Idea For Rallies

mayorherb

I had a idea, the idea of a rally(one is) more people, BODY count. I have a big grill we can put a bunch of hot dogs on at once. shut lid..Open in a bout 10 - 15 mins..So if Compassion Clubs all pitched in, wouldnt cost alot for one..Possible people bring dish to pass...But if you mentioned FREE hot dogs, We could possibly get extra body counts...A idea is all..

We'll come up with a plan. We need a shuttle service and seating. We need volunteers to assist our folks. Thanks, Bb

Again it was a idea i had, And yes some assistance for the ones that need it..maybe if we show up with a bunch of picnic tables with the grill..We could say it is a town celabration..but yes could cook alot of hot dogs qucik..

We'll put together a food/transportation/chairs/table fund for the rally. Remember folks the May 25 date can be shifted once we are organized. We need Compassion Club leaders across the state to start helping coordinate this event. Organization will make us or break us. Thanks Mayor! Bb

Yes, and maybe figure out how to get more from up north this way..Some how a bus or 2..I dont know..

Bisharoo, LOL!!! I love it!

FOOD: Hot dogs are one of the worst foods anyone can eat, even the so-called healthy ones. I don't mean to lecture anyone, honest, I'm just concerned. Of course it's your choice, and if anyone says "potato chips," I'll say the same thing. As an alternative, I suggest something like granola bars, they're easy to transport, no cooking needed. I'd be willing to buy them. I'll also look for something softer for those who have trouble eating hard foods. We'll need liquid refreshments, bottled water, trash bags, and make sure there's a bathroom nearby, someone needs to make sure they are clean and accessible. Can someone please do site logistics?

We will have places for people to sit, someone please check the place out see where there'd be a shady spot, ok?

Live music would be nice, too. This stuff would happen away from the courthouse, right? but not too far away? A list of needs is being worked out. Is someone working on printed announcements for the event? What about handouts for distribution there, To keep costs down, it'd be good to only have a few of some important documents, like, a copy of our law and something about 3MA. Whoever handles the permit, check into what we can and can't do. I have some ideas but need to talk to whoever is in charge of that so please PM me or whoever is in charge of that department, ok?

Drivers: if you are disabled or driving a disabled person, someone should have a disability placard to hang on the front window when you're parked. If you can walk/stand, but not for long, try to get a wheelchair to bring with you or at least a chair.

Site Items: First aid kit, chairs, water, napkins, plates, cups, utensils, (f you're gonna have hot dogs and/or other food), lots of bags for trash and something for any leftovers. Granola bars can be crumbly, would need a plate or napkin for that, too. We must keep the site as clean as we found it; someone could bring gloves or something to pick up any trash with, need setup and cleanup crews. People drop things, and may be unable to bend over to retrieve them. Someone can walk around to make sure everyone is ok, especially those who may need any assistance. Depending on the size of the place and the number of people, have some one be at one end and someone be at the other end, with a cell phone or walkie talkie, and someone who everyone knows they can flag down for help,, who communicates anything that needs attention. If someone needs first aid, there should be a way to get help fast, I wouldn't wanna leave someone alone who''s hurting, I'd wanna stay with them but be able to get someone who can get help as quickly as possible. Someone could wear something that is recognized as a person who can get or give help. I don't know CPR so I hope someone there will, just in case. Whoever can bring their own items, that'd be great. If anyone will be smoking cigarettes you might wanna bring something to put your ashes and cig. butts in if there's no facility for that. I can't be near that. We wanna have a good rally that gets our message out, have some fun, and be seen as responsible citizens. If you have medicine, whatever it is, use it where appropriate. If it's MM I wouldn't risk having it on site. Remember, we want to give a good impression. Our image is on the line, our reputation; our actions will speak for us long after we're gone.

Committees, please work together and have back-up if you need extra help or something happens that you can't make it. I've been to enough rallies to have a good idea how they work.

Sb

Bisharoo, LOL!!! I love it!

FOOD: Hot dogs are one of the worst foods anyone can eat, even the so-called healthy ones. I don't mean to lecture anyone, honest, I'm just concerned. Of course it's your choice, and if anyone says "potato chips," I'll say the same thing. As an alternative, I suggest something like granola bars, they're easy to transport, no cooking needed. I'd be willing to buy them. I'll also look for something softer for those who have trouble eating hard foods. We'll need liquid refreshments, bottled water, trash bags, and make sure there's a bathroom nearby, someone needs to make sure they are clean and accessible. Can someone please do site logistics?

We will have places for people to sit, someone please check the place out see where there'd be a shady spot, ok?

