Responses To Our Letters

When our reps respond to us, we should write back, and try to educate them and/ call them out on their replies, if we feel those answers are against us. I wrote to mr horn, now I've written to Matt Huuki. I want to try to get him to see it through our eyes. It may not work, but I have to try. Here's his letter to me, and my response to him. I used example 1 in the e-mail-o-matic. corrected the typos I saw before sending. It's important to me to get a dialog going about this, so I wrote him back, just as I did with mr. horn. The letters from mr. horn, and my response, are in the thread about him taking over from mr. walsh. I could put them here. too.

August 22, 2011

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your opposition to House Bill 4661 and Senate Bill 377. HB 4661 would make growing medical marijuana within 500 feet of a church or school a felony and SB 377 would provide registry information of patients to State Police upon issuance of the medical marijuana card. I appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

As you may be aware, House Bill 4661 was introduced by Representative Darany on May 18, 2011. This bill is currently being held in the House Committee on Judiciary. Senate Bill 377 was introduced by Senator Darwin Booher on May 12, 2011 and referred to the Senate Committee on Judiciary. On June 22, 2011, the bill was reported out of committee and referred to the Senate floor. Please be assured that should either of these bills reach the full House for a vote, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Should you have further questions or concerns regarding this or any state matter, please do not hesitate to contact my office. In the meantime, I thank you again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

Representative Matt Huuki

Aug. 24, 2011

Dear Mr. Huuki,

Thank you for answering my letter.

I wish I could meet with you before you decide to vote for these bills. There is a side to these issues you are not being allowed to see; the view from the very community you would be hurting if you vote in favor of these bills. You are only seeing the situation from a legislator's viewpoint, which is understandable, of course, being you're not directly affected. If you were a patient or caregiver, you'd better understand. I'm sure you know someone who is severely disabled or terminally ill. The decision you make will affect someone who may be dying, and will affect the person trying to provide for them. Before making a decision on any issue, all sides must be

carefully weighed and considered.

Have you spoken to any patients or caregivers? The ones I've spoken to have complied with the law, yet they've been mistreated by police. they're afraid the database will be abused. I've seen too many stories of abuse not to be worried also. The 500 foot rule is unrealistic also. Each proposed bill attacks a provision in the law that was passed on by 63% by voters. These people come from all walks of life. They are being treated like criminals.

Marijuana has never killed anyone, yet is being treated like a dangerous narcotic, because it was classified as such. Do you have any idea how that happened? It's a fascinating story. I wish you could see our side of the story. I wish you would hear it from those who lived through the horrors of abuse- sick, dying people who's only wish is to live without pain, who were given the right to use this medicine because it works better than any they have tried. This is a very personal decision that wasn't made lightly. Not only do they have their illness to contend with, but also the fear of losing their freedom. Many of these bills are also in direct violation of the Constitution.

The law was very clearly written, which anyone can see if they take the time to read it carefully. This is a health issue that's being treated as a criminal issue. I wish you could understand. The law doesn't need changing or amending, any perceived problem can be resolved if done by considering all sides, and the consequences of that decision, in a reasonable manner that would satisfy everyone. There are already laws in place, for example, that deal with a bad doctor.

Had the law been properly implemented, these problems would not exist. You can't say a law is broken, when it's never been given a chance to work.

I have access to hundreds of patient testimonials, including a personal account of a cancer survivor I know.

Please consider very carefully the decisions you are about to make. These people are not the danger they're being made out to be.

Sincerely, _______

Civil disobedience,rational calm arguments etc are all USELESS AGAINST CORRUPT FASCISTS

A big part of me agrees with you, which makes me very sad to even have to admit to myself or anyone else, but I also believe we still have to try. When all else fails, something will happen. I don't wanna think about that. I know they're out of control. It's a sad world we live in. I don't recognize it. This is not my home. Where I come from, Compassion Rules. The People are getting wise to the lies. The corruption has gotten so out of hand, it's scary.

