Lets Talk Security...

Z71_420

Im looking for a 2-4 camera setup, that i can either recieve email alerts from or watch video from my phone, i was looking at the swann alpha 4 ch system, but found this for half price, what do you think??? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-4-Camera-Home-Security-System-DVR-Recorder-SPY-/230674585623?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b546d817 any recommendations or criticism is appreciated!

One more thing to remember - cheap video camera systems can only record from one camera at a time if you set triggers.

A wifi camera can be discovered and hacked by "Warviewing" its a 2.4ghz signal - just like wifi. So make sure it is encrypted or keyed to a specific station. Warviewing can be done either in front of your house or on the internet searching for 'google dorks'.

Cameras with 'night vision' use UV LEDs to illuminate the camera view - like a flashlight, colors can wash out, or if there is glass between the camera and outside, the LEDs just blind the camera.

Get audio recording too, because sometimes a photo image of a suspect is not enough, but if you get their voice recorded -its more evidence on the badguys.

Battery back up for your system - it is not hard as they are 9 to 12VDC systems with low amps. Someone can cut the power to your house in hopes of killing your video surveillance system. A simple computer powerback up system can do this - what ever is plugged in can run up to an hour on backup power at a plug in power strip.

DN

I do security alarms and cameras for a living and i'm liscensed.

This camera system is garbage and your wasting money on this. Wireless cameras suck, unless you spend the big bucks on the good stuff.

Just to let you know camera systems are not cheap if you want a decent system set up.

The cheap camera systems don't last and the play back quality is junk. if the play back quality is junk how is one supposed to see what or who on play back that has been recorded.

This is what you really want/need.

Digital Watch dog VMAX (stand along system)

http://www.dwcc.tv/product_dvrs/dvrs_main.asp?id=82 look online or i can order one for you at my wholesale price.

put it this way. I do this for a living and this is the DVR that I have. Well i have the 8 camera one and this is the 4 cameras. same system.

What makes this Vmax DVR better than the rest is clear playback, easy to use and durable system. I've experimited with many DVRS and I now use this one for all my installs. Less services, less break downs and its easy to use for the dummy consumers who don't know jack.

p

Now thats just the DVR you still need a camera power supply

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=4+camera+power+supply&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7074190047010631818&sa=X&ei=mxHITuD9M-nb0QG2qKEs&ved=0CLEBEPMCMAQ#

This is a better power supply for cameras. there are fuses in there that protect the cameras from power surges. any other type of power supply is cheap and is not what I would put in my home. You don't have to nessarly need this brand, but the same type. also watch out there are 12v and 24v power supplies. Cheaper cameras are usually 12v, the better cameras are dual voltage and it won't matter. so match up your power supply voltage with the same voltage of the cameras.

Now for a camera choice.

the higher resolution the better and clear the picture would be.

example a cheap camera would be 380 lines of resolution. a better camera would be 600 lines or higher. more lines of resolution the clearer the picture, the better its going to be able to see.

I go with dome style cameras. they have a lower profile than a goose neck bullet camera

I love these cameras. intensifier 3

http://www.specotech.com/Catalog/?action=viewprod&catid=268&prodID=908 this is a 3.6mm lens. I prefer the 2.8mm lens because its more of a fish eye and work well at seeing more in small rooms or right at the front door. This camera is about $350 + bucks. but you have the model number to look up on line on ebay or something. I have a wholesale account, I can order them at wholesale.

You really need to know how to install this stuff and usually need special tools to do a clean install. My company that I work for usually charges $2,400 + for this system (complete system installed) with a monitor, installation using more of a basic high resolution armor dome indoor outdoor camera. Yes its not cheap like I said. Shoot I have over $850 bucks just for my 8 camera DVR VMAX. worth every penny!!

I don't give my number out on the forums. but you can Private Message me for more info.

I can usually do the cameras on the side much cheaper, but work has me working 6 days a week and Plus I have my own hobby area to maintain for my patients that keep me busy. I really hate installing cameras exspecially in the cold. installing cameras is time consuming and alot of work.

it really looks like you want cameras and just want to go cheap, but I think that route doesn't work in my opinion. why even spend money on junk that just don't get the job done or doesn't work that well??

Figured id through some info up for people that are new to cameras.. this is a nice F.A.Q.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Which type of Security Camera should I use?

A security camera can come in many different styles including dome, bullet, infrared and c-mount. The security camera that will work best for your application will depend on several factors such as whether you will use the security cameras inside or out, during the day, nighttime, or both.

