Question About Hash Making

BennyMac

I'm making hash with a 3 bag system I believe it's 25, 73, 220. I use the ice and water method with an automatic egg beater for 20 mins to stir. I got a decent yield from the plant matter that I used. However it keeps coming out green and I know this isn't right and I want it brown or goldish correct? Most of the plant matter that I put in the bags are fan leaves if that makes a difference. From research that I did and help from people in the chat I know it's coming out green because more of the plant matter is getting through than is supossed to. How do I prevent this? Thanks everybody.

P.S. Also what is the best method to dry hash?

-Benny

Guest knucklehead bob

Try dry ice . :thumbsu:

Planters Of Peace user_popup.png

• av-22297.jpg

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

If you are not familiar with the method, check this out...

We use this method because...

The end product has minimal amounts of water weight as oposed to ice extraction methods (your concentrate is concentrate! and not bath water)

Durring processing the material is "freeze-dried", which optimally preserves the essential oils (as well as flavor and aroma). This also neutralizes any spores that may be present.

It is much easier to use in other products (edibles/tinctures/topicals/etc).

I have several grams availible...pm me.

don't use fan leaves... only the close trim of the bud. also only agitate with a wood spoon or other gentile agitation method. the drill and mixer people will always have those results. slow and steady wins the race.

don't use fan leaves... only the close trim of the bud. also only agitate with a wood spoon or other gentile agitation method. the drill and mixer people will always have those results. slow and steady wins the race.

Bingo! You only get out what you put in - put in material with glands and you'll get hash with glands (and their color). Put in worthless leaf and stems, and you get hash made out of mineral hair and broken leaf. This is why a hash culture has never developed in the states, it's made so poorly! If you want good hash, use good bud.

Further question: I have 12 ounces AAAA meds easily sold at $300-350 per onion, and insead of transferring the dried usable buds I process it per the video into dry ice hash; what is the yield both in hash and cash? (I have no idea of the hash market).

Now, say I have five pounds just harvested green bud on day one, which, when in ten days when it becomes dry and usable meds tips me way over 12 ounces dry and usable. Can I make it into dry ice hash? That will reduce the volume/weight I'm holding, right? Will the hash have product value with transfer similar to the $300 per onion dry and usable?

Anyone got a clue,as production per plant is risiing and I need to handle product in a more concentrated form than floweers, and has certrainly sounds simpler than making oil. And does oil carry rthe same value

Ok update everybody. I used the dry ice method with a 220 micron work bag and it kicked AZZ!!! I got a lot better yield this time around. I used a $15 pollen press that makes little gram disks of hash. Unfortunately the hash came out dark green like the last batch from the water and ice method. I'm still very happy though cause I know how to do it now. Thanks for everybody's help.

With Hash bags, they usually want a 220 Micron bag for the work bag, and another 180 Micron bag for contaminates. That should take some of the green away. Using fan leaves will also make it green. Altho you can get a low grade of hash, its not all that good. I would only use trim leaf and popcorn buds, stir for 10 min the first time, then strain your hash out. Then do another run and stir for 20 min. The second "wash" will yield some more but wont be as good. Hope this helps.

Ok update everybody. I used the dry ice method with a 220 micron work bag and it kicked AZZ!!! I got a lot better yield this time around. I used a $15 pollen press that makes little gram disks of hash. Unfortunately the hash came out dark green like the last batch from the water and ice method. I'm still very happy though cause I know how to do it now. Thanks for everybody's help.

When your hash is green, it's not hash - it's kief.

Yes the dry-ice method is fast and easy, but the mechanical battering with the solid un-lubrigated dry ice powderizes the material and you end up with kief, not hash. Yes, you can take certain precautions and produce a decent product quickly with this method, but it is wasteful and should only be used for poops and giggles.

Further question: I have 12 ounces AAAA meds easily sold at $300-350 per onion, and insead of transferring the dried usable buds I process it per the video into dry ice hash; what is the yield both in hash and cash? (I have no idea of the hash market).

Now, say I have five pounds just harvested green bud on day one, which, when in ten days when it becomes dry and usable meds tips me way over 12 ounces dry and usable. Can I make it into dry ice hash? That will reduce the volume/weight I'm holding, right? Will the hash have product value with transfer similar to the $300 per onion dry and usable?

Anyone got a clue,as production per plant is risiing and I need to handle product in a more concentrated form than floweers, and has certrainly sounds simpler than making oil. And does oil carry rthe same value

If you are preparing a quality hash, you might get a 10% yield +/-. At common rates of recompense that means you will take a 30-50% loss on the process. You have to remember that the historical basis for the hash trade was reducing bulk for easier transport, and more importantly increased potency and shelf-life. I believe that soon all outdoor (especially Cali!) will be processed this way for the same reasons.

