well im back with another question. well i have been using city water for my girls an thay dont like it well there not dead thay look really good an about 4 an a half ft tall so i started a 14 gal tote for 4 plants im still using dirt as well the tote i filled with great value spring water no water filter at home is that water good to use?? an for a second i thought about collecting rain water to use with my dirt part what do u think??? thanks for reading p.s i have pics just ask

You might also want to know the amount of dissolved minerals in the city water - i.e. how "hard" it is. Those minerals can clog up soil and cause nutrient lockout. A guy I know has been using softened well water for 3 years and has had no problems despite what all the grow books say. Soft water works. It is close enough to rain water, which by the way is probably the best water that can be used.

well the city water has way to much chlorine in it i fill a gallon jug an wow an i know most nutes an some soil's say no chlorinated water i do have a 6 in 1 tester but im not 1 for calabration so im having issues with the tester but when i did check it wasnt over 7 i tested tap water an filtered tap water between high 5.5 an 7 with a ph up / down kit the ph tester that comes with it

well im back with another question. well i have been using city water for my girls an thay dont like it well there not dead thay look really good an about 4 an a half ft tall so i started a 14 gal tote for 4 plants im still using dirt as well the tote i filled with great value spring water no water filter at home is that water good to use?? an for a second i thought about collecting rain water to use with my dirt part what do u think??? thanks for reading p.s i have pics just ask

Rain water is the way to go imho. it's natural ph is 7 and allows for good nuit take up by the plant. And also lends it's self to mixing well with most nuits.

Will post a pic of my hillbilly rain collector.

As promised here they are:

It is a 55 gal drum on a modified saw horse. The black bucket is for Adding mixed nuits.

As you will note I have a plastic facet for water flow control ( it needs some tweeking though )

The black plastic hose is buried to cool the water as it goes to my tomatoes ;)

off the main line I have 1 - 2 gph drip emitters. Have fun. Any questions are welcome.

post-22367-0-51887300-1345940561_thumb.jpg

post-22367-0-05202600-1345940562_thumb.jpg

post-22367-0-01630800-1345940600_thumb.jpg

post-22367-0-33255800-1345940710_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fat Freddy

Rain water is the way to go imho. it's natural ph is 7 and allows for good nuit take up by the plant. And also lends it's self to mixing well with most nuits.

Will post a pic of my hillbilly rain collector.

As promised here they are:

It is a 55 gal drum on a modified saw horse. The black bucket is for Adding mixed nuits.

As you will note I have a plastic facet for water flow control ( it needs some tweeking though )

The black plastic hose is buried to cool the water as it goes to my tomatoes ;)

off the main line I have 1 - 2 gph drip emitters. Have fun. Any questions are welcome.

right on!!! i do have the blue 55 gal drum so thats a good idea i have one of them 6 in 1 testers havin issues with it. but yeah thanks for the info!!

Chlorine will kill the good organisms in the soil. I don't think plants like it either. I have heard that you can leave a container of chlorinated water sit out for 24 hours and the chlorine will dissipate, but I would filter the chlorine out myself.

yeah i seen something like that on you tube so i bought a few gallons of the GV spring an distilled water my girls looked good but i knew thay didnt like the water i was giving them what ever i can do to make them happy thay will make me happy in the end lol!!

I collected and used rain water for years. We had a bit of a drought once, so I went down to the river and got water from there. BIG MISTAKE!!!! My rain water Ph'd at 7.1 and only took 1 mil per gallon to Ph to 5.5. The river water tested at 7.7 but took 4 mills per gallon to Ph. The problem with the river water was, I got BUGS!! I was able to eradicate them but, it scared the poop outta me! My plants loved the rain water tho! Mm

ahh yeah i have the blue 55 rez was guna make an ebb-flow type of set up a guy i was talking to a wile back on here had a post of his home made set up with bubbles so i got everything an than didnt make it i did every thing seperate

Just be sure its legal where you live to harvest rain water and only catch the rain drops you can prove are yours...

