Living With Mmj In Town.

greenbuddha

LETTER OF THE WEEK

(Source:DrugSense Blog)

writeNewsItems();More News Select a State See Map Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia FEDERAL Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virgin Islands Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming Check State Laws

01 Apr 2011

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

-------

DESPITE MARIJUANA, BRECKENRIDGE IS PLENTY SAFE

Re. "Potheads ruining Breckenridge" by Lorie Willis, letters, March 21 I would like to thank Lorie Willis of San Antonio, Texas for her pleasant description of Breckenridge. It is beautiful, and we do love it here. I am concerned about a few points in her letter and would like to share my opinion and some statistics with everyone.

Firstly it was said that Breckenridge is now unsafe due to marijuana legalization. I went to www.neighborhoodscout.com to check the statistics. Breckenridge scored a 74 out of 100 for safety with only .64 violent crimes per year per 1,000 residents; where as a place like San Antonio, Texas scored a 4 out of 100 for safety with 6.87 violent crimes per 1,000 residents annually. Clearly Breckenridge is safer than not only San Antonio but 74 percent of all cities nationwide!

Breckenridge residents voted over 70 percent in favor of legalizing marijuana, up from over 60 percent in 2006 when asked at the state level. Breckenridge residents have been consuming cannabis in high numbers since the late 70s, and its their charm and stewardship of this great land that attracted people like myself and Lorie to visit and live. I would argue we shouldn't let a misconception about our cannabis use lead any of us away from the town of Breckenridge.

Support for legalization grows daily not only in Breck and Summit County but in the nation and the world. As cannabis consumption rises and alcohol abuse drops Breckenridge will only become safer and more family friendly. As always stay classy, Breckenridge

Brian Rogers

Pubdate: Wed, 23 Mar 2011

Source: Summit Daily News ( CO )

Referenced: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v11/n000/a014.html

powered.pngMAP posted-by: Richard Lake

Share This Article delicious.gif digg.gif stumble.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Pubdate: Fri, 1 Apr 2011

Source: DrugSense Blog

Great Post GB !!!

I will commit these statistics to memory...great argument against the false claim that MMJ leads to higher crimes rate....with San Antonia at about 6.87 violent crimes per hundred thousand of population and Breckinridge at.64....a ratio of about 11:1 !!!!

Dr. jinx

[i will also not mention that San Antonio is somewhat closer to a certain International border].

Dr. Jinx

BTW you can use the same tactics, when speakers show up for city council meetings, they frequently try to claim that crime increases around medical marijuana. Use those same statistics to defeat their arguement. They say our kids are getting on marijuana, then tell them the statistics for pill abuse among teens:

" for a third straight year, the Partnership for a Drug-Free America study showed that about 1 in 5 teens have tried prescription drug painkillers such as Vicodin or OxyContin to get high — about 4.5 million teens. It also indicated that many teens feel experimenting with prescription drugs is safer than illegal highs.

Forty percent said prescription medicines were "much safer" than illegal drugs, while 31 percent said there was "nothing wrong" with using prescription drugs "once in a while." The study further found that 29 percent of teens believe prescription pain relievers are non-addictive.

"It's really a case now of accepting the fact that it's here," Partnership President and CEO Steve Pasierb said. "Clearly, this is a true problem in American society."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12803776/ns/health-addictions/

If you read the NIDA's own stats - "1 in 3 teens have used marijuana" while pills are not far behind - 1 in 6 kids have used.." even alcohol beat marijuana 1 out of 2 teens admit to drinking..

As for the statistics of 'those seeking treatment for marijuana' - many of those are court ordered, the only reason the person took the treatment was to get a lenient sentence on an outrageous marijuana charge. Nice try.

-DN

Guest MosCutty

Thanks for sharing, it's pretty funny Breckenridge unsafe. It's about as unsafe as a playpen, unless your in the mountains and fall and twist your ankle from looking at the beautiful peaks.

Besides everyone knows Breckenridge has always had first class Medical MJ even before the CO law. :thumbsu:

Deaths in u.s. from driving 32 million, deaths from mrsa 17 million, deaths from marijuana 0. When people talk about gateway drugs they need to look in their medicinal and liquor cabinet.drugs don't cause crime, prohibition does, people using opiates,meth,crack and other drugs need help with there lives. not high priced drugs from dealers that make them rob and break in cars and houses.I think Spain is a good example for people to look to

Deaths in u.s. from driving 32 million, deaths from mrsa 17 million, deaths from marijuana 0. When people talk about gateway drugs they need to look in their medicinal and liquor cabinet.drugs don't cause crime, prohibition does, people using opiates,meth,crack and other drugs need help with there lives. not high priced drugs from dealers that make them rob and break in cars and houses.I think Spain is a good example for people to look to

Right on, Jaman.

Archived