Worms On Clones

420 grower

Ok I've been trying to clone for a while now but I stopped using rock wool b/c of gnat larvae kept getting to the roots. Now I'm using dirt in a dome and I pulled one out today and sure enough I got little clear worms eating away at the stem. My dome is on a heating pad. I don't know what to do. Please help.

Ok I've been trying to clone for a while now but I stopped using rock wool b/c of gnat larvae kept getting to the roots. Now I'm using dirt in a dome and I pulled one out today and sure enough I got little clear worms eating away at the stem. My dome is on a heating pad. I don't know what to do. Please help.

i used sliced potatoes on the soil,they eat on the slices then replace it daily.or bake your soil to kill anything in it

Well it even happened with rockwool so how could they be getting in there? I'm thinkin of makin an aerocloner. Does anyone know how long that method takes usually? I have good strains I want to keep going and not have to keep buying clones.

Question, where are the gnats coming from? Also, are you 100% positive that they are just gnats and not another pest?

Ultimately, I think you're going to need to figure those out before making much progress. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're combating the symptom rather than the true cause, and you'll struggle regardless of which medium you choose. If I had to guess, I'd guess that you're growing in soil and that your soil is too wet (common cause of gnats.)

I'd recommend a thorough cleaning of your entire growing space and sterilization of all cloning equipment. Also, clean your cloning equipment well each time you clone. Once clean, keep your clones separate from your soil plants, making it more difficult for the gnats to travel from the soil to your clones (either in a different room or in a converted cabinet or something.) When you clone, carefully inspect the clones to make sure you aren't bringing pests from the mother plant to the clone tray (again, they have to be getting in there somehow and that seems to be the most direct way.)

I've personally never had problems with gnat larvae in the cloning medium, so this isn't speaking from experience directly. I have fought gnats before, though. FYI, I use root riot cubes for cloning and have had great results.

Good luck.

Archived