The Legalities of Rainwater Harvesting

http://green.blogs.n...ter-harvesting/

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

http://www.naturalne...l#ixzz24qgdjerz

think of it this way...

cannabis has existed for over 10,000 years.

RO, distilled, filtered and bottled spring water are only a few decades old.

rain water, sunlight, good ole fashion dirt and maybe some manure! thats what plants crave.

is a good idea to ph test your rain water, make sure its not picking up any contaminates off your roof, or in the air above your city, e.g. acid rain.

try collecting some rain water in a cup and drink it. bet it tastes better than city water.

(too bad michigan is in a drought or this would be easier)

Edited by teethpain

wow thay wont let us do any thing!!!!! thats the first time i ever heard anything about collecting rain water. i used all the store water i had no back to the city water :( if any one has seen my other post im in need. i may just throw in the towel i have a lot of time an just problem after problem i know every grow is diff but if im just going to go to the club to donate my meds cause im not happy with them why grow i may just need someone who knows what their doin 3 harvest's 5 strains some of which i love an thay didnt turn out the way i liked i have read an read an still i dont know whats goin on i dont have issues with bugs but fungas nats i have 2 girls that are almost 5ft tall an 2 that are between 2 an 3.5ft tall my elephant has what looks to be rust spots on the leafs if i let them go it gets worse on that leaf than it dies i have to pull it off all my clones were stressed like wilted over during cloning other than my la cheese an blue dream an elephant purple was bought at a dispensary a 1 or 2 of my fav strains. it just gets fustrating when u try an try i mean i have to give myself a break i havent been growing a year yet. just about 8 to 10 months an i love growing i cant tell u people how much i love it its like a hobby of mine. i am using roots organics master pack for feeding an distilled an spring water an when i dont have eather i use city water so anyone can give me some kind words that would be very helpful thanks for reading

well the best 1 i found was the phosphorus late stage which is only on 1 the elephant i can try to get some pics tonight before the lights go on i still dont have a green light i picked most of the leafs off that were bad but i still may be able to get a pic or 2 ill post them roughly 10 tonight

wow thay wont let us do any thing!!!!! thats the first time i ever heard anything about collecting rain water. i used all the store water i had no back to the city water :( if any one has seen my other post im in need. i may just throw in the towel i have a lot of time an just problem after problem i know every grow is diff but if im just going to go to the club to donate my meds cause im not happy with them why grow i may just need someone who knows what their doin 3 harvest's 5 strains some of which i love an thay didnt turn out the way i liked i have read an read an still i dont know whats goin on i dont have issues with bugs but fungas nats i have 2 girls that are almost 5ft tall an 2 that are between 2 an 3.5ft tall my elephant has what looks to be rust spots on the leafs if i let them go it gets worse on that leaf than it dies i have to pull it off all my clones were stressed like wilted over during cloning other than my la cheese an blue dream an elephant purple was bought at a dispensary a 1 or 2 of my fav strains. it just gets fustrating when u try an try i mean i have to give myself a break i havent been growing a year yet. just about 8 to 10 months an i love growing i cant tell u people how much i love it its like a hobby of mine. i am using roots organics master pack for feeding an distilled an spring water an when i dont have eather i use city water so anyone can give me some kind words that would be very helpful thanks for reading

relax, learn from your mistakes, I quit growing for nearly 12 yrs, didnt have all the strains we have now either, Im using distilled water, I have a water softener, I dont want the sodium in there, I lost my 1st 3 plants, got 6 out of 6 clones to live lol, than almost lost my 4th plant before crop time, I limped it thru! chill, take notes, if your nutes has a recipee see what each 0z/tsp to gal changes your ppm and ph, I did that with every nute I have, no how much it takes to fill your res, If your water is changing on a daily basis (like mine did in dwc) you may need to mix your nutes up in a spare res with a bubler for at least 5 days (check it every day) before it can be used, I go and buy either by the gallon for 79 cents a gallon or get the 2 1/2 gal for 2.50 that is all I use, Im growing in promix and in 3.5 gal buckets, I put a gallon in each one every 4 or 5 days and i get about a 1/4 gal back out and test it, its going in and coming out pretty much the same now, what i need is some one to tell me how to get the nice deep green back into my leaves. my plants seem healty but look like they are either getting nute burn or lite burn, im using gh nutes, I have been leaving out the base, it seem to lock out the other nutes, I been using a lil cal mag along with a lil veg from gh and the budd from gh! any opinions will be appreciated to get em green again!

but dont give up, keep going you will lose a few until you get locked into your own method!

