Light Question

Purplehaze

Hello everyone, I have a question, how long do you leave your lights on for

seedlings/clones??

I have a separate 4x4 small room that I use for seedlings clones, and 2 mother plants. I have a 8 bulb T-5 fixture and I have it on 18 hours.

The more I read, seems 24 would be better for the seedlings and clones, would the mothers be to unhappy?

I have run my veg at 24hrs before but now I stick with 18hrs of light... that's my preference! Mother plants would be fine under 24hrs of light tho... its just nice to have a ahort period where your equipment can cool down and everything can get a lil rest but either way you would be fine!

Guest Happy Guy

I have run my veg at 24hrs before but now I stick with 18hrs of light... that's my preference! Mother plants would be fine under 24hrs of light tho... its just nice to have a ahort period where your equipment can cool down and everything can get a lil rest but either way you would be fine!

Good point on giving the equipment a rest... including your electric meter! LOL Why pay 25% more for what might stress your plants AND your equipment?

First off, most wear and tear on electronics and bulbs is associated with thermal cycling associated with turning the devices on and off, so whilst you will save watts, you aren't doing the equipment any great favor.

Insofar as the plants preference, it is a little more complicated than the fact that a dark period is a healthy part of the normal life-cycle of most plants. Relative light intensity is a critical consideration, as low light levels can trigger flowering even with 24/7 lights on. Also, mature plants exhibit an exuberance to flower that only a "light's on" policy can deter. The more you consider, the better you get...

Archived