Indoor Greenhouse

InterceptorP71

Alright here is my dilemma and I have tried searching for the answers with no luck. In about 18 days I can begin to grow medicine for my wife and most likely a couple other patients. Where to grow is my problem. I have children so I do not want to grow in the house. I considered in a shed since I have a fairly large one, but I feel that will not be secure enough. My next idea is growing in my 2 1/2 car garage. It is a detached, however it is made out of cinder block and has only one window, which I can brick closed. The only other ways in is the big garage door and the side door. I'm already planning to install a good heavy steel door for the entry and securing the big door. My thought is to either build a room inside the garage or purchase a shed or greenhouse and place it inside the garage to grow. I figure that a smaller structure inside a structure will be easier to control temperature because then I am only dealing with the smaller area in need of heat/cooling. What are your thoughts? I am not foreseeing more than 3 patients in the near future so if this idea is plausible, what size should I be considering? Any and all input is appreciated greatly because I am 100% new to this.

Are you wanting to keep it so the kids won't see and ask what it is? If that is the case you should build a room in the corner and make it look like a cabinet or something. Insulate it and all. Of course you will have to deal with this heat which would probably require an AC unit and a heat source in the winter. A grow tent is a good idea if you don't mind questions of (what is that Daddy). How much money can you spend?

I would personally just recommend not growing if people in your own house can't be trusted. Do you have a friend with a spare room or basement who will let you grow there?

It's too late now, but next year you could build a greenhouse and possibly grow enough for the entire year. Maybe not first time at bat, but eventually. The problems with growing in an outbuilding are many, especially since you plan on growing for multiple people. Security primarily. It's much easier for someone to break into your garage than your basement. Heating in winter will be expensive as will cooling in summer if your out building has no furnace or AC.

Also I think you might be underestimating the amount of room you will need to grow for five people. That's 60 plants if you go to the limit of the law. You should have around 3 sq ft per plant if you grow them in pots. Sea of Green uses only 1 ft of space but the plants only produce 1/8 to 1/4 oz. each. I would suggest that before you grow for others, learn how to grow for yourself. You will probably find, as I did, that it's much harder than you think to produce the amount of medicine you need.

Another suggestion is to do what tooldini suggested and build a small grow room out of an existing room by putting up some walls. If you have a closet, you have a grow room. Lock it and use that.

Your grow won't be as obvious to visitors in the detached building, but if you think you're going to fool the kids and neighbors, not happening.

As to your other questions, my recommendation would be to not go overboard with prepping the building (other than security, of course). You're going to be running through a very steep learning curve and important decisions would be better left to a time when you understand the entire equation from experience. In he beginning focus on providing a clean and stable environment, and with some reading and prudence, you will learn.

Well it isn't a thing of not trusting my children around it. In fact my teen is well aware of what will be going on. I know this can not be hidden from immediate family living in the house. As the other 2 get older they will learn through being educated that this is medicine for their mothers ailments.

I have also been considering building a room in there for it. The basement is where I would prefer, however my wife wants it in the garage. Yes I have pointed out that heating and cooling will be expensive to her. I never said I was growing for 5 people, only 3. My wife and 2 others. I have no need for the medicine for myself, I'm merely the caregiver.

I have considered a tent or tents as needed, which is really where the green house inside popped into my head since it is essentially the same thing but on a bigger scale. It was just a thought thrown out there. I appreciate the input highly.

Really the entire garage can be used since I don't use it for cars. Securing it would only take a few hundred and there is already an alarm system on it. Remember I'm working with a cinder block garage and not a wood one with only 2 access points once the window is bricked in and if I have to I'll build a wall inside the garage behind the roll up door, which is no different than building a separate room inside there. Insulation isn't a big deal and easily done for a few hundred more. I have a couple of buddies who are in HVAC so I could even get a furnace installed for winter and A/C for the summer.

Nix, thank you for the information on 3 feet per plant, I had not ran across that number yet and it will come in very handy with planning however I go with the room.

I am working on my wife to just build in the basement because I agree it would be easier from the heating and cooling standpoint. Security wise the house is less secure than the garage since the house has more points of entry with all of the windows and doors.

Dont brick the one window in, you'll want ways to vent air outside and an opening will allow you to duct a run of cold outside air into your grow in the winter. If you brick it in, just leave an opening where you could have duct runs to pull air in or force air out if you have to.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! Would love to see pics of the construction and final project when it happens.

Definitely go to YouTube and watch some growing tutorials. I really like Mr. Green's 'I Grow Chronic' and anything by Jorge Cervantes. You don't want to follow their info to the letter as everyone's situation is different but you will get a really good understanding of the process. Mr. Green shows you how to build a veg and flowering room in a basement.

Part 1 of 9 here:

The old law of real estate value is location, location, location. The first law of grow security is location, loc...are you on a farm in center of 7 acres? Bounded all sides by woods? Surrounded by asphalt Detroit, next house 2 feet all 4 ways? Across from church, school, preschool, shopping center with TRAFFIC? Dark side of moon? You want data give a little help here.

Dont brick the one window in, you'll want ways to vent air outside and an opening will allow you to duct a run of cold outside air into your grow in the winter. If you brick it in, just leave an opening where you could have duct runs to pull air in or force air out if you have to.

Actually I should of stated that there is a chimney for a wood burner in the garage. I don't have a wood burner so I was going to use that to vent. Good looking out though!

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! Would love to see pics of the construction and final project when it happens.

Definitely go to YouTube and watch some growing tutorials. I really like Mr. Green's 'I Grow Chronic' and anything by Jorge Cervantes. You don't want to follow their info to the letter as everyone's situation is different but you will get a really good understanding of the process. Mr. Green shows you how to build a veg and flowering room in a basement.

As a matter of fact I watched all 9 of Mr. Greens videos last night. Lots of great information on that!

The old law of real estate value is location, location, location. The first law of grow security is location, loc...are you on a farm in center of 7 acres? Bounded all sides by woods? Surrounded by asphalt Detroit, next house 2 feet all 4 ways? Across from church, school, preschool, shopping center with TRAFFIC? Dark side of moon? You want data give a little help here.

I live in a residential neighborhood in Macomb county. Last house on the street, with neighbors along the garage side on the cross street.

On a side note, I believe I have been making progress with my wife about growing inside the house. I have been showing her not only this thread, but others on this site and it all seems to be helping. Her largest concern was smell. I showed her charcoal filters, closet grow areas and more and it seems to be helping a lot! I might even have her sold on a SuperCloset pr something along those lines to keep in a spare room. Now if that isn't progress in just a few days I don't know what is with this woman...LOL!

I big part of the smell factor is the strain you decide to grow. Most seed companies will mention how bad the smell is during flowering. A good charcoal filter does wonders as well. As an additional measure some people plant fragrant flowers and spices around their house, especially near the exhaust vent. I grow roses near mine, they're smelly and thorny.

S.A.G.E. might be a good strain for you as it doesn't smell much. Stay away from Heavy Duty Fruity, Cheese, Skunk, and the like. Cindy99 and Northern Lights are also good low smelling strains.

Archived