Peace

Jim

Edited by phaquetoo

relax, learn from your mistakes, I quit growing for nearly 12 yrs, didnt have all the strains we have now either, Im using distilled water, I have a water softener, I dont want the sodium in there, I lost my 1st 3 plants, got 6 out of 6 clones to live lol, than almost lost my 4th plant before crop time, I limped it thru! chill, take notes, if your nutes has a recipee see what each 0z/tsp to gal changes your ppm and ph, I did that with every nute I have, no how much it takes to fill your res, If your water is changing on a daily basis (like mine did in dwc) you may need to mix your nutes up in a spare res with a bubler for at least 5 days (check it every day) before it can be used, I go and buy either by the gallon for 79 cents a gallon or get the 2 1/2 gal for 2.50 that is all I use, Im growing in promix and in 3.5 gal buckets, I put a gallon in each one every 4 or 5 days and i get about a 1/4 gal back out and test it, its going in and coming out pretty much the same now, what i need is some one to tell me how to get the nice deep green back into my leaves. my plants seem healty but look like they are either getting nute burn or lite burn, im using gh nutes, I have been leaving out the base, it seem to lock out the other nutes, I been using a lil cal mag along with a lil veg from gh and the budd from gh! any opinions will be appreciated to get em green again!

but dont give up, keep going you will lose a few until you get locked into your own method!

Peace

Jim

well i have 6 in dirt 5 are #2 black pots that are 5 gal im almost sure an the other is in like a 2 or 3 gal nursery pot i mix the nutes as i go in 1 gal jug so when it comes time to feed i get a gallon of eather spring or distilled an add nutes shake it up than feed them 1 gal for each plant i mix the nutes the same according to the cycle 4 budding an 1 looks like hell to a point mine are really green color tops may be alittle lighter cause their so tall an close to the light maybe a foot away. i will post pics tonight. i wont give up but whats odd is i dont have a grow buddy had family i trusted mystake had friends that was supost to be friends close as family mystake so im on my own 100% well 90% other than here! your saying test the nutrient filled water? before putting it in the plants. i got 1 of them 6 in 1 testers i think an hope it works right other than the cal solution i think it may be off no wat to check or is there? i do have a blue 55 gal rez empty never used by me since i bought it what i should just put my 40 to 45 gal of water in there along with the roots organics nutes im using an dip my gal jug in an than to the plant well test it first. i just recently did a 14gal tote 4 plants pute nutes in an i got so much foam it was crazy it smelt like a chemical or somekind of burn the roots are just out of the net cup about an inch or less so i drained the water than refilled with just water it roots organics good to use in the water or is there something more i have to do or something else that would maybe mix with the water alittle better i just dont know if im getting what i want out of the roots nutes im using M3 soil in 1 or 2 the rest or the dirt grow is roots dirt in the light brown bag ill have to look up the kind that it is. but yeah i wont give up i just find myself wanting an finding more an better use an affect from other peoples medi grows the im a member at the genesee compassion club an so far what i have picked worked for me i have found just alittle better at dispensarys but to much $ id rather suport other good hard working people in the area than go to a shop. i also having issues with power outlets had 2 go out so had to move things to other areas of the house all i use is 3 6inch inline fans 1 like 16 inch adjustable fan from walmart 1 410 watt 25 pint dehumidifier 1 12,000 btu window ac unit 1 600 watt hps/mh digital ballest an bulb 1 2ft 4 bulb t5 1 125 watt hydrofarm day system light an 1 25 watt commercial air pumpwith 6 outlets 1 4ft by 4ft by 6.5 ft tent for veg an a 78x78x78 tent for bud the room stays about 70 or so with lights off well the ac unit is set at 70 an when light is on 600 watt that is i set it at 69 an the room stays about 77.

