) and can make you feel as though you are dying. Both chronic pain and nausea are listed as qualifying conditions and if you have a disorder that causes frequent attacks, that would be considered chronic. Besides, any compassionate doc will qualify you if they believe mmj will truly help with your issue, whatever it may be.

RNJoe,

MMJ like ANY OTHER medication, drug or chemical will work for some people and NOT for others.

As an example 'Prozac' will alleviate anxiety and depression for SOME people and NOT others.

And of course there is ALWAYS the issue of DOSAGE and FREQUENCY of taking the medication.

MANY factors are involved in the recommendation and taking of ANY medication. Adjustments ALWAYS have to be made to the 'dosage' and 'frequency of the medication's use.

With MMJ it may take some 'discovery' time in order for a person to find that 'dosage' level AND the 'frequency', "IF" MMJ works at ALL for that particular person.

NOT ALL medications WORK FOR EVERYONE 'ALL' THE TIME!

And like ANY medication... if it DOESN'T work... DON'T use it.

RNJoe,

MMJ like ANY OTHER medication, drug or chemical will work for some people and NOT for others.

As an example 'Prozac' will alleviate anxiety and depression for SOME people and NOT others.

And of course there is ALWAYS the issue of DOSAGE and FREQUENCY of taking the medication.

MANY factors are involved in the recommendation and taking of ANY medication. Adjustments ALWAYS have to be made to the 'dosage' and 'frequency of the medication's use.

With MMJ it may take some 'discovery' time in order for a person to find that 'dosage' level AND the 'frequency', "IF" MMJ works at ALL for that particular person.

NOT ALL medications WORK FOR EVERYONE 'ALL' THE TIME!

And like ANY medication... if it DOESN'T work... DON'T use it.

Very True........ But it's all about finding the strain that works for your condition. Cannabis has 3 different chemicals that work differently with THC. Currently for me Stimulants work as a depressant & Vice Versa.

sativas might not be a bad way for you to get over anxiety

lots of good crosses most everything these days is seemingly indica dominate

But sativa you get used to...that paranoia effect goes away

could be a good way to face anxiety in a controlled way

Keep some indica on hand to bring you down if you need it....

I personally can get a little anxious by being too indica stoned...dont like that feeling....sativas can free up mind and body....

I agree with you entirely! I always say that sativas are a good "day-time" medication and indicas are a good "night-time" medication because of the effects associated with each. Since sativa is more uplifting, it'd probably be a good place to start in order to manage anxiety. Indica highs are usually more apparent, and often, people become paranoid that others can tell that they're high.

Did not realize Xanex was so nasty, took a low dose for a short time some years ago, it was not strong enough. Do not miss it.

Thanks for heads up!

if you don't slowly ease off xanax you will literally lose your mind.

Archived