Wayne County's Former Top Drug Prosecutor Disbarred After Perjury Scandal

Karen Plants, Wayne County’s top drug prosecutor who was arrested and jailed in a perjury scandal, has been disbarred. The state Attorney Discipline Board ruled that a two-year suspension was inadequate punishment for her use of false testimony in a major cocaine case.

In a 48-page decision released late Tuesday, the board said the legal system cannot tolerate lawyers who “intentionally procure or countenance false testimony, even for a purpose the lawyer may consider justifiable.”

Plants used false testimony from two Inkster narcotics investigators to hide the identity and role of their secret paid informant in a 2005 drug bust. Plants pleaded guilty to a felony and the cops pleaded guilty to misdemeanors. The felony trial of Mary Waterstone, the now-retired judge in the case, is on hold pending appeals.

Initially, Plants’s law license was suspended for two years, but the Attorney Grienance Commission, the state’s legal watchdog, appealed it as too lenient. The Discipline Board agreed and revoked her license.

Plants’s lawyer Kenneth Mogill could not be reached for immediate comment.

Under state rules, a disbarred lawyer can reapply after five years, but has to appear before a fitness panel and retake the bar examination

I can only hope that there will be many more to fall from the offices they hold. To rule with the Iron Hand is to "Do as I Say and not as I Do" or the "I Make the Law" or the ever so recent "You may not use or even speak of this Law", sends chills thru me. Many folks right here on this site have felt the slow wheels of Justice, and in the end, this justice was so unjust. I sorrow for the many folks and family members that were harmed by a Justice System, tarnished by corruption, and the judgement by opinion and not by Law. Karen Plants was just one PA, along with 2 Police, and one Judge, there are more that must follow in order to shut down this GREED MACHINE. How many more? I could not say, I can see that there is a high price to pay for the proof of innocents. I too, must be GUILTY for I will not be able to afford my innocents. So again I ask, How many more will need to fall from the platform on which they stand? It's a hard question to answer, the only way for me to aswer would be, all of them.

Thanks for sharing this info,

We all know that this goes on a lot more than is made public. It's a shame that things like this are pushed under the rug. Where are the felony charge? One felony is a joke! We all know that there is all ways multiple felony charges. Cops plead guilty to misdemeanors and right back to work doing the same thing. How about the judge,now-retired? That smells a little fishy. Where is bs and his crack da's? This is his job,I'm sure that more than one felony in all this. How about all the cases they have been involved with? Where are the feds? Had to be some civil right violation. Where are the news people? This should be all over the news!

We all know that this goes on a lot more than is made public. It's a shame that things like this are pushed under the rug. Where are the felony charge? One felony is a joke! We all know that there is all ways multiple felony charges. Cops plead guilty to misdemeanors and right back to work doing the same thing. How about the judge,now-retired? That smells a little fishy. Where is bs and his crack da's? This is his job,I'm sure that more than one felony in all this. How about all the cases they have been involved with? Where are the feds? Had to be some civil right violation. Where are the news people? This should be all over the news!

i agree

Archived