Bullet style security cameras are the most popular. They can be used inside or out. These security cameras come in black and white or color and come with all of the required mounting hardware. The security camera casings are weather resistant and don't require added external protection. Most security cameras have a fixed 4mm lens that allows you to see facial features out to about 35 feet and provides a 70 degree angle of view. This is the widest angle you can have without distorting the picture.

Resolution levels for black and white security cameras are about 400 lines, any higher and the benefits are minimal. For color cameras, the higher the resolution the better.

Infrared security cameras are also very popular as they allow an image to be seen in little or no lighting conditions. Most infrared security cameras are bullet style and can be used inside or out. The cameras have infrared lighting installed around the outer edge of the lens which allows the security camera to see in no light for up to 25 feet - even further with a little bit of light (like street lighting or an outside light.)

A relatively new type of security camera to the market is the day / night security camera. These types of security cameras have an extra sensitive imaging chip which allows it to capture a good picture in low light situations without using infrared leds. This is especially handy in outdoor applications because infrared security cameras do not do well in outdoor housings. Unless the infrared security camera is installed flush up to the glass of the housing, the infrared lights can reflect off of the glass of the housing which degrades the image.

The advantage to c-mount security cameras is that the lens can be changed. You'll want a special camera lens if you need to see further than 35 ft. The color c-mount security camera allows you to change lenses on the camera giving you the ability to zoom into a particular area. Varifocal camera lenses allow you to adjust the focus from 5 to 50 mm. These lenses can be used inside only unless you put it in special housing for outdoor use.

1. What type of security camera do I need?
  2. How does lens size affect distance and field of view?
  3. What is the F Stop?
  4. What is the difference C or CS Mount?
  5. Do I need an Auto or Manual Iris Lens?
  6. What is the Depth of Field?
  7. How to measure the Focal Length?
  8. What lens do I need covering an angle of?
  9. What is BLC "BackLight Compensation"?
  10. What is the camera format?
  11. What is an Auto Iris Lens?
  12. What is Automatica Gain Control(AGC)?
  13. What is "Lux" for cameras?

1. What type of security camera do I need?
    A security camera can come in many different styles including dome, bullet, infrared and c-mount. The security camera that will work best for your application will depend on several factors such as whether you will use the security cameras inside or out, during the day, nighttime, or both.

Bullet style security cameras are the most popular. They can be used inside or out. These security cameras come in black and white or color and come with all of the required mounting hardware. The security cameras casings are weather resistant and don't require added external protection. Most security cameras have a fixed 4mm lens that allows you to see facial features out to about 35 feet and provides a 70 degree angle of view. This is the widest angle you can have without distorting the picture.

Resolution levels for black and white security cameras are about 400 lines, any higher and the benefits are minimal. For color cameras, the higher the resolution the better.

Infrared security cameras are also very popular as they allow an image to be seen in little or no lighting conditions. Most infrared security cameras are bullet style and can be used inside or out. The cameras have infrared lighting installed around the outer edge of the lens which allows the security camera to see in no light for up to 25 feet - even further with a little bit of light (like street lighting or an outside light).

A relatively new type of security camera to the market is the day / night security camera. These types of security cameras have an extra sensitive imaging chip which allows it to capture a good picture in low light situations without using infrared led’s. This is especially handy in outdoor applications because infrared security cameras do not do well in outdoor housings. Unless the infrared security camera is installed flush up to the glass of the housing, the infrared lights can reflect off of the glass of the housing which degrades the image.

The advantage to c-mount security cameras is that the lens can be changed. You'll want a special camera lens if you need to see further than 35 ft. The color c-mount security camera allows you to change lenses on the camera giving you the ability to zoom into a particular area. Varifocal camera lenses allow you to adjust the focus from 5 to 50 mm. These lenses can be used inside only unless you put it in special housing for outdoor use.

Dome security cameras basically provide a different look. Also, if you have any concerns about tampering, check out our Infrared Armor Dome Security Camera. It will withstand a 10 lb sledgehammer blow and can be used inside or out, daytime or nighttime.
  2. How does lens size affect distance and field of view?
    A smaller lens value will show a shorter viewing distance and a wide field of view. A larger lens value will allow for a longer viewing distance but a narrower field of view.
  3. What is the F Stop?
    In photography, stops are also a unit used to quantify ratios of light or exposure, with one stop meaning a factor of two, or one-half. The one-stop unit is also known as the EV (exposure value) unit. On a camera, the f-number is usually adjusted in discrete steps, known as f-stops. Each "stop" is marked with its corresponding f-number, and represents a halving of the light intensity from the previous stop.
  4. What is the difference C or CS Mount?
    These are 2 standard cctv camera lens mounts. Their only difference is the the flange focal distance, which is 17.526 mm (0.69 inches) for a C-mount, 12.52 mm for the otherwise identical CS-mount.
  5. Do I need an Auto or Manual Iris Lens?
    For outdoor cameras, auto lenses are needed for lighting change.