How do these beings get into power? They lie, cheat, steal; they can't play fair, they know they'd never win that way. HOW do we keep this from happening? Politicians say what they think we wanna hear, and often they know the right words to get our to emotions. They speak of hope, rights, justice; then they get in and screw us over, never intending to help us. Many politicians do start out with genuine intentions for us, but they get corrupted, or silenced for messing with the status quo. This is why anyone speaking out for Mj has a hard time advancing politically. The baddies have the unfair advantage. So what can we do? We vote them out, often to find we replaced one idiot with another. I keep warning people to be careful when they want to remove someone from office- BEWARE and BE SURE their replacement is someone we can work with. It's not as easy as it sounds though, considering what skilled liars they can be.

Dealing with unreasonable people is a miserable task. All I can do is try. If they don't wanna listen, then it's on to plan B, get the azzholes outta there and hope their replacement will be reasonable.

So, if they're fascists, we have to wipe out fascism. The only way of doing that, that I can think of right now, is to run for office, avoid being corrupted, and be a good representative, or make darn sure whoever we vote for will remain honest when they say they will do what we ask them to do. The money trail has to be stopped, the campaign contributions, back room deals, sneaky riders on bills, these among other tactics have to stop. Anyone doing these things should be removed immediately. There's no checks and balances no oversight, no real enforcement to stop the corruption. Money and power rule them, self serving self interest dictates their actions. If we are to be held accountable for our actions, so must they. They must follow the same laws they expect us to. Who's got the balls to make them do it? The incentives for them to be corrupt are too powerful. Lead them not into temptation, they can surely find it on their own. How bad do things have to get before enough of The People rise up and say "enough is ENOUGH?"

Sincerely, Sb :(

Hi I got a response from Tom Casperson and I'm calling him out, respectfully of course. I forgot to ask him about the comment about having members of the MM community helping draft those bills. OK, I wanna know WHO WAS HELPING DRAFT THIS LEGISLATION??? I have a real good guess and I'm sure I'm right, because, if I am, well, THANKS A LOT for selling us out!

Here's his letter to me and my response. -Sb

Thank you for your e-mail. The bill package to regulate the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act was introduced not to reverse the decision

made by Michigan voters, but to clarify it. Currently there is confusion concerning what cities and townships can regulate. Work on this legislation has been taking place over the summer break with input from members of the medical marijuana community.

Adoption of any legislation will not occur until this fall and because this is a voter-initiated law, it must be approved by three-

quarters majorities in both houses.

I appreciate hearing from you regarding this issue.

Sincerely,

Tom Casperson

State Senator

District 38

MY RESPONSE:

Dear Senator Casperson,

The patients and caregivers I know have a very clear understanding of the law. It must be read very carefully. I have read it and I understand it. It cannot just be glanced over, but must be read word for word. This fact was tested when I gave it to someone to read. At first, he read it very quickly, and said it was vague, but after reading it slowly, he understood it very clearly.

Would you please tell me which parts of the law are not clear to you? I'd really like to know. I wish we could sit down together and talk. Have you ever spoken with the writers of this bill? This law is very important to me. I voted for it and I will do all I can to protect the patients and caregivers.

What is also very clear to me is, the bills is question will weaken the law and make it harder for those who need it the most. I can live without Cannabis, but many I know cannot.

I'm sure many who voted for this law will be very disappointed if you vote for any of these bills.

Sincerely,

I will not ask them. I will not plead. I demand they cease and desist! Thanks, Bb

BB,

I think that you are 100% correct.

For the past year or so I have had this lurking thought about the "politically correct movement" of the 1990s and its relation to America today. I think your statement is, in essence, this connection. There is not enough weight in politically correct punches. Shackled by fear of being called politically incorrect, we have now been conditioned as "good americans" to be so polite and considerate we have lost our ability to fight for right and wrong.

Take your nice faces off and fight.

After all the squeaky wheel gets the greese and nice guys finish last.

Will see you on the 7th sirs.

:thumbsu: -Sb :D

BB,

I think that you are 100% correct.

For the past year or so I have had this lurking thought about the "politically correct movement" of the 1990s and its relation to America today. I think your statement is, in essence, this connection. There is not enough weight in politically correct punches. Shackled by fear of being called politically incorrect, we have now been conditioned as "good americans" to be so polite and considerate we have lost our ability to fight for right and wrong.

