Michigan And Montana Still Overwhelmingly Support Medical Marijuana

thanks2

A minority ruling the majority. Despite the claims of Montana politicians that what the law became is not what the people voted for only 20% of the people want a repeal it.

Polls Show Voters in Michigan and Montana Still Overwhelmingly Support Medical Marijuana (Press Release)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE February 23, 2011

Montana voters reject legislative push for repeal, favor regulation

Amid a push in Montana to repeal the state’s medical marijuana law and litigation related to some aspects of Michigan’s law, new polls show that voters in both states still overwhelmingly support allowing patients to use medical marijuana with doctors’ recommendations. In Montana on Monday, the House of Representatives voted to repeal the state’s voter-enacted law. Meanwhile, the state’s Senate is considering legislation to add regulations to the distribution and cultivation of marijuana in the state. These poll results show that voters want to work with their state legislatures to ensure that access to medical marijuana is protected and any problems that arise are addressed in a rational manner through regulation.

A recent poll conducted by Marketing Resource Group, Inc. revealed that a strong majority of Michigan voters still support the medical marijuana law they approved in November 2008. When asked if they would vote for the law again today, 61% responded that they would. This level of support is nearly identical to the percentage by which the initiative was voted into law, and shows that Michiganders recognize the benefits their medical marijuana program has for sick and dying people in their state.

A statewide poll conducted by Public Policy Polling last weekend found that a sizeable majority of adult Montanans -- 63% -- still supports allowing medical marijuana, and most would support strict new regulations. But, in stark contrast, only 20% support the legislature repealing medical marijuana. An overwhelming 76% believe the Legislature should either adopt new regulations or leave the law unchanged entirely. In 2004, 62% of Montana voters enacted their state’s medical marijuana law.

“These polls show that voters stand firmly behind the compassionate policies they enacted at the ballot box,” said Karen O’Keefe, director of state policies for the Marijuana Policy Project, “Since Montana and Michigan’s laws were enacted, federal policy has improved and states have found better ways to provide patients access and address community concerns. Montana and Michigan should follow the lead of six states and D.C., by providing for well regulated dispensary systems.”

With more than 124,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Marijuana Policy Project is the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the United States. For more information, please visit www.mpp.org.

I am disappointed that Karen O'Keefe thinks that dispensaries are the answer. Everywhere that the dispensary model has been implemented it has resulted in increased crime, higher cost to patients, decreased quality and the loss of thousands of jobs. The voters voted for people helping people, not for businesses helping themselves. I think we side with the voters, not with the politicians, the rich and carpetbaggers. Thanks, Bb

AMEN MY BROTHER..

i say while i do agree with much of what she says, i DO NOT agree about the Dispensories here in Michigan, or anyhwhere for that matter. Dispensories were not originally in Michigans Law on Purpose, they were not to be allowed period. yet we have them. WE Should not support and honesly Can not support any dispensories, and expect the law to not be radically changed.

i say while i do agree with much of what she says, i DO NOT agree about the Dispensories here in Michigan, or anyhwhere for that matter. Dispensories were not originally in Michigans Law on Purpose, they were not to be allowed period. yet we have them. WE Should not support and honesly Can not support any dispensories, and expect the law to not be radically changed.

Timmahh alot of people believe things were left out of the law, so that means its legal! who is correct? leo? dispens owner? I guess it will be decided in court, and you may be rite it may have been left out so the other side says its illegal, sure keeps the court system busy with legal mm pt's either way eh?

Peace

FTW

Jim

i say while i do agree with much of what she says, i DO NOT agree about the Dispensories here in Michigan, or anyhwhere for that matter.

Fair enough. You don't like dispensaries. Noted. Would you promote a new law to make them illegal?

Dispensories were not originally in Michigans Law on Purpose, they were not to be allowed period. yet we have them.

Not quite .. The law didn't mention them to allow for a regulation system to be written later. The door was intentionally left open for them.

If dispensaries were so clearly illegal, why are more than 100 of them openly running in Michigan? There are plenty of people in law enforcement that would love to shut them all down. Yet you don't see that taking place.

Why not? Because "they" don't have a tool (a law) to use against them.

WE Should not support and honesly Can not support any dispensories, and expect the law to not be radically changed.

Perhaps that is what you expect. I don't.

Archived