For indoor cameras, manual lenses are sufficient to handle a more stable lighting condition.
  6. What is the Depth of Field?
    The depth of field (DOF) is the portion of a scene that appears sharp in the image. A large DOF leads to a large area in the Field of View being in focus, while a small DOF means only a small section of the Field of View are in Focus.
  7. How to measure the Focal Length?
    Please refer to this formula for calculating Focal Length:

(1/ Object distance) + (1/Image distance) = 1/Focal Length
  8. What lens do I need covering an angle of?
    Please view the table below:

Focal Length Angle of View

2.8mm 97.4 degrees

3.6mm 85 degrees

4mm 71.6 degrees

6mm 44.4 degrees

8mm 34.5 degrees

12mm 22 degrees

16mm 19 degrees

3.3-8mm 95.2-35.9 degrees

5-60mm 53.6-4 degrees
  9. What is BLC "BackLight Compensation"?
    Many cameras included a BLC circuit. This circuit is used to help correct an image with more light behind the subject being viewed. Without backlight compensation, the subject appears dark with little detail. Using backlight compensation will reduce the brightness of the light to allow the subject to appear brighter and bring out the details.
  10. What is the camera format?
    Refers to the size of the imaging sensor. Common formats are 1/4", 1/2", 1/3", 2/3", and 1". The size of the sensor directly affects the field of view obtained. When using the same size lens on different format sensors, different viewing areas are obtained. For example, using a 6 mm lens on a 1/3" sensor will give you a 37 degree field of view. Using the same lens on a 1/2" sensor will increase the field of view to 56 degrees and 74 degrees on a 2/3" sensor. It is important to make sure you have a lens that was designed for at least the size of your sensor. For instance, you can use a 1" format sensor on a 1/3" camera, but you cannot use a 1/3" lens on a 1" camera. If you use a lens designed for a smaller format camera, the image will be vignetted. Also, by using a lens designed for a larger format sensor, the field of view will be greater than what is specified.
  11. What is an Auto Iris Lens?
    An automatic iris lens is a lens with a motorized iris that automatically adjusts to only allow a specific amount of light to reach the image sensor. When there is too much light, the iris will close to reduce the amount of light let in. Auto iris lenses are primarily used in applications where light levels vary and it would be impracticable to manually adjust the lens. Automatic iris lenses are generally more efficient than the electronic shutter since they actually control the amount of light reaching the sensor as opposed to simply adjusting the shutter speed.
  12. What is Automatica Gain Control(AGC)?
    Most cameras come with an AGC circuit. This circuit examines brightness level of the video signal to keep it at a consistent level. For example, if the video signal is dark, it will attempt to increase the gain to bring the brightness up to a normal level.
  13. What is "Lux" for cameras?
    LUX is defined as "Relative amount of light that will produce a viewable image." A unit measuring the intensity of light. Full moon light is about 0.1 lux whereas full daylight is about 10,000 lux. Most color cameras can produce decent images during deep twilight. Most black and white cameras need about as much light as produced by a full moon. With our new HAD and Super HAD CCD cameras, the only light you need is starlight on a dark night.

This a a good basic home security F.A.Q.

1. What basic steps can I take to prevent my house from being burglarized?
  2. My house has been burglarized three times in two years, how can I stop this?
  3. Do home alarm systems prevent break-ins?
  4. What kind of alarm system should I get to protect my home?
  5. What features should I look for in a home alarm system?
  6. Do I have to pay to have my burglar alarm monitored by a security company?
  7. Do iron grills or bars on windows stop burglars?
  8. Will metal security screen doors prevent forced entry into my home?
  9. I’ve heard that guard dogs are effective in preventing break-ins, is that true?
  10. Can automatic garage door opener signals be read by criminals with scanners?

1. What basic steps can I take to prevent my house from being burglarized?

Think of your home as a box and the doors and windows as being openings to that box. Burglars will enter through doors or windows accessible from the ground. Just closing and locking these accessible openings when you’re away is a basic burglary prevention step. As a rule of thumb, all doors should be made out of solid core wood or be metal-clad to prevent or delay forced entry. All exterior doors should be equipped with heavy-duty deadbolt locks supported by heavy-duty four-screw strike plates fastened with three-inch wood screws solidly into the door frame. Exterior doors should have a peep-hole viewport to see who's outside before opening. Accessible sliding glass windows and doors should have secondary security devices to prevent forced entry or lifting the window pane out if its track.