Take your nice faces off and fight.

After all the squeaky wheel gets the greese and nice guys finish last.

Will see you on the 7th sirs.

"Thank you for your e-mail. The bill package to regulate the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act was introduced not to reverse the decision

made by Michigan voters, but to clarify it."

Clarify = nullify.... :thumbsd:

EXACTLY! :( You saw my response to that? I'm calling anyone out who says the law needs clarification. I asked mr. horn, too, still no response. I'll keep asking, bet they read it very quickly, IF at ALL! GRRRRR!

Sb

Hi all, It seems I have successfully established a dialog with Tom Casperson, he's written to me again! Below is his letter back to me and my response, (which I haven't sent yet).

Sincerely, Sb

His Response to my last letter:

Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:43:16 -0400

Many communities are seeing dispensaries established and they were not provided for in the MMA Act. So the proposed legislation is to clarify this aspect, although that might be settled in court. Also, one bill would protect card holders by having a registry such as there is in place for CCW permits. But work has occurred throughout the summer with legislators and members of the medical marijuana community. So I am sure the bill language has undergone some changes and I will wait to see what is presented in committee.

I do appreciate your input.

Sincerely,

Tom Casperson

State Senator

District 38

My Response to him, (not yet sent, I will send it very soon).

Dear Senator Casperson,

Thank you very much for replying. If your only concern is regarding dispensaries, I hope this means you will not vote for the other bills; I'd rather you wouldn't vote for any of them. With all due respect, you are not seeing the other sides of these issues. I wish you could realize how much those bills will hurt patients and caregivers. If you could hear their stories, speak with them, I'm sure you'd better understand and consider their concerns. Many of them will be gathering in Lansing on Sept. 7 at the Capitol, to meet with their representatives, and speak to the public to voice those concerns about these extremely restrictive bills. Most of them have very severe illnesses, why make them suffer any more by burdening them with unnecessary legal constraints which the voters clearly did not intend? Would you want your name in a police database just because of your choice of medicine? I have known of raids where police used the information to go after other patients and caregivers.

This law has never been properly implemented. How can anyone say a law is broken, when it's never been fully given the chance to work? Revenue taken in from the application fees has not been used to hire enough staff and get the cards out within 20 days, as stated by law; no funds have been used to educate law enforcement and other agencies on proper procedure, for example, many officers, prosecutors, and judges do not know what "usable material" is. They also don't realize or recognize that paperwork is as good as the registry card, while waiting for the card to arrive. Many refuse to even acknowledge the card.

I agree dispensaries were not written into the law, however I do see the need for them. What I have learned from the patients I know is, many are unable to find a good caregiver. The dispensaries were using the patient to patient transfer provision of the law to justify their existence. I wish these businesses had been able to exist, with proper guidelines to regulate them, that protect patients. Many patients I spoke to found some that were well-run and their compensation costs were fairly reasonable.

This is their medicine, the decision to use it was not made lightly. After trying many things, most of which had serious side effects, they choose Cannabis. If only you could see the improved quality of life they have. Please try to understand, this is a health issue, not a criminal matter.

Thank you very much for having this discussion with me. I hope some of them have scheduled meetings with you on or before Sept. 7th. If I could, I'd arrange a meeting with you, too, either at a closer location, or over there, as I plan to be there in support.

Sincerely,

Hi all, It seems I have successfully established a dialog with Tom Casperson, he's written to me again! Below is his letter back to me and my response, (which I haven't sent yet).

Sincerely, Sb

Many communities are seeing dispensaries established and they were not provided for in the MMA Act. So the proposed legislation is to clarify this aspect, although that might be settled in court. Also, one bill would protect card holders by having a registry such as there is in place for CCW permits. But work has occurred throughout the summer with legislators and members of the medical marijuana community. So I am sure the bill language has undergone some changes and I will wait to see what is presented in committee.

