Bubble Cloner Experts...

Hi to all the cloning experts out there, im just wondering why after i take my cutting after i place it in the neoprene collar the clones will wilt until they lay right down, then come back the next day and there either all standing or all but a few are standing.

i've tried dipping into gel right away after the cut, i've not dipped at all, it doesnt matter. i've been putting about 1/2tsp of rootech gel, 5-6 drops of super thrive and 2gals or r/o water. otherwise i have no problems i clipped 9 last time and 8 rooted, good enough for me! and in only 8 days at that!

They are always going to wilt for for while when you put them in the cloner.

They normally bounce back and perk up after about 24 hours. It's just the way it works. You did just chop it off of the main stalk. :D

Through many runs, I've learned to take only stronger lower branches. I don't mess around with the little ones any longer. They just go in the garbage. The failure rate was too high on the ones with the thin stalks.

Also, are you using anything to keep moisture in? A lid of some sort? You want to keep it nice and humid in there. You also want to spray the leaves with ph'd water. That's the only way they can drink until they make roots.

My ez cloner works awesome gives me lots of roots problem is i cant get them to accept the grow medium which in my case is soil in red solo beer cups . :huh:

I'm currently using clear solo beer cups as mini domes and placing the clones on a heating mat under a blue twisty cfl so far my results are not very good any tips fellas?

I was using fox farm ocean forest which seemed to shock the clones and slowed the rooting to soil part of my process so i switched over to fox farms seed starter medium called light warrior too soon to report my results on that yet ..

My ez cloner works awesome gives me lots of roots problem is i cant get them to accept the grow medium which in my case is soil in red solo beer cups . :huh:

I'm currently using clear solo beer cups as mini domes and placing the clones on a heating mat under a blue twisty cfl so far my results are not very good any tips fellas?

I was using fox farm ocean forest which seemed to shock the clones and slowed the rooting to soil part of my process so i switched over to fox farms seed starter medium called light warrior too soon to report my results on that yet ..

I had a problem recently with exactly this - transplanting from bubbles to soil. Someone said that the water roots have a hard time adapting to soil and that it's better to transplant when the roots are an inch or less.

I had a problem recently with exactly this - transplanting from bubbles to soil. Someone said that the water roots have a hard time adapting to soil and that it's better to transplant when the roots are an inch or less.

Kool i have some of docs bubba in the cloner ill experiment with those. :thumbsu:

Royal Smoke: my cloner consists of 1 12qt tote with bottom spray painted flat black, with 15 holes in the lid for the collars/cuttings, with a 48in snake lookin flexible air stone, and an air pump. plane and simple no dome needed

i will try spraying the leaves on this next batch.

Scrog: i will also try this sounds logical!

i dont remember if i watered the day before, would it help to give the just a lil more than normal before taking cuttings.

would it be alright to transplant into a cup of peatmoss for say first 1wk or so then into my roots organic? reason i ask is i just transplanted some from bubbles to Roots organic and they show some burn. sorry for so many questions, im just eager to learn!

[quote name='Royal Smoke' timestamp='1305761195' post='297447'

Also, are you using anything to keep moisture in? A lid of some sort? You want to keep it nice and humid in there. You also want to spray the leaves with ph'd water. That's the only way they can drink until they make roots.

In most cloning regimes a humidity dome is necessary and desirable so as to not shock delicate cuttings. My recommendation is to always clone immediately before your dark period, to minimize stress and to get the plant used to it's new independence. If morning brings some wilt, spray the in side of the humidity dome to max the rh, it is much safer than misting the plant. (cuttings are susceptible to molds and fungus) Although the dome is great to start, you need to wean the clones rapidly from it's protection or you will prolong the process.

The most critical part of rooting is maintaining the correct temperature differential between the soil and air. Roots should be warmer than the leaves to maximize their metabolism, while the leaves should be cooler to minimize transpiration and limit nitrogen depletion.

Those cup size humidity domes will stifle the cuttings, if they are the only thing that will work/fit, try cutting a narrow V in either side of the cup to let in a little air. When you get those water roots, soften the transplant into the red cups by using a very airy soil mix conducive to the high moisture levels needed by water roots ( high perlite, coir, 10% castings). After a day or two top feed some more castings to bind the medium a little better before your final transplant.

Those cup size humidity domes will stifle the cuttings, if they are the only thing that will work/fit, try cutting a narrow V in either side of the cup to let in a little air. When you get those water roots, soften the transplant into the red cups by using a very airy soil mix conducive to the high moisture levels needed by water roots ( high perlite, coir, 10% castings). After a day or two top feed some more castings to bind the medium a little better before your final transplant.

What i do is take a philips screwdriver and riddle the dome with holes i figured that one out by looking at a normal cloning dome up top is a air vent so it just makes sense to ventilate my mini domes. :thumbsu:

i just took 11 cuts from some OG and grand daddy purps. cut 45 then placed in water cup for 3 hrs. then dipped in ruting gel and placed in my home made aeroponics cloner. 2 wilted within an hr but by the end of the night they were all up n strong. now 24hrs later and looking awsome. my clones are doing better than my seedlings !! DOH!!

Archived