"mi. Pharmaceutical-grade Cannabis Licensed Facility?"

So? What does everyone think about the new bill (HB 5681 by Reps. LeBlanc, Liss, Callton & Walsh) that takes a different approach than the “Provisioning” bill (HB 5580) and sets-up a procedure for licensing “Pharmaceutical-Grade Cannabis Licensed Facilities.”

It seems to leave things as they are for current patients & caregivers if they want to grow their own – but no sales would be allowed.

Then, it creates a new category of eligible patients – ones that the referring physician says need to have "PHARMACEUTICAL-GRADE CANNABIS" – they would get an “Enhanced PHARMACEUTICAL-GRADE CANNABIS Registration Card" which would allow them to go their friendly-neighborhood "Mi. Pharmaceutical-Grade Cannabis Licensed Facility” where they could buy products.

It takes the local control out of the Provisioning Bill’s approach, except a local government could limit the number and establishes zoning – but they would have no oversight.

Much of the talk around this bill is about it rescheduling "marihuana" from I to II - but, truthfully, a state doing that doesn't mean much. What's hidden in the bill is this fascinating new take on distribution.

Anyway, this is it looks from here – high above the Mighty Muskegon. I’m most interested in how others read this.

I am going to review and digest this a little. I don't like scheduling marijuana 2-5 for reasons I've made clear. Use another example. Where do you get permission to use vicodin (and what is determined when you do), where do you take that prescription, and can you grow vicodin in your basement? Who regulates vicodin, tracks both the patient and the doctor, and prosecutes them? Is it state or federal?

More later.

Dr. Bob

Maybe you can ask him about what seems to be a two-tiered system in this bill: some patients would have their regular MMMP card but others would be able to get the new-fangled "Enhanced Pharmacectuical-Grade Cannabis Registration Card." If some marijuana is safe and some isn't - why wouldn't they let anyone with a Doctor's certification get the good, safe stuff? is it just to make every card holder go back to a physican (and pay for another appointment) - then pay another state fee - just to be able to go to the new state licensed facilities for cannabis that won't kill ya?

The word "Pharmaceutical" is synonymous with Poison. This proposed law looks like poison, so I believe the one-sided, piece of sheet name is apt for this horrible plot cast upon patients and caregivers.

Whomever wishes to impose the title "pharmaceutical-grade" on patients is EVIL. THAT is exactly what sick people are trying to minimize in their life. Pharmaceutics are mostly for-profit garbage, much like this proposed over-regulated commercial style grow that is discussed here.

Pharmaceutical-Grade marijuana = F AIL

ASA IS PUSHING FOR 5580

Got this yesterday.

Dear xxxxx—

Chairman John Walsh and his colleagues on the House Judiciary Committee have the power to move HB 5580 closer to a vote in the House of Representatives. House Bill 5580, entitled the “Medical Marihuana Provisioning Center Regulation Act”, would allow localities to regulate medical cannabis dispensing centers. These centers are desperately needed in order to provide access for patients who are currently unable to provide for themselves.

Call Chairman Walsh and members of the House Judiciary Committee today and urge them to place this Bill on the Judiciary Committee agenda soon by dialing (517) 373-3920 for Chairman Walsh and using the script below.

To contact other committee members, click here and address them using the following script, as well.

To Chairman Walsh—

I am a medical marijuana _____________________ who is calling to encourage a vote on HB 5580, the “Medical Marihuana Provisioning Center Regulation Act”. This bill should be placed on the Judiciary Committee agenda no later than the end of June and reported favorably back to the House of Representatives for readings and a vote. I hope your office can be a champion on this issue, and take a stand for safe access.

Thank you.

Thank you for taking action.

The proposed 5681 is heady reading. I don't see intrusion to the MMMA, pts & cgs. State licensing & regulation of dispensaries is at least more positive than laws that would only allow only pills, true pharmaceuticals, or a no-high plant. Much less a cave in UP run by a foreign company as sole provider to a dispensary. Dispensaries obviously can be lucrative and I don't object to fairly strict requirements to allow them for the public health. Anymore than micro breweries. Never seen a bar where the owner can legally sell his homemade moonshine to the public. I am more positive on this bill than negative. What I want to see is a Bill that let's me as pt & or cg sell my overage to such an establishment, subject to quality testing of course. If it passes, I would like to invest in a company to establish such a venture. Any capitalists out there??

A few of u here have the ear of some of the legislators, so I'l ask to see if ya can perhaps forward this idea...

But what about using their language... That the bills should protect competition for those wanting to open dispensaries and grows? Or even for caregivers to compete directly w dispensaries?

As long as the bills don't make licensing a major burden... Say 15k app fees and another 25k for the actual lic or no caps on the numbers thereof... Or not excluding patients and cg's from 'selling'... Then it can be argued that it allows the smaller more concientious operation to enter and compete... Because they have a better grade of product.

Most of the bills that come from the big groups allow for certain players to stake out their interests and place reswtrictions on others from playing... Doesn't have to go that way.

