Any Ideas Which Legislators May Be 'on The Fence'

Cavanaugh (D) is reported to be considering voting against it, and he is one of the bill sponsors. I had a conversation with his office and suggested he drop it, and that we have a motivated electorate of over three million people. The aide I was talking to said that there have been no sponsors before who have turned on their own legislation. Two days later there was a report in the press saying that is exactly what he may be kicking around. Wouldn't it be sweet if we were to convince him to do that? And because he is a sponsor, it is entirely appropriate that you contact him, even if he is not your district representative.

Definitely Democrats, but the most effective one can be right now is with their own representative. Coffee hours in your district, and take a buddy or two. Talk about the registry access in HB 4834 and let them know it is a violation of your rights and not what the voters had in mind for patients.

I keep hearing here to forget contacting folks outside of your district and to forget about emailing and that email-o-matic tool.

I have been in close contact with my reps and I think my reps in the House and Senate are on our side. Does that mean I should put down the pen because my fight is over?

Any lobbying effort needs to decide who to lobby and who to not lobby. I am surprised with all the legislative savvy people we now have in the organization, we don't know who to target.

I've gotten in email discussions with perhaps 10 or so legislators outside of my district. The conversations started because they responded to email-o-matic messages. That tool fell out of favor recently because some reps claimed they didn't read those mass email messages. If even 50 out of 148 don't read those mass emailings, should we stop sending the messages through the email-o-matic?

Also, there is no house-wide blocking of email-o-matic messages, according to my representative. So why is that tool out of favor? Do we not have rights to use it, or what??

I think emails to legislators, even out of district legislators, can be effective, especially if these emails include the email IDs of lots of folks in the press. The truth is on our side.

At this point I think it can help our cause to show the press and the people that the legislators are aware of the harsh consequences of their bills to patients. These bills often seem innocuous on the surface and a legislator can claim that they didn't know about the bad ramifications, unless we tell them in writing and copy a bunch of the media. They would be harder pressed to say they didn't know after that.

This is why I think it would be important to know who to target with our efforts. Why is a list of legislators on the fence unimportant to those fighting for this cause? I must be missing something here. It seems like lobbying 101 to me.

Is it publicly naming legislators that may help us, is that the issue? Send me a PM if the issue needs privacy

I gather you feel emails are ineffective following the hand delivery of our Unity Letter. You also seem to feel that no Republican could ever support us on any bill. Let's say we disagree there.

It is also pretty apparent you are not the person to ask for a list of legislators possibly on the fence. No problem.

I'm having trouble understanding why you seem to be discounting the importance of any list of key names. I think that those names would be very important to those of us that wanted to continuing communicating after the Unity letter.

Maybe I'm just slow but now I'm confused a little. Is it your wish that individuals not act outside Unity Messages now?

I'll continue to write my own letters to reps & sens in or out of my district regardless of a Unity letter, anyone's wish or the best of someone's knowledge. Been writing for 35 years and don't need anyone to tell me how to do it or who or who not to write to.

But that's me. What do I know. :bong2:

Washtenut. I see no one making a move to prohibit you from communicating any way you wish. By all means, contact anyone and everyone, in or out of government who has anything to say regarding the issue. Knock yourself out. It's too bad that you cannot find people to kick you, and we sure wish you would stop with the self flagellation. I am grateful for the effort on everyones' part, to include the group letter.

I believe that we are past the point where one man typing on a keyboard can yield any kind of real effect with the audience we are trying to reach. We need to turn our efforts outwards and find others that are willing to join us in very specific, coordinated actions that target the legislators that are directly beholden to that individual. We need to organize ourselves as a strong voting bloc, and be able to display it when needed.

I certainly DO NOT wish individuals to stop acting. That is precisely the opposite of what I am trying to say. Rather than one person writing five hundred letters, we need 100 people writing five letters, directly to the officials that are accountable for representing those 100 people.

Also, I do not believe that there are no Republicans that support us or will be convinced by us to support us. I just don't think they will be swayed by someone outside their district, based on what I have experienced so far. I want to help people to spend their efforts in the most effective ways possible. We do know a lot of things that don't work by now.

In addition, I gave you my list of key names: it just doesn't include any Republicans, and includes all Democrats. The reason that list doesn't include any Republicans is that I believe constituent communication is the only thing that will possibly sway these people.

