Cheap Way To Cool My Hood?

Help....need to cool my hood running a 1000w in a raptor no exhaust intake need help installing some cooling...i want DIY answers....i have a sawzaw what else do i need?other than maybe ductwork what type of fans

temps are running around 75 right now w an ac unit on and fans blowing on the hood but its 45 outside so i can only imagine what it will be like when it gets to be summer....(Only reason im hoping for a frigid summer...sorry folks)

any links to diagrams would be appreciated....i have all the tools and tiny bit of electrical knowledge

should it be an outside intake or could i rig something from the ac unit to the hood pumping in cool air because in summer outside intake would be warm air

any help would be appreciated

Peace 420

p.s. working on a tight budget

i am also suffering from a nitrogen def i believe

i am not in flowering and seeing yellowing of lower fan leafs

been giving extremely light nutes with GH flora micro series 1/2 recommended strength using just growth feeding i believe its http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/feeding_charts/GH_KeepItSimple_DrainToWaste.pdf

next feeding will get agressive growth w maybe a lil more of the flora grow

pics in my gallery

3rd grow now

Using furnace/A.C. duct work materials, build a metal box, with a glass bottom, with air inlet and outlet ?

At the 1000 w. level, you are needing a air cooled hood. Or a really tall room, and draw the heat out the top. Either needed to buy that from the start, or need to build one. I run twin 600's with air cooled hoods, and need to watch the heat.

A guy who works for a furnace cleaning/repair company might be able to build a box for you. Not sure if I would tell him what for. Tin knocker or tin smith.

Trying to think what else might work to house the hood. How big is the Raptor ?

Maybe a case for a small fridge ? A metal storage box or footlocker. A chunk of larger dimension industrial duct work. A 30 or 50 gallon metal barrel cut in half, like for a BBQ.

Just throwing ideas out there. Flip a metal livestock feed/water container upside down, from Tractor or Farmer Supply. Tool box for truck bed, or under belly for semi. Call a junk yard or scrap hauler.

Peace.

The cheapest way to cool is not to grow with Metal halides or HPS I grow with Litro Grow 5000 that run so cool that the plants can grow right into them with out burn there fore i do not need any AC to cool the room and my yields are the same as using 1000 watt hps and metal halide in combination

Anonymous 1st Grow - Litro Bulbs - Soil/Hydro - Shiva - 420 Magazine

Cannabis Science, Inc. (CBIS): LITROGROW INTERNATIONAL ( http://www.litrogrow.com ) along with a

LITROGROW: NEW LIGHTING & NUTRIENT TECHNOLOGIES PAVE WAY FOR PATIENT GROW SUCCESS | Deadheads United™

Litro Glow lights along with Litro Grow 1 part neut has greatly reduced my grow cost from $5.00 a gram to less than $2.00 a gram bye bye to high utility bill

The cheapest way to cool is not to grow with Metal halides or HPS I grow with Litro Grow 5000 that run so cool that the plants can grow right into them with out burn there fore i do not need any AC to cool the room and my yields are the same as using 1000 watt hps and metal halide in combination

Anonymous 1st Grow - Litro Bulbs - Soil/Hydro - Shiva - 420 Magazine

Cannabis Science, Inc. (CBIS): LITROGROW INTERNATIONAL ( http://www.litrogrow.com ) along with a

LITROGROW: NEW LIGHTING & NUTRIENT TECHNOLOGIES PAVE WAY FOR PATIENT GROW SUCCESS | Deadheads United™

Litro Glow lights along with Litro Grow 1 part neut has greatly reduced my grow cost from $5.00 a gram to less than $2.00 a gram bye bye to high utility bill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even if your yields were close, what about the THC content. Hard to compete with 1,000 Watts. There is a reason all other lights try to compare themselves with 1,000 watt MH and 1,000 HPS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even if your yields were close, what about the THC content. Hard to compete with 1,000 Watts. There is a reason all other lights try to compare themselves with 1,000 watt MH and 1,000 HPS.