But wallyweed is still better than jailing people. I hate to say this, but I would personally give up the right to grow... So long as we don't jail people for this any longer, and let those that r in jail out... For the mj. Lesser of two evils in my book. Peace

A few of u here have the ear of some of the legislators, so I'l ask to see if ya can perhaps forward this idea...

But what about using their language... That the bills should protect competition for those wanting to open dispensaries and grows? Or even for caregivers to compete directly w dispensaries?

As long as the bills don't make licensing a major burden... Say 15k app fees and another 25k for the actual lic or no caps on the numbers thereof... Or not excluding patients and cg's from 'selling'... Then it can be argued that it allows the smaller more concientious operation to enter and compete... Because they have a better grade of product.

Most of the bills that come from the big groups allow for certain players to stake out their interests and place reswtrictions on others from playing... Doesn't have to go that way.

Agreed, I want to keep big pharm off the farm. But if you want to keep a level playing field, your glib app and lic fee suggestions are not for the feint of heart. Bonding of principals to the state could substitute. Certainly any biz model reqs capital but there should be some dispensation so to speak for those currently participating in MMM. Not Nestle for gawd sakes.

This bill we must oppose unless they are growing only for export to Canada.

My personal view is that this is premature, We have barely ironed out patient/caregiver issues.

So now the question is how do we stop this bill period. I would like to see this bill tabled for consideration say in about 2 years. By then we should have a solid foundation built for the patient / caregiver model.

Edited by Fat Freddy

This is the bill we have discussed on the show. We heard about it quite a while ago but had not seen it until today. According to Callton this bill is their preference if the Feds reschedule marijuana, but could not be used except under those conditions.

I have invited Callton onto the show tonight, so if he is available, we can get some answers.

After listening to him talk about how he doesn't even read some or most of the bills and does not have full understanding of them I do not believe he is well informed enough to know rather or not that is actually true. It does not state that in the bill does it?

The talk of this being for a Canadian company is bad for Michigan. If they actually want something like that it should be from a company in Michigan or better yet the caregivers as was discussed on the show. It would be a boost for our economy which we sorely need. This bill really makes me wonder what and who is really behind it. IMO there is something not quite right with this whole picture.

Michigan already imports mega tons of garbage from Canada. It's not like they don't have room for their garbage, but (somehow) we let them drop it here for very cheap. It sure would be nice if they kept their own trash.

http://www.waste-management-world.com/index/display/article-display/2310995563/articles/waste-management-world/markets-policy-finance/2011/04/Stop_Canadian_Trash_Act_to_End_Waste_Imports_into_U_S_.html

Michigan already imports mega tons of garbage from Canada. It's not like they don't have room for their garbage, but (somehow) we let them drop it here for very cheap. It sure would be nice if they kept their own trash.

http://www.waste-man..._into_U_S_.html

Looks like Michigan needs to up their prices that might deter this from happening. Yuck like the US doesn't' have enough trash, I don't understand why in the world we even allow this.

Edited by restlesslegs

It seems to me that Callton was fishing for potential pharma growers to help him refine HB 5681.

But also, I was thinking it through a bit more this morning. Why is there a card system, etc. if this is for after the Feds reschedule? After the Feds reschedule, folks would use a prescription and a pharmacy to get pharmaceutical-grade, schedule II marijuana, I'd think.

Things are not really adding up for me at this point, and Thursday nights show really left me, ultimately, with more questions than answers.

You and me both. Now I do not trust him his answers did not seem honest to me. That is a shame because I felt the first time I heard him that he did have our interest at heart although not very knowledgeable on many of the things about MM he did seem sincere. Not this time around something was odd about his answers.

I do hope your right once trust is lost, this is what was a big shame to me, it is hard to gain back. Him not reading this bill but putting his sig on it has to make anyone wonder about decisions being made though. Hopefully he will either be better briefed or actually be able to read what it is he puts his name on or votes for/against. I do appreciate he is willing to talk with you.

I do think he is being honest in his answers, but polishing them as much as possible to try to make them less offensive to us. I don't think he means anything truly dishonest by it, but is looking forward to a future with pharmaceutical cannabis for certain patient's sake. It is possible he has seen some of the same flaws in the bill we have seen after being pressured by our dispensary groups. I will be probing him when I talk to him next specifically on this bill, along with speaking more about the future of the House bills, and trying to get him to vote against them if given the chance to vote again.

I think that this is a coherent assessment and plan. I was not overly impressed with the all of the answers he gave on the show, either. Rep Callton has agreed to discuss it further with me, and I will be taking him up on it.

I still believe Rep Callton to be a good man who is on our side. If not perfect, much better than most and deserving of hearing him out and giving him the opportunity to prove, by action, that he is sincere.

Yes anyone deserves to be heard out. I don't know if he was taken by surprise and appeared to be ignorant about what the bill said or something else. He needs time at this point to go across that bill and really look into what it all means for every party concerned. He deserves that and we deserve the answers. The trust issue is for anyone who listened to that show, things like that can and sometimes do cause much more harm then good even to the most honest. I will be very interested in what Rep. Callton has to say.