Live music would be nice, too. This stuff would happen away from the courthouse, right? but not too far away? A list of needs is being worked out. Is someone working on printed announcements for the event? What about handouts for distribution there, To keep costs down, it'd be good to only have a few of some important documents, like, a copy of our law and something about 3MA. Whoever handles the permit, check into what we can and can't do. I have some ideas but need to talk to whoever is in charge of that so please PM me or whoever is in charge of that department, ok?

Drivers: if you are disabled or driving a disabled person, someone should have a disability placard to hang on the front window when you're parked. If you can walk/stand, but not for long, try to get a wheelchair to bring with you or at least a chair.

Site Items: First aid kit, chairs, water, napkins, plates, cups, utensils, (f you're gonna have hot dogs and/or other food), lots of bags for trash and something for any leftovers. Granola bars can be crumbly, would need a plate or napkin for that, too. We must keep the site as clean as we found it; someone could bring gloves or something to pick up any trash with, need setup and cleanup crews. People drop things, and may be unable to bend over to retrieve them. Someone can walk around to make sure everyone is ok, especially those who may need any assistance. Depending on the size of the place and the number of people, have some one be at one end and someone be at the other end, with a cell phone or walkie talkie, and someone who everyone knows they can flag down for help,, who communicates anything that needs attention. If someone needs first aid, there should be a way to get help fast, I wouldn't wanna leave someone alone who''s hurting, I'd wanna stay with them but be able to get someone who can get help as quickly as possible. Someone could wear something that is recognized as a person who can get or give help. I don't know CPR so I hope someone there will, just in case. Whoever can bring their own items, that'd be great. If anyone will be smoking cigarettes you might wanna bring something to put your ashes and cig. butts in if there's no facility for that. I can't be near that. We wanna have a good rally that gets our message out, have some fun, and be seen as responsible citizens. If you have medicine, whatever it is, use it where appropriate. If it's MM I wouldn't risk having it on site. Remember, we want to give a good impression. Our image is on the line, our reputation; our actions will speak for us long after we're gone.

Committees, please work together and have back-up if you need extra help or something happens that you can't make it. I've been to enough rallies to have a good idea how they work.

Sb

Thanks for putting up a great list of things that are needed for the March on Lansing

Thanks B&T and everyone! Here's a list and more ideas:

FIND THE CC'S OR SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCE PUTTING ON EVENTS, AND GET ADVICE FROM THEM ON HOW TO HANDLE THESE MATTERS. Anyone familiar with that area, please help.

COMMITTEES: Transportation, includes carpool coordinators, PR, includes spreading the word through flyers, etc., on site media, filming the event, making signs; Entertainment, Site coordinators, includes setup and cleanup/maintenance and scoping out the area beforehand, Food Committee, may include people to bring food to those who need help. There may be a long line for food, if it's in the hot sun, many will not be able to wait there; Emergency personnel, includes people who can be flagged down to give/get help, have first aid, give CPR, call for assistance; .....

be prepared in case of rain, if it rains we need an alternate plan... did I forget anything?

OUT OF TOWN VISITORS: For someone traveling a long distance, can someone offer a place to stay so they don't have to make a long trip on the same day, they'll be tired enough from the event. IF at patient wants a hotel, see if they're MM friendly, though that's not too likely, so please be VERY CAREFUL and plan ahead.

MEDIA CREW, anyone filming the event, please make sure everyone being filmed consents to being in the scene. If anyone there is blind, someone please let them know what's going on so they can decide if they wanna be in it. IF someone doesn't wanna be recognized, find a way to handle that. If it's hot, paper bags will be very uncomfortable I think.

THOSE WHO WILL BE SPEAKING: Find someone who can interpret for those who are deaf. PLEASE be mindful of what you say. I know we have a LOT to be angry about but we must be extremely careful the words we choose and the tone we use. Please don't cuss or swear, don't say anything you can't back up and prove, and stay on topic. I know that's not always easy, I tend to ramble a lot, I know. Remember, anger can be expressed in a whisper that can be much more powerful than yelling. I gave an example of this some time ago about 2 Native Americans who spoke while music was playing. Even the music had an effect. One spoke in an angry voice, the other practically whispered- the softer voice had much more of an impact on me. Those words needed to be said and heard. It's not just the message, it's also the messenger. Those who may tell their personal story, be careful what details you share, especially when others are involved. These experiences are very personal andsome people may not want them to be shared in public.

ENTERTAINMENT: We may not be allowed to have amplification. Having amps will complicate the situation, due to electrical needs. Then there'd need to be someone on site who can handle any technical glitches. Songs should be carefully chosen, too; I wouldn't wanna hear, "Coming into Los Angeles," for example. It's all about common sense. Songwriters, if you can write a song about our cause, GO FOR IT!

