Dispensaries & Compassion Clubs

Wow! Another dispensary just opened up on Michigan Avenue in Lansing, Michigan. There are now five dispensaries and/or compassion clubs . Are other cities seeing a rapid growth of cannabis businesses in their cities. I am glad to see new businesses on the East Side of Lansing (businesses pay taxes).

Will this have an impact on price?

I really wish these 'dispensaries' would quit using the term Compassion Club in their names. There is a big difference between a true CC and a dispensary. Most true CC's are not dispensing medicine under that name, they are usually set up as co-ops, with patients and caregivers meeting and doing their thing. CC's are also usually non profit, while the dispensaries are making money hand over fist.

The dispensaries that use compassion club in their name are doing a disservice to the true CC's and are confusing the issue to the point that CC's are having a hard time convincing folks that we DON'T distribute meds. The public is confused, the patients/caregivers are confused...which is not good for the movement as a whole...j.b.

and people wonder why cities are instating moritoriums(sp?) on zoning for these businesses... They needs a way to get thier fingers in the money, which is fair if you ask me...

I'd LOVE to see this movement start rehabilitating the economy in MI...

I'm at the END of my unemployment, with no jobs in sight... :(

Thank you JB for that distinction.

Compassion Clubs (in the beginning) were established to dispense information only. Some may recall that I made a comment about protecting the name Compassion Club and took a lot of flack for it. This is exactly what I/we were afraid would happen, a blurring between legal compassionate support groups like the ones the MMMA were promoting and establishing, and for profit or criminal entities operating under the cover of a support group.

The MMMA needs to develop a bonafide certification process for clubs so the unsuspecting general public can differentiate between legitimate support organizations and retail businesses. There is no question the MMMA could have provided more direction to clubs in the beginning, but because club leaders were left to their own imaginations we have many great examples of how to operate and fund clubs. Now that time has elapsed and experience has been gained, maybe it's time to revisit club sanctioning.

Here's how we operate in Cheboygan...

We have the Northern Michigan Compassion Club that operates in Cheboygan, Petoskey and Gaylord with monthly meetings at public libraries or other general public locations. Then we have another entity that is our collective. That entity manages patients and helps patients and caregivers get the support and information they need beyond what the CC offers. We also have a for profit entity that sells services and merchandise. While it's OK to share staff between entities, it's extremely important to have clear separation between them.

Thank you JB for that distinction.

Compassion Clubs (in the beginning) were established to dispense information only. Some may recall that I made a comment about protecting the name Compassion Club and took a lot of flack for it. This is exactly what I/we were afraid would happen, a blurring between legal compassionate support groups like the ones the MMMA were promoting and establishing, and for profit or criminal entities operating under the cover of a support group.

The MMMA needs to develop a bonafide certification process for clubs so the unsuspecting general public can differentiate between legitimate support organizations and retail businesses. There is no question the MMMA could have provided more direction to clubs in the beginning, but because club leaders were left to their own imaginations we have many great examples of how to operate and fund clubs. Now that time has elapsed and experience has been gained, maybe it's time to revisit club sanctioning.

Here's how we operate in Cheboygan...

We have the Northern Michigan Compassion Club that operates in Cheboygan, Petoskey and Gaylord with monthly meetings at public libraries or other general public locations. Then we have another entity that is our collective. That entity manages patients and helps patients and caregivers get the support and information they need beyond what the CC offers. We also have a for profit entity that sells services and merchandise. While it's OK to share staff between entities, it's extremely important to have clear separation between them.

I definitely think it would help the 'public' understand the difference but as for LEO and prosecuting attorneys... a CC will STILL get its share of 'undercover' attention.

Be assured of that.

Archived