Kentucky Reduces Penalties For Possession Of.

greenbuddha

Kentucky: Lawmakers Pass Sweeping Sentencing Reform Measure, Reduce Pot Penalties

Share This Page digg.gif spreddit4.gif delicious.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif rsslogo.gif

March 10, 2011 - Frankfort, KY, USA

Frankfort, KY: Democrat Gov. Steve Beshear signed legislation into law last week that seeks to reduce the number of incarcerated nonviolent drug offenders.

The bipartisan measure, House Bill 463, provides treatment-instead-of-incarceration options for defendants found guilty of possessing controlled substances. Supporters of the sentencing reform measure argue that the changes could reap $422 million in gross savings over the next decade.

Specific to marijuana law enforcement, the measure reduces existing penalties regarding the adult possession of up to eight ounces of cannabis from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum of up to 45 days in jail. (Under present law, the offense is punishable by up to one-year in jail.) However, barring extenuating circumstances, most minor marijuana offenders will face probation in lieu of incarceration under the provisions of the new law.

"This overhaul of Kentucky's penal code is the result of a multi-year effort involving members of the executive, legislative and judicial branches," said Gov. Beshear said in a prepared statement. "Over the last three years, we've made headway with aggressive efforts to bring common sense to Kentucky's penal code, and our prison population has dropped each of the past three years. House Bill 463 helps us be tough on crime, while being smart on crime."

For more information, please contact Allen St. Pierre, NORML Executive Director, at (202) 483-5500, or visit the website of the NORML Legal Committee, Kentucky at: http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=legal&Group_ID=4539.

updated: Mar 10, 2011

Share This Page digg.gif spreddit4.gif delicious.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif rsslogo.gif

Wow, all repubs and dems signed on. Why can't Michigan do something this intelligent? Makes me proud to be a Kentucky Hillbilly! "'Sgo Cats!!"hillbilly.jpghillbilly.jpghillbilly.jpg1134.jpgthz23971940.jpg633592796152777571-hillbillies.jpgFunnyPictures-Hillbillymotorcycle.jpghillbillies-1.jpgkhvids.jpgKentuckyHeadhunters-RaveOnFront-1.jpgDerby.jpg58a4-1.jpgY'all come back now, ya hear?Beverly-Hillbillies.jpg

Bish, I have to take issue with the Clampett photos. Those Beverly Hillbillies were from Tennessee, if I recall.

Bish, I have to take issue with the Clampett photos. Those Beverly Hillbillies were from Tennessee, if I recall.

Absolutely correct, but they were from Eastern Tennessee, and I am from Eastern Kentucky, and we had many similarities and kindred spirits. Also, they were the only famous funny hillbillies I could find. I do know some others personally, but I better not out them for knowing me, as I am sure they will deny it!

Absolutely correct, but they were from Eastern Tennessee, and I am from Eastern Kentucky, and we had many similarities and kindred spirits. Also, they were the only famous funny hillbillies I could find. I do know some others personally, but I better not out them for knowing me, as I am sure they will deny it!

And the car was from the Ozark Mts. just outside of Branson Missouri. I talked to the man (about 30 yrs ago) who sold the car for the show.

And the car was from the Ozark Mts. just outside of Branson Missouri. I talked to the man (about 30 yrs ago) who sold the car for the show.

Well that is interesting. I did not know that the car was from the Show Me State! Thanks MedCare, and CedarSpringsCG, it is easy to fit in down there unless you just don't want to. The folks are pretty OK. You would fit right in!Countrysunset-1.gifkentucky.jpgDSCN4981.jpgMyoldKentuckyHome.jpg1296.jpgTopOfCougarMountianwithBlimp.jpgDSCN4242.jpgbestlogo3small.jpghonoringbluegrass.jpg

Kentucky: Lawmakers Pass Sweeping Sentencing Reform Measure, Reduce Pot Penalties