Light Reflective Material

johnbs8

Im in the near end stage of building my grow room and im wondering if i should just paint flat white or would it be better to use reflective mylar material? ive heard flat white is highly reflective but im a painter and i say its not lol. what does anyone else think? paint white or mylar? Thanks Johnb

Flat white paint is very reflective. Studies show flat white paint can be around 90% reflective. There are other benefits too. It helps keep the heat down in the room by absorbing heat from the lights. Mylar reflects heat. In contrast to mylar, it does not create "hot spots" that can damage the plants. It is easy to work with. It is cleanable and does not need replaced often. Unlike mylar it does not give places for mold and pest to hide. It is cheap and easy to clean. White paint is the way to go if your set up allows it. Remember that a mirror absorbs most the light, so just because it does not appear reflective does not mean it is not.

Flat white paint is very reflective. Studies show flat white paint can be around 90% reflective. There are other benefits too. It helps keep the heat down in the room by absorbing heat from the lights. Mylar reflects heat. In contrast to mylar, it does not create "hot spots" that can damage the plants. It is easy to work with. It is cleanable and does not need replaced often. Unlike mylar it does not give places for mold and pest to hide. It is cheap and easy to clean. White paint is the way to go if your set up allows it. Remember that a mirror absorbs most the light, so just because it does not appear reflective does not mean it is not.

I second every word you said. :goodjob: The low loss of reflectivity compared to foyon and mylar is acceptable.

I spray my room down between grows for insect control. Try doing that with film. Most paints already have a anti fungal in them so it's just another layer of defense.

+1000 :goodjob:

Im in the near end stage of building my grow room and im wondering if i should just paint flat white or would it be better to use reflective mylar material? ive heard flat white is highly reflective but im a painter and i say its not lol. what does anyone else think? paint white or mylar? Thanks Johnb

here is what i purchased.... http://www.nehydro.com/mylar-reflective-film/panda-film-bplastic-5-5-mil-10-x-50-p-534?zenid=uq6k84g2ks890q1m1pn5f53963

thats wierd about the reflectiveness of flat paint. ive been painting for 10yrs + and have always seen that flat hides more due to it being less reflective then say a semigloss. i can def paint in my setup as that was the plan from the getgo. its all new drywall so a good coat of primer should do it. thanks for the input all TY, Johnb

Light, as I understand it, is fluid and seeks to fill outward into any space it can.Mylar can have hot spots if not flat and even, whereas the flat white walls allow the light to fill out the room evenly.So I've been told , however as I believe there is never an absolute right and wrong in this game,just varying degrees of correctness (optimist model)I have used both and didn't see great visible difference I think both are adequate choices as well as the panda film. A different take on this is the problem a film can present, I have seen humidity build up trapped between mylar and wall it was attached to leading to a potential mold issue. I have seen mylar fall off a wall ,no damage just pain in the donkey. In the end I prefer white paint , cheaper,cleaner,easier one less thing to keep an eye on. As always every space has it's problems and it's solutions so what works for one might not be suited to another, just my 2 cents worth of babble Peace

Archived