Found Male Pollen Pod In Flower Room

Fortunately as the thread title indicates I found this pollen pod on my Chocolope female before it opened. There were serious pH and nute problems that did a lot of damage to the Chocolope and stressed her out. I spent an hour or so inspecting and only found that one. I was thinking about pinching them off as they appear (if they continue to - I think I have the stress factors eliminated, the plant is booming with healthy new growth) and perhaps spraying with "Dutchmaster Reverse," (wtf is in that anyway?) which is reported by many to keep plants from going hermie. I'm about 3.5 weeks into flower here, and would really like to not chop down this Chocolope, but if it's going to ruin my crop I'll do what I have to. Am I crazy to keep it around?

If the hermie was induced only by the stress, and you've remedied that and removed all the pollen sacs, and you keep a close eye on it, then you might be ok. But there's a possibility that, when stressed, the plant went into survival mode and will do all it can to try and produce a seed, thereby perpetuating the plant. It's also possible that your plant has demonstrated it's phenotype, and that particular plant may want to herm every time you grow it. Just curious... was it from seed or clone? If you miss a pollen sack you will have seeds in every plant that has pistols, and you'll have to do a major wash and rinse of your flower room. Products like Reverse encourage the development of female buds and discourage the development of males. They don't gaurantee that males won't form. They provide nutrients that female buds want and males don't. It's a big decision, after growing a plant for three months, to chop it down. Most of us were really happy with seeded stuff for a lot of years, but the market want sensi now. If it was just the one plant, and you could isolate it, it might be worth keeping. But most of us can't have a spare flower room just for the herms. It isn't worth the risk of seeding your entire grow. I hope you get it under control, and it continues booming and blooming.

It was from clone. I'm pretty sure the genetics are okay, I just screwed up the feedings bigtime (didn't pH up, and was majorly underfeeding to the point of near starvation). Don't have another room for it unfortunately, it's just a small grow for myself.

one of my favorites, bubba kush, has a tendency to drop dingle berries from bottom branches late in flower. i've started inspecting under my plants on a regular basis to pinch the little gentlemen off. i recite a little curse as i do this but it is not suitable for print. it seems like letting the cycle run longer, which i like to do, pushes male flowers, as well.

I wasn't dis'n the reverse stuff, just trying to explain what it does. I used up a bottle of Humbolt's version. I'm pretty sure it was the genetics in my case, and I eliminated that strain from my line up. If you're confident in the strain, and reluctant to chop the plant, get a bottle of Reverse or something similar and maybe it will help you get through this run. It's full of things that promote female bud development.

• 2 weeks later...

no way to really tell until near harvest. if it's a seedfest you'll see them. buds will stay small as the blooming switches to seed production. you'll see clusters of seeds where the big buds should be.

side note. there isn't anything wrong with the seeded smoke. just more work to clean and an embarrassing seed in a joint once in a while

I am prob alley one of the worst growers in Michigan but this plant can take allot of abuse and still thrive . I try hard but my disability of severe chronic pain doesn't allow me to accomplish much in a grow room and it is a struggle to just survive . .

The point being I have pods that open because I start from seed out of necessty often due to health interputions . I have never even wiped the room down after several occasions where pods opened up . I do not use a fan and find no problems with proper stem growth . I rarely find one or two seeds in a bud . I consider them a prize as fresh seeds germinate the best . With all the controversy about whether the person giving genetics away is protected under the act as most patients at least want to believe because it is necessary to separate one from those involved in illegal activity - I like to keep seeds on hand because I have a fear of asking someone for help and it backfiring on them in some way with the penalty being forfeiture or felonies enforced by unethical persons . I take a male and let it grow in a separate closed locked facility to be cautious against the unreasonable persons in Law Enforcement and when the first pods open cut it up and freeze it . Then at will you can take a branch with a few pods open or slit so the pollen can be brushed on one bud from the lower branch keeping pollen pretty much contained and obtain some seeds occasionally keeping fresh supply . Just knock any leaves off the pollen sac branches kept and you should be covered under the seeds and stems not counting as weight to stay within limits .

I am still in disbelief our AG would think a operating program wouldn't require a legal means to acquire and distribute genetics and emergency suppy between all participants . He isn't working for Michigan Citizens . Given the current political environment , need for keeping costs down , accountability , and the fact patients have no hope for corporate employment the Farmers Market Model of Distribution makes the most sense . The locker method with a storefront is attractive too but sadly in the current political environment records needed to clarify supply is coming only from qualified patients would be incriminating under Federal Law . None of that is necessary under the Famers market model but there still is trust factor with State authorities and many in Law Enfrocement who have terrified citizens with their means justify the ends tactics and severe penalties in the drug war . For medical cannabis to move forward in Michigan and our Counry discrimination and mistrust has to be dealt with and that only occurs when parties whom oppose eachother are no longer able to dehumanize the other side and that requires interaction that is often painful at first . One obtains respect when they give it . All public officials have had the admiration of the majority of their constituents . Open support by law enforcement for the Farmers market concept even if required by new legislation that included more protections for patient rights like approved in Maine would be a great additional step to Prop 1 the voters passed .

Archived