Please define your reason for your claim that only HPS and MH only produce high THC in plants.The THC content is based on the health of the plant through out your grow if you were to grow the same strain under both metal halide Hps and Litro and maintained the health of both plants your THC Levels would be the same and the Cannabis Cancer Project will prove this in the future because we are going to take the time and expense to test our oil as to maintain a consistence quality supply to the cancer patient and compile data and help in educating and understanding the ideal ratio of THC, CBD, CBN % in fighting aggressive cancers. Also if these lights were to effect or diminish the ThC levels in the plants do you think Dr Bob Melameade of the Cannabis Science institute would be growing with Litro 5000, So I would have to say that your claim about HPS and Metal Halide lights will produce higher THC levels then other lighting is totally false

Is your Raptor hood the 6" or 8?. Either way, if you only have one 1K light running, then as KingDiamond stated, the 400CFM 6" would be fine. You will still need to duct in/out ambient air from the exterior of your grow to go through the hood to cool it. Its likely your grow will still need to be cooled further with an AC or if your house has Central AC you can connect up a fan to only one side of the Raptor hood and let the other side of the hood sit open in your grow and pull hot air from your grow out through your hood (cooling both your hood and grow simultaneously), but you will need to cut another vent hole to allow in cool house air into your grow. You can run that cycle continuously to cool during 'on' time but beware that method will have odor consequences and should be carbon filtered.

There is a reason all other lights try to compare themselves with 1,000 watt MH and 1,000 HPS.

That is my statement. I have the same statement when people claim that LED's are as good as MH and HPS lights.

Until thousands of people around the world experience the same results as you claim, I am a little skeptical.

At some point, somebody will come out with something better than 1,000 MH and 1,000 HPS, but considering how long they have been the accepted standard, it is worth being a little cautious.

I am going to wait until every grow shop sells a bunch of them. And then wait for the word from a bunch of different growers, in different towns, that don't know each other, all say. "Man, these Litro Grow 5000 lights are the bomb. Dude, they are way better than MH and HPS. Then I will go buy one.

I hope they are better, all the Patients would like that.

Specs

• Bulb Type: T-8
  • Life: 30-35,000 Hours
  • Lumens: 2960
  • 32 Watt
  • 110VAC
  • 5000° K Full Spectrum Emittance
  • Standard and Custom Sizes and Types
  • Non-Radioactive

I'm seeing only 2,960 lumens. Now, look at the lumens listed for a Eye Hortilux MH 1,000 w. Done talking. Each light lumen listing side by side. I might use them for side lighting. It's like 1/30 as many lumens.

Initial lumens at rated watts

after 100 hours operation

115000 (V)

110000 (H)

lm

Mean lumens at 10 hours/start

90000 (V)

86300 (H)

lm

Rated average life

12000 (V)

9000 (H)

h

They use 1/30 the wattage, and you get 1/30 the lumens.

Not only are they weak, they are no more efficient.

1/30 = 1/30

In my mind, they would be great for a little closet grow, for a beginner, where the utility bill and heat are factors.

Maybe for side or under lighting, with real lights up on top.

I don't have the raptor but the king cobra and it is as big as the raptor if not a tad bigger. I got a inline fan at homeboy depot. Lowes had the same fan for 17.00 so they gave me lowes price. Left one side of the hood open so I can pull air across the light and through the hood and also cool the room. I have a cold air vent in the door close to the floor next to the central air vent. Your tubbing has to be pretty straight and you can't down size it and the air moves just fine.

Specs

• Bulb Type: T-8
  • Life: 30-35,000 Hours
  • Lumens: 2960
  • 32 Watt
  • 110VAC
  • 5000° K Full Spectrum Emittance
  • Standard and Custom Sizes and Types
  • Non-Radioactive

I'm seeing only 2,960 lumens. Now, look at the lumens listed for a Eye Hortilux MH 1,000 w. Done talking. Each light lumen listing side by side. I might use them for side lighting. It's like 1/30 as many lumens.

