Brain Scans Show How Marijuana Relieves Pain

Researchers from University of Oxford have found that cannabis relieves pain by making it more bearable, rather than actually reducing it. Researchers say that some people might benefit more from using cannabis as a pain reliever due to certain small changes in their brains.

Read more at http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/13617/20121222/brain-scans-show-marijuana-relieves-pain.htm#S1m02du41W4FJwmV.99

Thanks for that article. The flaw in the study, very well pointed out in the comments to the article, is that the research was done on THC, not cannabis. While interesting to know how the THC works, I think that overlooking CBD among others is a big mistake when looking for pain relief.

I sort of find different forms of pain relief from the two main types of cannabis. Sativa dominant strains seem to distract or sort of occupy my brain helping with lower level pain.

When the pain level gets higher, I find the Indica dominant strains more effective. They seem to turn down the volume on the pain signals. ( Just like Sibannac lol )

When someone asked me how marijuana helps me with pain, the only explanation I could come up with is that it makes me "forget" about the pain. I become more interested in things going on around me to the point that my pain takes a back seat to the other "more important" things going on. Or, the marijuana makes my pain level decrease to the point that I can pay more attention to the things going on around me.

The "mind/body connection" and marijuana research have a lot of fertile ground for researchers to delve into. I think it could be one of the 21st century's most important research topics - and I wish they would get things rolling.

honestly CC

i think it is rolling...

America is falling behind in the "curve"

the problem as i see it is other countries are gaining the research and development edge. many other countries are doing full value surveys and "government sponsored" level research. lot's of great research resulting in so many new pharmaceutical products finding "the light of consumerism"

if we are to stop pretending as a nation....

if we want to continue to stay a world leader...

our own government needs to wake up and "Smell the cure"

lets get beyond the government red-tape... and lets get full on into research and development.

as a community we need freedom to perform studies...

ones with reproducible results because we have the freedom to complete the scientific research and data collection without fear of reprisals from our own founding authority. (government)

i think we as a country collectively are falling behind the curve as it pertains to cannabis research and development...

and that bites...

we need to set the curve.. not get buried under the angles...