Contest To Name A New Strain...

MiMeds4U

Hey everyone i am planing on making new strains and wanted someone to help me name one of them.. here is the cross strains i will be producing..

Chocolate Thai X Pineappple Express X Strawberry Cough... I was thinking banana split but there is no banana flavor in it any ideas?

I will be making many more strains but for this first one we need a name so help us everyone :)

Alexander

MiMeds4U@gmail.com

Hey everyone i am planing on making new strains and wanted someone to help me name one of them.. here is the cross strains i will be producing..

Chocolate Thai X Pineappple Express X Strawberry Cough... I was thinking banana split but there is no banana flavor in it any ideas?

I will be making many more strains but for this first one we need a name so help us everyone :)

Alexander

MiMeds4U@gmail.com

What about , Thai Chocolate Passion Fruit Express , or Chocolate Thai Fruitopia or Saigon Chocolaty Fruitilicious . Send me a Z er two & I'm sure I'll come up with a Better More Accurate Descriptive name :unsure: ,,,

Alexander

MiMeds4U@gmail.com

I'm not a breeder,but if you cross three f2s, doesn't that really just give you a bunch of variables(diff looking plants).

Without back crossing to stabilize the strain there will be no consistency.

Alexander

MiMeds4U@gmail.com

Alexander,

Are you perhaps talking about hybrids?

There's not enough names out there for all the hybrids, and it wold be pointless to name them because they aren't true breeding. That's why folks just state what the cross is, i.e. Chocolate Thai X Pineapple Express.

Strains are strains only once they've been bred for dominant or "true-breeding" characteristics. Other than that they're called

"hybrids." This ain't my rule, just how it is brother. When you cross two strains you're making F1 (1st filial) Hybrid seeds.. F1s in their own right have desirable characteristics, F1 Vigor and such.

A strain's characteristics are stabilized through several generations of growth, selection, crosses and back-crosses.

If you make a hybrid, and name it, what characteristics can you give it? If all the offspring do not grow like the parents, you've created an unstable (unpredictable) product.

Genetic selection and breeding is all about predictability. Mendel was a math student before he joined the monastery, which was his saving grace with regards to determining the dominance predictions, (the math not the monastery)

Sure it sounds tasty to cross a chocolate with a strawberry, but essentially what you're doing is starting at square one again with regards to trait dominance. See, you're chocolate flavor or aroma could be recessive in the new cross, so no chocolate.

Each seed will only get half of the DNA chain, so it could possibly have a recessive trait that was bred "out" of the original strain that comes back as dominant in the new hybrid. Up to half of all the desirable traits could now become recessive in the new mix. When the originals were mated their traits were recorded and manipulated to give the current strains you're using.

My advice, and please know it's just that, not golden or anything, just my opinion.... you'd be better off starting with two strains you know well and know what to expect from. Then do your crossing to isolate the desired characteristics. When you're seeds grow up all the same, you've stabilized a new strain, which you can them name.

With the availability of pure landrace seeds out there, you could create an entirely new, never seen before strain with killer characteristics. Just takes time, good record keeping and commitment (not to oversimplify).

Hey, crosses of some of the more popular strains will be well received by many growers. Most folks wouldn't turn down free seeds, but if you're selling them, many will want to know what to expect from them.

Best of luck either way!

Alexander

MiMeds4U@gmail.com

Chocolate Pineapple Cough

Here are some picts showing that strawberry chocolate froth of Tahquamenon Falls:

imagesqtbnANd9GcTwr3pfTmiueUyk_UDcXlvEhQbpw9ZTQxKh2R6UaekEb33esymZ.jpg

imagesqtbnANd9GcTqaMBsufdkVwUU3DN3D7GR608dTDDAeEMcjfiLYhpqXheBYiwyhQ.jpg

Tahquamenon Cough, pure Michigan...the feeling's forever...

lol! love the name- and good photoshopping! :thumbsu:

(didn't you love those Pure Michigan ads on Youtube?)

lol! love the name- and good photoshopping! :thumbsu:

(didn't you love those Pure Michigan ads on Youtube?)

Why thank you.

I did no photoshopping though, that's how the upper and lower Tahquamenon Falls look.

The UP is like a whole other country...

Archived