Historic Day For Legal Cannabis

greenbuddha

Legislature Gives Final Approval To Historic Bills Posted by CN Staff on May 08, 2013 at 14:44:40 PT

By John Ingold, The Denver Post

Source: Denver Post

cannabisicon.gif Colorado -- The Colorado legislature made history on Wednesday, becoming the first state legislature in the country to pass laws regulating recreational marijuana sales and use. Wednesday morning, the state Senate approved two measures on taxes for marijuana and on rules for marijuana stores. The House later agreed with changes made in the Senate and sent the bills to Gov. John Hickenlooper, who is expected to sign them.

The votes came six months and two days after Colorado voters approved Amendment 64, which legalized limited marijuana possession and sales for those 21 and older and launched the regulatory effort that led to the bills.

Marijuana Advocates

State Sen. Mark Scheffe hailed the legislature's votes as momentous.

"The passage of these bills marks a major milestone toward the creation of the world's first legal, regulated, and taxed marijuana market for adults," said Christian Sederberg, one of Amendment 64's authors.

Several lawmakers, though, reacted to the votes with greater trepidation.

Sen. Mark Scheffel, R-Parker, said he has reservations about a system of more open and legal access to marijuana — especially about what it will mean for kids — but felt compelled to support the bills.

"This is a true game-changer for our state," Scheffel said. "And so I think it is important that we do our best to implement the right regulatory environment and fund it."

Rep. Bob Gardner, R-Colorado Springs, expressed the same sentiment when speaking about the bill regulating marijuana stores, House Bill 1317.

"We do need to do something," Gardner said. "And that something is House Bill 1317."

Snipped

Complete Article: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_23198163/

Source: Denver Post (CO)

Author: John Ingold, The Denver Post

Published: May 8, 2013

Copyright: 2013 The Denver Post

CannabisNews -- Cannabis Archives

http://cannabisnews.com/news/list/cannabis.shtml

Home Comment Email Register Recent Comments Help facebook.gif stumble.gif diggit.gif reddit.gif delicious.gif

except i heard colorado legislators have been doing some nasty secret things like trying to repeal ammendment 64.

the war in colorado isnt over yet.

They didn't get the BS interference legislation done in time, and if they bring it up again, it will have to be in next year's sessions, unless I misread the latest info.

But even so, the Colorado legislators have passed into state law for the first time, a system for 'taxing and 'selling' cannabis / marijuana for 'recreational use', and THAT is an historical FIRST.

Other states will follow... just a short matter of time.

And hell, one of those states just might be MICHIGAN... heh? Whadya think?

They didn't get the BS interference legislation done in time, and if they bring it up again, it will have to be in next year's sessions, unless I misread the latest info.

But even so, the Colorado legislators have passed into state law for the first time, a system for 'taxing and 'selling' cannabis / marijuana for 'recreational use', and THAT is an historical FIRST.

Other states will follow... just a short matter of time.

And hell, one of those states just might be MICHIGAN... heh? Whadya think?

I can't imagine it at this point. Given the attitude of the Republican majority, I think there will be a real fight against legalization.