Edited by wondertree

Im not sure if I understood you, I check my water after I mix the nutes and after it comes out of the plant, Im using promix as my medium it looks like dirt but has no sand or dirt in it, all bark and god knows what else. I check the ppms and the ph, I just use the lil water and drops to test the ph, and my ppms only checks the parts per million and temp, I have two testers, one ya have to collaborate the other you dont, I use the one you dont :yahoo-wave:

Im on my 3rd run in a yr bawahahahaha! I killed the first run, 3 beautys that my c.g vegged for me!!!! In dwc or bubbles just water and bubbles and nutes and air pumps blah blah blah, and if ya can afford it or are creative ya get ur self an ebb n flow or make one,

The 2nd run c.g got me a mother, she was so beautiful I forgot to cut clones!!! thru her rite in budd and proceded to kill it :yahoo-wave:

It was in a 10 gallon bucket with promix, I took it outside about 4 wks into budd and poured over 20 gallons of water thru her! the water coming out was over 3500ppm and unreadable low ph! I got it down to 1200 ppm and 5.5 ph, I was afraid to put any more water in her lol, she got to 9 wks in budd and i harvested 3 oz's most def should of been 6 or more!

Now im on my 3rd cg brought me 3 clones, their in budd 1 wk today, I ran em about 5 wks in veg.

I pretty much have the same lites tents and t5's 600/400 hps/mh ballast, and I have a 600 watt hps ballast in box still I havent been vegging, these are the first ones ive vegged, my c.g gets em to me ready to budd, im thinking the change in rooms had a lot to do with the slow deaths of the plants, all died like 6 wks into bud the first time, 2nd time i got her to 9 wks, she was an 8 to 10 wk budd,

One of the things you didnt say you did was, Do you put enough water in each plant to get a pretty good amount out? I try to get darn near 1/4 gallon out of each of mine, if it isnt draining from every hole it gets more water, Now thats me, dont know if anyone will agree with that, also I run just ph'd water every 3rd time to flush em out!

Im thinking of getting all 5 gallon or bigger buckets, but i mite stay with the 3.5, I dont want em getting to big, and I wont ever have more than 2 or 3 in budd, I have 1 pt and she lives with me so we dont need to much and I have a c.g just in case lol!

all I can tell ya, on my first run in bubbles, I was checking that shtuff daily, hourly, i was obsessed, im tellin ya I have notes that say what each nute changes in the water 1 gallon to 1 tsp, I usualy mix up 6 gallons at a time, I only use half of it, so i get 2 waterings out of it, than the 3rd time every time i put just water no nutes in em, I put a air pump and a big stone in my res, I go mix it up every day, and ph test it every other, its staying the same now, my house water changes like, enough to drive me crazy! lol

I guess we can learn together, ask 20 people the same question and ya get 20 diff answers! :bong2:

Peace

Jim

edit= at least im using meds I grew,(finaly) and it isnt bad, raspberry cough!

Edited by phaquetoo

#1 run in 12 yrs

100_1033.jpg

100_1169.jpg

all 3 above met the same fate from the master of disaster!

below #2 run a beauty mother plant of raspberry cough!

100_1175.jpg

a mother raspberry cough, i recieved like this and turned it into below pic

the 20 gallon flush out doors, I was thinking of getting a wagon and taking it for a walk every day!

100_1196.jpg

now my 3rd run from 3 clones two cheeses and 1 blue widow.

7-21-12clonesbwbc.jpg

veg below after transplant

veg7-22.jpg

and now 1 wk into bud

8-30-3.jpg

I hope you have better luck than me, but im not swetting it, it will all come together very soon!

as you see I have them all in dish washing pans, I put 2 peices of wood under them when i water and the water that comes out goes into the tub, i dont let the water stay in the tub longer than and hr, than I test each one to see what the ph and ppms are on the way out, now if your using regular dirt, im pretty sure it wont drain thru like this promix, it can handle more water than needed it runs thru it, I make sure that way there are no air pockets left in the medium. and I can water them in the tents, Im pretty sure your watering like me the old fashioned way!