Sincerely,

Tom Casperson

State Senator

District 38

Dear Senator Casperson,

Thank you very much for replying. If your only concern is regarding dispensaries, I hope this means you will not vote for the other bills; I'd rather you wouldn't vote for any of them. With all due respect, you are not seeing the other sides of these issues. I wish you could realize how much those bills will hurt patients and caregivers. If you could hear their stories, speak with them, I'm sure you'd better understand and consider their concerns. Many of them will be gathering in Lansing on Sept. 7 at the Capitol, to meet with their representatives, and speak to the public to voice those concerns about these extremely restrictive bills. Most of them have very severe illnesses, why make them suffer any more by burdening them with unnecessary legal constraints which the voters clearly did not intend? Would you want your name in a police database just because of your choice of medicine? I have known of raids where police used the information to go after other patients and caregivers.

This law has never been properly implemented. How can anyone say a law is broken, when it's never been fully given the chance to work? Revenue taken in from the application fees has not been used to hire enough staff and get the cards out within 20 days, as stated by law; no funds have been used to educate law enforcement and other agencies on proper procedure, for example, many officers, prosecutors, and judges do not know what "usable material" is. They also don't realize or recognize that paperwork is as good as the registry card, while waiting for the card to arrive. Many refuse to even acknowledge the card.

I agree dispensaries were not written into the law, however I do see the need for them. What I have learned from the patients I know is, many are unable to find a good caregiver. The dispensaries were using the patient to patient transfer provision of the law to justify their existence. I wish these businesses had been able to exist, with proper guidelines to regulate them, that protect patients. Many patients I spoke to found some that were well-run and their compensation costs were fairly reasonable.

This is their medicine, the decision to use it was not made lightly. After trying many things, most of which had serious side effects, they choose Cannabis. If only you could see the improved quality of life they have. Please try to understand, this is a health issue, not a criminal matter.

Thank you very much for having this discussion with me. I hope some of them have scheduled meetings with you on or before Sept. 7th. If I could, I'd arrange a meeting with you, too, either at a closer location, or over there, as I plan to be there in support.

Sincerely,

SilverBlue, this is excellent! Great job!

It would be good to hear from him who his contact is in the medical marijuana community. He needs to be informed that there is not just one voice speaking for all patients and that the most polished voices in the med MJ community may be backed by out of state business interests and may not have the patients' interests first.

I think asking again about what aspects of the law are unclear is also a good idea. Maybe he'll tell you his views in person on 9/7.

Sincerely, Sb

Sincerely,

Tom Casperson

State Senator

District 38

Dear Senator Casperson,

Sincerely,

Great job Silverblue. That is a great letter and you've connected with Senator and if they didn't care, you'd just get the form email response, or nothing at all. Keep it up!

I fully support the use of diplomacy to right wrongs, however I'm not a patient person.

I think many will give them a chance to do what is right and if the desired result isn't met that way, there are other options.

There are a lot of altruistic members of society that will accept nothing less than compliance with the will of the people. Sometimes a guard dog only needs to be visible to be effective. Other times barking is enough, but sometimes guard dogs bite, and they do so with no reservations, to protect others.

SilverBlue, this is excellent! Great job!

It would be good to hear from him who his contact is in the medical marijuana community. He needs to be informed that there is not just one voice speaking for all patients and that the most polished voices in the med MJ community may be backed by out of state business interests and may not have the patients' interests first.

I think asking again about what aspects of the law are unclear is also a good idea. Maybe he'll tell you his views in person on 9/7.

Thanks for the input! See my changes in bold towards the end of the letter. :thumbsu:

Dear Senator Casperson,

I'd like to know who you've spoken to who says they're representing the Medical Marijuana Community. There are many voices speaking for us, some who are very skilled communicators, who do not represent patients and caregivers, but only have profit motives and may be from another state. This I know is true, verified by sources within our community. There are groups who truly do speak on behalf of patients and caregivers, who will be part of the gathering on Sept. 7, one of which is the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. They are very strong advocates, working very hard to protect patients and caregivers' rights, they are also working with other groups to help educate and inform the community at large, as well as providing information for the medical marijuana community. The main focus is Patients First.

This law was meant to protect them, not punish them.

