Basement Humidity Problem

jamesd

I have quite a bit of water moving through my basement due to a large saltwater aquarium. I've never grown, but I figured that some of my fellow patients may have dealt with this issue. What solutions have you utilized to lower humidity in a cost effective way.

Warmest Regards,

James

I have quite a bit of water moving through my basement due to a large saltwater aquarium. I've never grown, but I figured that some of my fellow patients may have dealt with this issue. What solutions have you utilized to lower humidity in a cost effective way.

Warmest Regards,

James

Seal your area as well as possible , set up air intake and exhaust then determine your humidity in your grow space, With 85% you will probably need a dehumidifier, for that there are choices but a simple way is find one easy on craigslist for $50-$100 ,every space has it's personality, and a solution

To me a dehumidifier sounds like a skin creme coverings acne, it doesn't adress the cause of the imbalance. I agree with the first part of what Romen said- close off the space needed, bring in FRESH AIR from a window and vent air out the chimney or furnace exhaust etc. You must have intake and exhaust anyways. More than a humidifier you may need a heater to keep the temps around 85 degrees, and put your intake/exhust on timers or have environmental controls for temp/humidity that turn the fans on/off. At least start with this and see if the dehumidifier is necessary for the room. peace.

you want your heat to be around 70-75 at all times....also note that if your house just gets hot normally, letting cold air in will not just drop the temp, it will also raise your humidity.... combining hot air and cold air (just like what you see in the weather) allows the moister to form in the air.

so you have 2 options...the first being seal the room completely...suck in air from out side of your grow space push it through your lights and directly out of your room.....the second being...place your carbon filter in your room and push that air through your lights and then exhaust it from your room...

the second will not help you with your humidity problem, the first wont exactly help either, but with the first it will allow you to address the issue with fewer problems.....also remember if you are running hydro you are going to get humid, all those clay pellets basically wick the water into the air....but if you have your aquarium down there (plus we do live in michigan ) you are going to have to deal with humidity....

SEAL IT UP and run a dehum!!!

also remember that your forced air furnace will DRY up your house real soon, i use humdifiers in the winter. right now i'm pulling 3 gallons of water a day from my dehumdifier.

also make sure your hydrometer reading is accurate, most are not, check it outside with weatherunderground.com

you should be able to get a great deal on a dehumidifier right now.

Archived