Peace

Jim

edit = i have so many 6" inline and 4" inline fans, than I went out and bought this inline high velosity fan 424 cfm its starting to suck the seems apart on my tent, I had to run and get the plug in adjustment, it was just to strong for the lil tent, I have no a.c, no dehumidifier just this baby in my basement for air exchange!

fan2.jpg

Edited by phaquetoo

Im not sure if I understood you, I check my water after I mix the nutes and after it comes out of the plant, Im using promix as my medium it looks like dirt but has no sand or dirt in it, all bark and god knows what else. I check the ppms and the ph, I just use the lil water and drops to test the ph, and my ppms only checks the parts per million and temp, I have two testers, one ya have to collaborate the other you dont, I use the one you dont :yahoo-wave:

Im on my 3rd run in a yr bawahahahaha! I killed the first run, 3 beautys that my c.g vegged for me!!!! In dwc or bubbles just water and bubbles and nutes and air pumps blah blah blah, and if ya can afford it or are creative ya get ur self an ebb n flow or make one,

The 2nd run c.g got me a mother, she was so beautiful I forgot to cut clones!!! thru her rite in budd and proceded to kill it :yahoo-wave:

It was in a 10 gallon bucket with promix, I took it outside about 4 wks into budd and poured over 20 gallons of water thru her! the water coming out was over 3500ppm and unreadable low ph! I got it down to 1200 ppm and 5.5 ph, I was afraid to put any more water in her lol, she got to 9 wks in budd and i harvested 3 oz's most def should of been 6 or more!

Now im on my 3rd cg brought me 3 clones, their in budd 1 wk today, I ran em about 5 wks in veg.

I pretty much have the same lites tents and t5's 600/400 hps/mh ballast, and I have a 600 watt hps ballast in box still I havent been vegging, these are the first ones ive vegged, my c.g gets em to me ready to budd, im thinking the change in rooms had a lot to do with the slow deaths of the plants, all died like 6 wks into bud the first time, 2nd time i got her to 9 wks, she was an 8 to 10 wk budd,

One of the things you didnt say you did was, Do you put enough water in each plant to get a pretty good amount out? I try to get darn near 1/4 gallon out of each of mine, if it isnt draining from every hole it gets more water, Now thats me, dont know if anyone will agree with that, also I run just ph'd water every 3rd time to flush em out!

Im thinking of getting all 5 gallon or bigger buckets, but i mite stay with the 3.5, I dont want em getting to big, and I wont ever have more than 2 or 3 in budd, I have 1 pt and she lives with me so we dont need to much and I have a c.g just in case lol!

all I can tell ya, on my first run in bubbles, I was checking that shtuff daily, hourly, i was obsessed, im tellin ya I have notes that say what each nute changes in the water 1 gallon to 1 tsp, I usualy mix up 6 gallons at a time, I only use half of it, so i get 2 waterings out of it, than the 3rd time every time i put just water no nutes in em, I put a air pump and a big stone in my res, I go mix it up every day, and ph test it every other, its staying the same now, my house water changes like, enough to drive me crazy! lol

I guess we can learn together, ask 20 people the same question and ya get 20 diff answers! :bong2:

Peace

Jim

Peace

Jim

yeah im using 5 gal pots in my budding tent as u can c i posted a link to my pics let me know if u can c them!!! u have 1 heck of a set up i dont have a big exaust like that 1 i just use the window air unit for fresh air its on all the time.

above under the smileys is a pic click on it and put your direct link of a pic you want to show and it comes out like this below, you dont want people in your whole folder lol!

d3a6041f.jpg

so are the ones with the lines in them dwc?

