Hydro Membrane (Hydroponics Of The Future)

I came across this article about a new form of hydroponics called "Hydro Membrane". The plants are basicly grown on a thin film of the same type of gel that is currently found in diapers. Below is some information:

HYMEC (stands for HYdro MEmbrane Cultivation) is a novel and innovative plant culture technology using a Polymer based "Hydro membrane" which separates the plant and the culture medium (or water with nutrients) which saves 80 to 90% water and also yields produce of higher Brix value. Of course, it saves cost as well.

As explained in the illustration given below, this membrane's unique advantage lies in its capability to allow water in the form of vapour (and not liquid) and so the supporting soil (or vermicomposed matrix) is not flooded, allowing enough aeration for the roots. Moreover, ONLY the water required for the plants is used and the rest saved, unlike in the conventional hydroponics where most of the water goes to irrigate the soil in excess of the plant's demand. It offers a great advantage of filtering all the root zone pathogens.

Sources to read more:

Article

Source

Yeah, I have my reservations. I just looked at the video and they stated themselves that the plants are jhigh quality but very small. I knew there would be an issue, going to take years of research and study before this is a viable option if you are concerned about high yield...

Well before poo poo this I take the source into consideration from my studying hydroponics I have noticed the Japanese seem to be the innovators in this field they seem to always be looking for the next step so they can produce more in smaller spaces seeing they have a need to conserve space. Very cool and interesting. So it uses the same materials as baby diapers maybe I will have to steal a diaper from from the diaper bag lol!

The stuff is called "Sodium Polyacrylate", you can buy it in quantity online. In high school we used to steal this stuff from the chemistry lab and put it in the toilets.. really pissed off the janitors, until the chemistry teacher told them to just pour a little salt in there, and it goes right back to liquid.

Archived