Thank you very much for having this discussion with me. I hope some of the patients have scheduled meetings with you on or before Sept. 7th. If I would have thought of it earlier, I would have arranged a meeting with you, too.

Sincerely,

How's that?

RE-EDITED SEPT. 3.

Sb

Great job Silverblue. That is a great letter and you've connected with Senator and if they didn't care, you'd just get the form email response, or nothing at all. Keep it up!

I fully support the use of diplomacy to right wrongs, however I'm not a patient person.

I think many will give them a chance to do what is right and if the desired result isn't met that way, there are other options.

There are a lot of altruistic members of society that will accept nothing less than compliance with the will of the people. Sometimes a guard dog only needs to be visible to be effective. Other times barking is enough, but sometimes guard dogs bite, and they do so with no reservations, to protect others.

Thank you for your help also, it means a LOT to me. I hope he gets it by the 7th. Monday is a holiday.

Thanks for all you do to help us.

Thank you to everyone who's helping protect our law! :thumbsu::):thumbsu::goodjob:

Sb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I just got a letter from Ken Horn, he didn't say much, it was in response to my question about what part of the law does he have trouble understanding. Here's what he said:

We are still conducting meetings as part of the workgroups with numerous entities, and should be putting some recommendations together for the full Judiciary committee soon. Thank you.

Geesh, what a COLD response, but at least it was a response, though he DID NOT answer my question! :growl: How vague can it get? Oh I'd sure love to know the details! Good luck to Bb trying to work with him!

Sb :(

Civil disobedience,rational calm arguments etc are all USELESS AGAINST CORRUPT FASCISTS

You are completely correct. I wrote letters, made phone calls and voted. They didn't listen. Now we will show them why it was a mistake to ignore us and call our rally a "Hash Bash'. Its complete BS. They said we didnt look like sick people. What a joke. You cant tell if someone has cancer or HIV by looking at them. These people are being paid by the lobbyists. They have proven that they have no interest in representing the voters. Thats why we will vote them out.

Hi all Here's the letter I'm sending to Mr. Horn:

Dear Mr. Horn,

Thank you for replying to my letter. I am well aware of the meetings you've been having with people who say they represent the medical marijuana community. Some of them I know, who truly do represent us. The community I belong to is the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association. Thank you for meeting with them and listening to our concerns. It means a lot to me and those of us who they speak for.

I am disappointed you didn't answer my questions, what part of the law do you not understand? What part seems vague and poorly written? I really want to know. The patients and caregivers, attorneys and supporters I know, have read it very carefully and seem to understand it well. It cannot be read quickly, it must be read very carefully. I tested this with a friend, who read it quickly and said it wasn't clear, till he re-read it more slowly, then he understood it. The law was written very well and did its best to include all who need this medicine are able to acquire it.

There are a few concerns I'd like to address regarding some of the comments I've heard expressed by people outside our community. Some are very disturbing, which I hope were expressed at the meeting on Sept. 15th.

Some people think if someone looks healthy, they are. Not even a medical doctor can make that assessment by just looking at them. There are claims that those at the rally Sept. 7th all looked healthy. No one can know that from far away, let alone up close.

Some people claim they smelled marijuana there. I was there with many others from our website, who never smelled anything. My sense of smell is very keen; I would've noticed and asked them to put it out. We asked our members beforehand, to be on their best behavior. Not everyone there as from our site. A couple of people told me they saw someone intending to light up, and immediately told them not to, reminding them the law prohibits public use even for medical users. There were at least 3500 people there. Most of them were very well behaved and respectful. When people are hurting and angry, it's amazing that they are still able to assemble peacefully. I'm very proud of them. We just want the rights granted us by the voters. The main message of the rally was to implement the law; stop arresting patients and caregivers.

The bills being proposed will not solve anything, but make matters worse. I know our reps from the MMMA site explained in detail the problems those bills will create. I'm glad you and the other person there with you were gracious enough to meet with members of our community. For several months, we have been asking for an open dialogue with people from the greater community. Thank you for honoring that request.

Sincerely,________

Sb

Archived