US CA: Editorial: Fixing State's Marijuana Laws

US CA: Medi-pot Activist Takes Protest To Jail

US CA: Back On The Pot

US CA: Board Reviews Medical Pot Law In County

US CA: Council Studies Extension on Pot Clinics

US CA: Editorial: California Is a Schizophrenic When It Comes

US CA: Growing Their Own In Sebastopol

US CA: Pot Tax Ready If We Ever Need It

More News Select a State See Map Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia FEDERAL Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Check State Laws

17 Nov 2010

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

California

-------

The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold hearings today on what is surely one of the most curious almost inexplicable Obama administration appointees. Michele Leonhart, a Bush administration holdover who has been acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration for the past two years, has been nominated to head the agency for the duration.

It is genuinely puzzling that President Barack Obama would nominate Ms. Leonhart, as she seems to be diametrically opposed to the administration's stated policies, especially on medical marijuana. The Department of Justice issued a memo in November 2009 stating that the federal government would not raid dispensaries in states with medical marijuana laws, so long as those facilities were complying with relevant state law. Since then, however, the DEA has conducted numerous raids in apparent violation of that policy.

Perhaps the worst instance came in July, after Mendocino County promulgated an ordinance regulating medical marijuana growing and invited local growers to register with the sheriff. The very first person to register, Joy Greenfield, 68, whose garden had been inspected and approved by the local sheriff, was almost immediately raided by the DEA. Informed that the local sheriff had approved the garden, the DEA agent in charge responded, "I don't care what the sheriff says."

Ms. Leonhart should be questioned about how the DEA plans to engage with local law enforcement in the growing number of states with valid medical marijuana laws. She should also be questioned about her relationship with Andrew Chambers, a longtime DEA informant branded a perjurer by federal appellate courts. And, questioned about allegations that she was involved with the firing of a whistle-blower who exposed a "house of death" used by the Juarez drug cartel to murder people.

The Obama administration has emphasized its disagreement with Bush-era policies on almost every front. Sticking with a Bush appointee at the DEA is profoundly puzzling. The president should rescind her appointment and seek someone more in line with the administration's stated policies.

powered.pngMAP posted-by: Jo-D

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif Pubdate: Wed, 17 Nov 2010

Source: Orange County Register, The (CA)

Copyright: 2010 The Orange County Register

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/321

http://www.mapinc.org/norml/v10/n943/a12.htm

bubblegrower for DEA cheif.

i would swear to use every single dollar to crack down on drugs.... illegal illicit drugs..... and the folks who use them. no monster vacations on your dollar from me.

let me be DEA chief and i would be shaking the beds of every single qualified doctor under me at 4am and getting their arses awake to find out whats a medicine and what isnt. the right way. what works for real?

let me run the DEA and mexico becomes ours in the long run. they dont have squat there anyways..... they live off of us. "hey senor, one american dollar por favor".... my lord... you ever visit mexico??

forget them and their ditch weed. more border patrol. more cannabis research. no more raids until that research is completed and the AMA has current results.

more home growing to support our needy, less crack, cocaine, heroine.

hell, ill do it for free.

bubblegrower for DEA cheif.

i would swear to use every single dollar to crack down on drugs.... illegal illicit drugs..... and the folks who use them. no monster vacations on your dollar from me.

let me be DEA chief and i would be shaking the beds of every single qualified doctor under me at 4am and getting their arses awake to find out whats a medicine and what isnt. the right way. what works for real?

let me run the DEA and mexico becomes ours in the long run. they dont have squat there anyways..... they live off of us. "hey senor, one american dollar por favor".... my lord... you ever visit mexico??

forget them and their ditch weed. more border patrol. more cannabis research. no more raids until that research is completed and the AMA has current results.

more home growing to support our needy, less crack, cocaine, heroine.

hell, ill do it for free.

Bubble... got a deal for ya... you make me President of the U.S.A. and I'll make you head of the DEA my friend... we'll proceed to paint it green.

Here's another version article. I cant believe she is going to be such a shoe in... I'm quickly losing any faith I had left in this administration.

Especially after the elections and all the tada about the Jobs. Then they veto the Unemployment Extensions. Then try to slide this NO woman into position so they can continue to terorize the World.

http://www.fdalawblo...inistrator.html

Check out my comment ? at the bottom. Hit em up!

I caught 'em Red Handed trying to misinform and add to her credentials: not on my watch !

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, best answer.

Charge customs and border protection with keeping the mexican crap out and let the FBI handle interstate problems. Dump the DEA.

Better yet lets get some accountability! Especially after GWB breeched the civil rights of neerly every citizen on the planet under the guise of the Patriot

Act . During his administration the appointee prior to Michelle Leonhart was Karen Tandy. She stepped down amidst ongoing investigations regarding their activities concerning

medical marijuana patients. Her predecessor Asa Hutchison Appointed in 2001 by GW was a former Federal Prosecutor from Fort Smith, Arkansas. His last case as a US Justice involved Barry Seal a pilot involed in the Iran/Contra affairs who had been running drugs as well as doing work for the Justice Department and DEA after his first bust of course.

On February 19, 1986, Barry Seal was shot to death in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in front of a branch of the Salvation Army on Airline Hwy, which he was required to stay at as a condition of his plea bargain, making him an easy target for retaliation. As he sat in his parked Cadillac, a man carrying a Mac-10 machine pistol approached him. He then emptied a magazine into his body, neck and head, killing Seal instantly, which brought the DEA's most important investigation to an end. Colombian assassins sent by the Medellin Cartel were apprehended while trying to leave Louisiana soon after Seal's murder.

In 1987, Luis Carlo Quintero-Cruz (the trigger man), Miguel Velez, and Bernardo Antonio Vasquez, were convicted of the slaying of Barry Seal and sentenced to life in prison.

Huchinson won a seat in Congress in 1996 and after three terms was later appointed by GWB to head the DEA in 2001. Later promoted to Border and Transportation Security Directorate, the largest division of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with more than 110,000 employees. Hutchinson was confirmed by unanimous consent by the U.S. Senate on January 23, 2003. Ms Tandy was appointed to administer the DEA thereafter.

Archived