Initial lumens at rated watts

after 100 hours operation

115000 (V)

110000 (H)

lm

Mean lumens at 10 hours/start

90000 (V)

86300 (H)

lm

Rated average life

12000 (V)

9000 (H)

h

I use 7 of these "High Output" T-8 tubes in a 2 x 4 foot fixture; 4 are cool white, and 3 are soft white.

In my veg room. :lol:

Bare minimum with that massive hood running a 1k lamp you will need this type of fan .

http://cgi.ebay.com/HYDROFARM-ACDF6-Active-Air-6-Inch-In-Line-Fan-400-CFM-/230592410322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b060f2d2

Good choice King.

I have had really good success with this other brand too, just in case anyone else is interested in a good, cheap, in-line ventilation van. It has a five year warranty which is nice:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAP-Valuline-6-Inline-Exhaust-Fan-Vortex-Style-HPS-/230577528662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af7ddf56

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Just to pass on another fan brand for consideration:

I've used 3 of these fans since Dec of 09. One of them runs 24/7 except for like 5 hours of power outages over the last couple years. Cheaper then the "real" fans listed above and have had good sucess with them. You can to buy a 25$ varible speed controller for it, but it isn't a must. But it does help adjust the temps a little (I'll run wide open in summer and tone it back durring cold months to keep more heat in the room)

http://www.plantligh...fan-p-2754.html

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/active-air-400-cfm-inline-duct-fan-p-2754.html

Active Air 6" 400 CFM In-line Duct Fan

[500509.2]

$79.90 pixel_trans.gif

Active Air 6" 400 CFM In line Duct Fan

All Active Air Fans feature:

• Quiet Operation
  • Durable Ceramic-Coated
  • Metal Housing
  • UL Recognized Components
  • High Quality Molded Impeller
  • Thermally Protected AC Motor
  • Includes Mounting Brackets
  • Includes 8 Foot Pre-wired 120v Cord
  • 5-year factory warranty

Raising the hood is no solution... your plants will eventually grow to meet the hood. There is no way around something like this with a 1000 watter.

I'd also recommend trying to remove the AC unit from the equation. I've got one running now too and it costs too much. As soon as I can afford my fan, ducting and carbon filter there won't be a need for the AC. What's the point of cooling air that isn't interacting with the plants at all?

Anybody else tired of the LitroGrow advertisements? :thumbsd:

I run (2) 1000W in a 9X7 room. Inline venting with a 6" worked great when I had ONE 1K but now that I have (2) 1K lights in my flower room I found that the best way is to inline vent from out of the room, through the lights, back out of the room. I only mention that since it seemed you may just be circling the air around in the room and through the lights. I personally use a 675 CFM 8" Maxfan to push nonstop cool ambient air from outside the grow to cool the 2 Blockbuster 8" inline hoods and then control the room environment once that logistics issue is complete.

you guys rock

i need to bite down and invest in the right equip so i can get that light on top of the canopy.....right now its like 72 outside and 82.5 in my room the hood is 23 in above the canopy....i didnt mention the AC is on full blast

how far is your hood from the canopy cat?

thx peace

My hood is 12" from my canopy, and have had plants as close as 4". You can put your tongue on the glass of my 1K's and not feel a thing. I dont raise or lower my lights in my flower room either. My plants are all grown in soil and I stack them on individual upside down 5 gal buckets or 3 gal pots to raise each individual plant to where it needs to be with respect to the canopy. I run 12 different strains out of 18 plants so its pretty much the only option, but I love not having to worry about raising and lowering my lights and all the accompanying ducting.

sry purps that doesnt sound very cheap 2 me but thx....

i just bought an 8 in inline duct fan at the depot for 46 bucks and hard wired it to an electrical cord and it is up and running and pushing air problem is its hot air right now and the temp is now at 86

2morrow i will run some duct work from the cold air intake to the hood

ill let every body know how it works

hoping for a cool summer

Archived