Peace

Jim

edit= after looking at your whole folder i see that they are deep water culture, I thought you were growin all in dirt? any how even though I quit the dwc, that foam dont look to good, the leaves actualy look like nitrogen burn to me, but I just couldnt tell ya, what are you using and what are the 3 numbers on the front of nute bottle

Im using all general hydroponics nutes, floraMicro # 5-0-1 ar the numbers on the bottle, gh floragro 2-1-6 and flora bloom o-5-4

so that means the flora micro has 5% nitrogen, o phosphate and 1% solubale potash. and the rest fall in line with them, they either have more or less, the 1st number is always nitrogemn 2nd is phosphate, and 3rd is souluble potash, and when I add the cal mag it also adds nitrogen, so im pretty sure mine is to much nitrogen, I keep my ph between 5.5 and 6.2, ph is very important, you have to have the right ph, so read your solutions check the amounts that are getting to much of, in your opinion and go from there,

the dwc can be drained and put some only ph'd water in it for a day or 2 max, than have nutes ready to put back in, what color is that tote, ya gotta make sure the light cant get thru the tote to the roots, I dont use anything for my roots, I never seem to have a problem with my roots, I only use clonex to start roots on clones i cut! growin in dwc you need to have an ebb n flow or similar, it should be putting water in and taking it out a few times a day, coming out of one res and back into another, you can reuse it if the ppms are not to high and just ph it!

If your happy with your dirt plants, ( they look pretty nice to me) go with that grow medium, I found it to difficult to keep my ppm and ph rite in dwc, I got 2 of everything so I could just bring another tote the same size into room and just take the top of the old one and put it right on the new one, I didnt get far enough into it before I changed over to promix, pro mis defenetly can take a good flushing and not lock up your roots, now when I use the micro grow (base) in that gh nute mix its a 3 part syste, you have to mix the flora micro first and than add the others, Im thinkin its locking up my nutes, so im not using it any longer, id like to change over to some easier nute mix, shoot im ready for miracle grow NOT! lol!

check the numbers on your nutes, give that tote some ph'd water only for a day or 2 see what happens, than check your nutes out and maybe cut back on your nitrogen and what ever else you may think is more than needed, 3tsp is a half oz, I use a syringe with measure ments to add my nutes, so if im mixing up 6 gallons and the nute calls for 1tsp per gallon I need 1 oz of nutes to 6 gallons!

Peace

Jim

p.s take your photo bucket link off when you figure out to do just pics, at the top of this postin box there is 2 bars top one has the smileys on it where you can open them at bottom of box, under that is a picture frame, just put the direct link to that pick in the spot your supposed to when you click the image box above press ok and the pic is in your post and we cant get to all of your pics, better safe than sorry, im gonna edit my reply to that one so the link is not in my post!

my c.g will bring em to me all grown and ready to dry like the one below, i got 6 zips from this blue widow, or he brings em to me ready to budd or clones which ever i choose!

100_0243.jpg

budds like this from that lil 3 ft plant!

100_0342.jpg

100_0701.jpg

Edited by phaquetoo

well the veg tent i thought about the DWC i guess thats what im doin but i really wana stick with dirt or coco i never used coco before but yeah i dont like the water/DWC i heard u get bigger yeild an more potant but im famillar with dirt i probably shouldnt've done DWC i wonder if i can pull them an or from the tote an plant them into dirt i just dont have the dirt alittle short this month i can get more info when i go into my room tonight i can write down what im using an how much i keep a log myself not such a good one but i do u mentioned that u thought i was growing in dirt the bud tent is all dirt an the veg tent has got 2 that are in dirt. by the pics do u think its to late if i can come up with the funds for dirt i can plant them?? take them out of the water the tote an the 2 gray buckets are DWC i guess just air pumping through the tote color is gray the lid is green no light gets through. i dont know if i posted the link right but i did take it off the post but ill have more info later tonight. my kids want me told me to get off the computer so chat soon!

p.s thanks for the info u have shared so far. i feel i have to get things right or perfect or it will be a waste of time here in about 4 years we can grow out side!