COMMUNICATIONS: Have someone with a computer or cell phone who can occasionally report to the site to let people know how things are going.

PEOPLE WITH CHILDREN and PETS, including service animals: Please make sure you have whatever they need, keep dogs on a leash, be careful if they wanna play with someone else's dog, it's bound to happen, kids will wanna pet them, make sure it's OK to pet someone else's dog, but not their service animal, (see special note for service animals); don't feed someone else's dog without asking, bring toys to keep kids busy, I love playing with children and have toys to share, I'd be glad to bring some and play with them if it's alright. Be careful about toys that bounce and roll, we don't want them lost, broken, or causing accidents. I have a ring toss game that always goes over well wherever I go, and the way I do it is different than the traditional way, but it's safe and anyone can join. I'd love to have an area for children to play in, where the games can be set up. Make sure there's a place for babies to be changed.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SERVICE ANIMALS: These dogs are working for their owners, usually when they're working, they wear a special harness and some wear a specially made piece of cloth that lets others know they are working, which means, we are not supposed to pet them, it'll distract them. Don't give them food or do anything to them. If you want to know more about them and how they're trained or something, don't be afraid to ask. I've known some owners who do allow their dogs to be petted, but it'd always respectful and courteous to ASK FIRST. Really it's a bad idea to pet a working animal.

If you see someone with a cane of any kind, be extra careful. Those with white canes will be tapping them in front and on the sides, make sure you don't get tapped and please don't step on them and be careful of anyone in a wheelchair, too, make sure you, any animal or child is out of the way of any moving object..

Above all, please be considerate of everyone around you, if someone needs help, please do what you can. We need to take care of eachother, show the world what a wonderful family we are. See how this plant has brought us all together?

Sb

OK BB and everyone. Being I don't know the extent of how past 3MA events were handled, if there was a sound system, and other things, I thought it'd be worth mentioning. Oh I forgot to mention having a designated "lost and found" person, so if someone loses something, they know who to go to. If anyone finds something and can't find its owner, they can be assigned to hold onto it till its owner can be found, especially if it's important. We'd have arrange how they'd get their things back.. I've lost valuable things at events and never got them back, the site owners said they couldn't be responsible for anything, so that's a consideration to be aware of, too. As soon as I discovered I lost this very important thing, which I think was a pair of prescription sunglasses, I called a TV station to ask if they'd help me but they flat our refused.. This was in another state but I'm sure the same would happen here, especially with a rally like ours, can you imagine calling the media and asking for help locating a lost item from an MM rally?

Sb

This is an example of the MMMA in action. Just a couple of months after this, we won again in Saginaw. We will succeed, if we do the work! Thanks, bb

My wife and I were extremely proud to be there that cold and windy day in Battle Creek.

Deep in my heart I feel that Joseph Casias is the "poster child" of our movement whether he realizes this or not.

This law was voted for because of PATIENTS!

I'm SO ready for Lansing...so very, very ready.

We need well over 1000 people to attend and lots and lots of news coverage.

Mizerman

p.s. it's NOT an option to stay home - if you stay home, then say good-bye to our law protecting the rights of patients and caregivers............and COMPASSION CLUBS! (Then, we'll all be SLAVES TO THE DISPENSARY MODEL)

WHOEVER'S DOING SITE LOGISTICS: Please remember to check for accessibility especially in restrooms. I hope they're ok, it'd cost more to rent a porta-potty, would need more than one, add that to the other expenses, renting buses is gonna take a BIG bite out of wherever the funds are coming from. I gotta look for the flyer so I can print it out.

Sb

• 2 months later...

WHOEVER'S DOING SITE LOGISTICS: Please remember to check for accessibility especially in restrooms. I hope they're ok, it'd cost more to rent a porta-potty, would need more than one, add that to the other expenses, renting buses is gonna take a BIG bite out of wherever the funds are coming from. I gotta look for the flyer so I can print it out.

Sb

Our compassion club is paying for our own bus....

We'll put together a food/transportation/chairs/table fund for the rally. Remember folks the May 25 date can be shifted once we are organized. We need Compassion Club leaders across the state to start helping coordinate this event. Organization will make us or break us. Thanks Mayor! Bb

Hope you found a spot for the grill BB..We will be heading out early so we can get in close..We will bring wood in cooker for the smell..ARE other clubs bringing Hot Dogs and fixins?

I'll be glad to help coordinate. That's my area of expertise. Thanks, Bb

HELP, i am getting nervous..Haven't herd if there is a spot for the grill or a time to lite it...OR which clubs if any are bringing hot dogs to put on..or buns, side dishes..chips water.....But most of all we will be there early so we can get it in a good spot..Any idea on what time we should be there with the grill?

http://clarecountycc.ning.com/

Archived