2. My house has been burglarized three times in two years, how can I stop this?

Obviously, burglars are attracted your home either because of its isolated location, your lifestyle, or the way you secure the home. Simply stated, your home has burglar curb appeal and appears to be an easy target on your block. You can change this by fortifying doors and windows installing an alarm system and use it, and examine your lifestyle. For example, if you are gone a lot you should set up a relationship with neighbors to watch over your home, and pick up newspapers. If you are gone at night, install light timers to turn on interior lights or the television to simulate occupancy. Don’t leave windows, doors, or garage doors open while away and lock side gates. Use alarm signs and beware of dog signs.

3. Do home alarm systems prevent break-ins?

In a word, yes. Basic home alarm systems are designed to detect unauthorized entry and evidence of fire and report it…that’s it. It’s the fear of detection and reporting that prevents burglaries. Reporting consists of a loud bell or siren that sends most burglars running or the option of having the signal monitored by an external alarm company that will notify whomever you request. To keep burglars out, you need to warn them first of the existence of your alarm system by using a lawn sign and window decals of the alarm company. Of course, for all this to work the homeowner needs to incorporate the use of the alarm system into their everyday routine and actually use it.

4. What kind of alarm system should I get to protect my home?

The brand name doesn’t matter as long as it's good quality. Alarm systems use basic electronic components and wiring and works using a series of open and closed electonic switches. A hard-wired system is the most reliable for a newly constructed single family home. Each door and window alarm contact is supported by its own pair of wires back to the alarm panel and can be isolated as the exact point of entry. Hard-wired system wiring and door and window contacts are imbedded into the door and window frames and thereby protected from tampering.

A less-expensive reto-fit solution will use wireless technology to transmit a radio-frequency signal back to the alarm panel instead of by wire. The wireless devices are battery operated and therefore are larger and mounted externally on the door or window point of entry. They are cheaper and easier to install, but suffer from issues of tampering, battery failure, and radio frequency (RF) signal interference. Budget usually dictates what system is appropriate for your home. Wireless works great in rental housing.

5. What features should I look for in a home alarm system?

Alarms systems vary dramatically with add-on options much like buying a new car. For most people the basic alarm package is good enough. The basic system provides door and window alarm contacts on all openings, one or more infra-red motion sensor inside, an audible horn or siren, and a control panel with a digital dialer and keypad. Beyond the basic alarm system you can add hard-wired smoke and heat detectors, glass break detectors, ultra-sonic and infra-red motion sensors, temperature sensors, shock sensors, control panel tamper sensors, battery back-up, and cell phone signal reporting technology. I’ve seen upscale homes with sensors monitoring the temperature in wine cellars and caviar refrigerators.

6. Must I have my burglar alarm monitored by a security company to be effective?

No, the local horn or siren works well enough to dissuade most burglars. Program the siren to reset after 30 seconds. However, if you want the police or fire department to be called in your absence then a monitored system is the only way to go. Be advised that most insurance companies require a monitored alarm system for discounted fire insurance rates.

7. Do iron grills or bars on windows stop burglars?

Besides being ugly and a radical security measure, window grills definitely work to prevent entry through accessible windows. To be effective, the grills need to be made of substantial material and fastened with non-removable screws that cut deeply into the window frame. Be aware that the US Fire Code prohibits putting bars on windows in sleeping rooms unless there is a proper release mechanism inside or two points of escape.

8. Will metal security screen doors prevent forced entry into my home?

Metal screen doors with a deadbolt lock definitely add another layer of protection to the home. They are installed on top of the door frame and swing outward making it more difficult to force entry. These screen doors are good for homeowners who routinely leave their front door open for ventilation. These doors should not be relied upon for high security because the screen can be easily compromised and expose the deadbolt latch.

9. I’ve heard that guard dogs are effective in preventing break-ins, is that true?

Yes, burglars hate guard dogs. Dogs are noisy and can attract unwanted attention. Large guard dogs are potentially dangerous to intruder. Because of this fear, “Beware of Dog” signs posted on a gate or fence can be very effective in keeping burglars off your property.

10. Can automatic garage door opener signals be read by criminals with scanners?

This is largely an urban myth, although it is technically possible. Automatic garage door openers use remote controls that send out radio frequencies (RF) to activate the garage door opener. It is possible for a burglar to read this RF code as you enter your driveway and push the transmitter button. The crook would have to be in very close proximity (right behind you) to capture this signal with the right equipment and knowledge how to use it to open your garage door in your absence. A criminal with this much talent could probably find a real job somewhere. Fortunately, most quality garage door openers now have a RF signal scrambler feature that uses a random RF signal for each opening and thereby defeats the risk of code copying and use.

Archived