Sunday Morning, Christmas Booze Sales Ok'd For Michigan

"... suicide is slow with liquor."

(Thanks, OZZY!")

Here's the sub-headlines, excerpts and a link to the story by Chris Christoff and Detroit Free Press, November 11, 2010:

Lawmakers pass bill, which now goes to governor

Liquor sales on Sunday morning and Christmas Day were approved by the Legislature on Wednesday and headed to Gov. Jennifer Gran-holm, whose spokesman indicated she will sign the bill.

The compromise eliminated provisions from an earlier bill that drew Granholm's veto in October.

Soon, retailers, restaurants and bars will be able to sell beer, wine and spirits Sunday mornings starting at 7 a.m. Current law prohibits Sunday sales until noon.

Liquor sales also will be allowed until 11:59 p.m. Christmas Eve, and then after noon Christmas Day. Current law prohibits sales after 9 p.m. Dec. 24 and all day Dec. 25.

But store owners will have to pay an additional $160 annual fee for the Sunday morning and Christmas sales.

The bill also will:

• Allow grocery stores and other alcohol retailers to offer free beer and wine samples to shoppers - but no more than three samples of 2 ounces each.

• Allow restaurants to offer up to two free samples of beer or wine per customer, allowing them to taste before they buy a glass or pitcher.

• Allow wineries to charge for samples of their wines. Current law prohibits them from charging money.

The bill eliminates a provision from an earlier bill that would have allowed restaurants that cater events off-premises to use their own wholesale-bought liquor.

Liquor store owners objected to the change because it would have cost them business from caterers.

Also eliminated was a section allowing community colleges special liquor licences for culinary arts programs."

For the rest of this jaw-dropping story, link here:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20101111/NEWS04/11110338/Sunday-morning-Christmas-booze-sales-OK-d-for-Michigan

End Insanity.

SHARE The HEALING

"Also eliminated was a section allowing community colleges special liquor licences for culinary arts programs."

ROTF.... sheesh, do they even know what that particular license is for? So a cooking class can have wine and stuff for cooking with. Or so that a wine class can actually have tasting going on in the class.. Tasting, not drinking. And under 21 students are required to spit the taste back out!

Interesting stuff...

Alcoholics can now go store to store and drink for free and how will they get to the stores that are so spread out? Drive of course!

So much for the family values mantra the politicians are so fond of chanting.

The values they are promoting are the values of "Da Family".

Remember the business of America is "da business"...

Badda bing!

more drinking less smoking, is what im getting from this,,wtf? Why are grown adults in a free country told what they can and cant do as far as drinking and smoking! I totaly understand the drunk driving thing is out of control, I myself have gotten drunk driving, my bad, thank god i didnt hurt any one or myself! Pay do the time for the crime and im gone, now dont tell me I cant drink or smoke!

Peace

FTW

Jim

that law never mad sense to me anyways....and its funny to hear people saying that there are going to be "SOOOOOO many accidents on sunday morning" yeah because there are sooooo many people who want get in accidents any other morning of the week. Why are people so afraid of any kind of change???? just because something has been a certain way for a long time does not make it right....

what?

you guys are tired of being told when u can and or can't exercise your free right to purchase a alleged non addictive, psychoactive alcoholic beverage?

i think the real fear here is people not going to church on Sundays for their "fix" they can just go buy their booze now instead of going to confession....

hmmm

sorry grossly overstated

i approve of the proposed changes...but only because the motivation to block the sales were stupid to begin with...and the government NEEDS OUT OF OUR LIVES even if it's only ever so slightly....please...

and thank u

peace

that law never mad sense to me anyways....and its funny to hear people saying that there are going to be "SOOOOOO many accidents on sunday morning" yeah because there are sooooo many people who want get in accidents any other morning of the week. Why are people so afraid of any kind of change???? just because something has been a certain way for a long time does not make it right....

I am not sure the folks around here are complaining about opening up the sales on the proposed days or the additional times... I think the responses around here, are more about the hypocrisy involved in opening up more opportunities to drink and drive (aka free samples, and extended hours), while the folks in Lansing continue to try and close down opportunities folks have to acquire medicine.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some increase in accidents, as the unintended consequences are realized. Something along the lines of folks drinking more on Saturday nights because they don't have to worry about waiting to get their drinks the next morning for the game... Or folks being able to start drinking 6 hours before the football game on Sunday morning, as opposed to just 1 hour now.

My position is that it should be available 24/7 and 365 days a year. I believe in self responsibility, and along with that comes individual freedoms to make choices on when, what, and where; also the consequences of making a bad choice about when, what and where.

;)

My position is that it should be available 24/7 and 365 days a year. I believe in self responsibility, and along with that comes individual freedoms to make choices on when, what, and where; also the consequences of making a bad choice about when, what and where.

thumbsu.gif

i agree, and if people abuse these freedoms, then address the behavior and their actions, not the plant, or bottle...

This article shows you exactly how backwards things are. Alcohol has absolutely no value, and anyone who has consumed it long term, will tell you that. If it came out on the market today it would and should be a schedule one drug. Causes over 20k deaths every year just from drunk driving accidents alone. A clear showing of where we have our priorities. And what a great quite little story while people pound there heads on this forum trying to make some sense of the MMMMA law and the alcohol consumers get to buy more.

sick isnt it..

like they just dont hear us..

This article shows you exactly how backwards things are. Alcohol has absolutely no value, and anyone who has consumed it long term, will tell you that. If it came out on the market today it would and should be a schedule one drug. Causes over 20k deaths every year just from drunk driving accidents alone. A clear showing of where we have our priorities. And what a great quite little story while people pound there heads on this forum trying to make some sense of the MMMMA law and the alcohol consumers get to buy more.

Alcoholics can drink for free and I can be put in jail for medicating. Kansas...We ain't even on Earth it sounds like anymore.

LOL I always wondered if anyone would care enough to try and change it so they can by booze on sunday morning, if they are that desperado for a drink they prolly do not need it anyway, gotta appreciate some control on alcohol some people cannot help themselves and just drink and drive non stop, they can't change and won't change why make it easier for them to endanger real people of value?

Archived