I decided to sleep on your opinion and this morning, I still think you are wrong

I think now the path to success involves the press as much as the legislature. We need public opinion (and votes) on our side as we really have nothing to offer the legislature for cooperation except votes from this community. If you are saying that a letter alone is unlikely to move any one rep, you could be right. But, I think if you let the rep know that the press knows what they are plotting, it impacts their plans. Hopefully the press will follow through to let the voters know when they are being misled. Public opinion will sway a legislator and I think emails and letters from a single keyboard still have some power to that end - even if they come from outside the rep's district.

It is clear Zap, that you and GregS have your own tactics and I hope you get through to your contacts. I am sorry if you feel individuals writing uncoordinated messages is hurting your plan. At this point in time, relying on these contacts and plans has gotten patients nowhere but pushed backwards. Good luck with your contacts, but you may very well be getting played by experienced politicians.

I think shining the light of the press on the dealings in Lansing is still an effective tactic. I would still like to continue writing to these legislators and copying the press.

So, anyone besides Zap have any ideas of which legislators are on the fence?

(Oh, and GregS, I am still waiting to hear from you. I sent you a pm too. Who does 'we' refer to in your statement above (and now just below too)? I'd like to find out why emailing legislators is messing with your plans.

'It's too bad that you cannot find people to kick you, and we sure wish you would stop with the self flagellation')

By Representative's Name

Name

District

vote

vote

vote

vote

Term

Ananich, Jim

no

yes

yes

no

Barnett, Vicki

yes

yes

yes

yes

Bauer, Joan

yes

yes

yes

yes

Bledsoe, Tim

no

yes

yes

yes

Brown, Lisa

no

yes

yes

no

Brunner, Charles

yes

yes

yes

yes

Byrum, Barb

yes

yes

yes

yes

Cavanagh, Phil

yes

yes

yes

yes

Clemente, Paul D.

yes

yes

yes

yes

Constan, Bob

yes

yes

yes

yes

Darany, George T.

yes

yes

yes

yes

Dillon, Brandon

no

yes

yes

no

Durhal Jr., Fred

no

yes

no

no

Geiss, Douglas A.

no

no

no

no

Greimel, Tim

yes

yes

yes

yes

Hammel, Richard E.

no

no

no

no

Haugh, Harold L.

yes

yes

yes

yes

Hobbs, Rudy

no

yes

yes

yes

Hovey-Wright, Marcia

yes

yes

yes

yes

Howze, Lisa L.

no

yes

no

yes

Irwin, Jeff

no

no

no

no

Jackson, Shanelle

yes

yes

yes

yes

Kandrevas, Andrew J.

yes

yes

yes

yes

Lane, Marilyn

yes

yes

yes

yes

LeBlanc, Richard

yes

yes

yes

yes

Lindberg, Steven

no

yes

yes

yes

Lipton, Ellen Cogen

no

yes

no

no

Liss, Lesia

yes

yes

yes

yes

McCann, Sean

no

yes

yes

no

Meadows, Mark

yes

yes

yes

yes

Nathan, David

no

yes

yes

yes

Oakes, Stacy Erwin

yes

yes

yes

yes

Olumba, John

no

yes

no

no

Rutledge, David

no

yes

yes

yes

Santana, Harvey

no

no

no

no

Schmidt, Roy

yes

yes

yes

no

Segal, Kate

yes

yes

yes

yes

Slavens, Dian

no

yes

yes

yes

Smiley, Charles

yes

yes

yes

yes

Stallworth, Thomas

none

none

none

none

Stanley, Woodrow

no

yes

yes

no

Stapleton, Maureen L.

no

yes

yes

no

Switalski, Jon M.

yes

yes

yes

yes

Tinsley-Talabi, Alberta

no

yes

no

no

Tlaib, Rashida H.

no

yes

yes

no

Townsend, Jim

yes

yes

yes

yes

Womack, Jimmy

yes

yes

yes

yes

State Representative Harvey Santana is a native Detroiter who graduated from Chadsey High School in 1990. Upon graduation, he joined the United States Navy where he served as a Petty Officer Third Class and served in Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

All no votes and a Vet.

Has anyone spoke to him?

Archived