If people get exposed to quality hashes, i believe that the market will respond, just like fine wines and brandies. There are so many flavors attainable with different extractions, concentrations, and even tempered aging that a connoisseur class is sure to develop. I can still taste in my mind the blond and red Lebanese screened hashes, the flat Afghani surfboards, and most of all Nepalize Temple Ball. We can do it!

When your hash is green, it's not hash - it's kief.

Yes the dry-ice method is fast and easy, but the mechanical battering with the solid un-lubrigated dry ice powderizes the material and you end up with kief, not hash. Yes, you can take certain precautions and produce a decent product quickly with this method, but it is wasteful and should only be used for poops and giggles.

whats the legalities of Hash? I was watching cops the other day and they were in a legal state. A guy got pulled over and had some bud and some hash. He said he was legal with card but the cop said it was a felony to have hash though. Just wondered what it was here in Michigan.

In Mi the limit of 2.5 ounces "dried usable" applies to any thc containing product or preparation, whether flowers, liquid or a form of concentrate--canna-butter, flowers, goo, hash, keif, oil, pastes and soda pop--all are limited only by weight (and allowed to be in a patient's possession up to 2.5 ounces). Of course the concentrations of thc in them vary from one to the other and in the case of soda pop? It by weight may be less than 3% thc but still, the 2.5 ounces weight limit for a patient applies to all these equally. It's strange and quixotic law, and explains why a producer of big plants or crops might choose to turn flowers into a more concentrated or denser form (to remain legal). Strangest of all is the Oklahoma law passed this year that hands out life sentences to those convicted of making hash. So, do it in MI.

cop was wrong - hash is allowed in michigan -

"any mixture or preparation thereof" - it just has to be 2.5ounces.

Hash is not allowed in Canada, I understand they are not allowed to further process marijuana - into concentrates.

--

The green in the ice bag hash is from slurrying the mixture too much, Too much plant matter was pulverized and passed through the screen.

1. use only good trim, no junk leaves.

2. chill the trim, make sure the water and ice is freezing - 32 degrees.

3. you might want to slurry by hand mixer and not machine - your mixture machine might be pulverizing the plant material - it is just supposed to agitate the plant matter to knock off trichromes.

4. it could be strain related, some strains don't have as much trich.

5. Do not pulverize the plant material - you are not making Butane Honey Oil or capsules! Just drop the frozen leaf material in the bucket as is (no stems of course)

6. Try a shorter mixing run, mix for only 15 minutes.

The 73 micron should turn out the brownie like hash you have seen. The 25 could give you gooey hash, trichromes that broke up and passed through the 73 micron will end up here. 220 is just your trash bag, you could get high off it, but it has lots of plant matter in it.

--

Overages

You would be better off reducing the prices on your oz and moving them that way. I have tried to work out the cost/yeild ratio - and prices.

I found that Hash is sold at dispensaries for $25 a gram, at farmer's markets - $20 a gram. Wholesale $10 to $15 a gram. It is possible to get a 20 gram block of hash for just $250. - So the answer to your question - NO, it will not be cost effective to reduce ounces of meds down to grams of hashish. Hash is considered a luxury item, or it is made from trim that would otherwise be trashed.

Use the hash to incite people to buy your ounces.

-DN

Use the hash to incite people to buy your ounces.

-DN

I love the way this man thinks! His thoughts on P2P transfers, absolutely changed my opinion on the legality and need for them. After all how's a good CG supposed to get his flowers out there with out "brokers"?

Hash is absolutely a luxury item. I sure like knowing that there some out there if I ever find a few $$$'s to rub together.

The dispense I go to in ann arbor does not have hash cause they say it is against the law. So on the cannabis fluids would it be fluid oz? sorry to kinda throw this topic off

correct - the lab will weight fluids as FLUID OUNCES, so therefore, a 2.5 fluid ounce bottle is all you 'should' have in possession, even cooking oil - 'any preparation or mixture thereof'. If you sell at a farmer's market - the bottles should be no more than 2.5 fluid ounces - so you do not put any patients overweight on a transfer.

I think many of us rely on a 'presumed and hopeful defense' - a person should be able to stock any quanity of medicine needed to aid that person, for example in california - a man was returned several ounces he was overwieght - because he proved to the jury that he needed all that weight because he ONLY sifts for kief. So for a tray of brownies (which can be 1 pound) you would attempt to convince a jury that the tray of brownies was reasonable amount for say - 30 days of medicine.

-DN

Lol dang Tree u go to marijuana college or something?

Nah, just stayed in a lot of Holiday Inns, and lived around NYC in the 70's. The City was the place for connoisseur hash and oils in the states at the time, and there were many times when the hash selections outnumbered the pot choices. The rarest was the Nepalise Temple Balls & fingers, they had a depth of flavor and effect that still rank in my top five, they had an almost qualude-like body effect that was wondrous.

Archived