Patient Evaluations ?

Kingdiamond

OK I went to talk to a new patient and get his change form completed he just left his clinic and they gave him paperwork to mail into Lansing my question is do I have to mail the caregiver change form along with his most recent recommendation eval or am I OK to send in the change form with my caregiver attestation by itself and he sends in his paperwork separately?

Ohhhh He has his card. Just send the change form like you normally would. I do not know what paperwork the patient is sending the State now but it should not be necessary, but yea just proceed as you would simply adding you as the caregiver.

I was told by my new clinic in AA that the state requires 6 month evaluations you haven't heard this?

Not sure.. If things are different for a CG.. But I just saw my new Dr. for my cert.. and didn't have to send anything out the of the norm in to the state..

Maybe 6 months notes for Dr/Pt records. for the Dr.'s end not the states.?

Not sure.. If things are different for a CG.. But I just saw my new Dr. for my cert.. and didn't have to send anything out the of the norm in to the state..

Maybe 6 months notes for Dr/Pt records. for the Dr.'s end not the states.?

Maybe Dr Bob has an answer for us 'Paging Dr Bob"!

I would believe it would be for your medical records with said dr.  As far as I am aware the state does not want anything besides the original application and any change forms necessary. Having the records with the dr. is a good thing to have on record but do not know how the state would react to receiving them. I would at least send the change form seperately from that followup paperwork, that way at least the other paperwork will not interfere with your change form.

Sorry, been pretty busy.  Not been on much.

Ok to answer your question....

1.  A pt with an existing card will need a caregiver change form.  There is a link to one on my website, or just download it from the state.  The fee is $10.

2.  There is no requirement for follow ups every six months.  We don't charge for our follow ups, but I've heard many of the $69 clinics do require frequent $39 follow up visits.  Just a little trick to get you in and then bill you again and again. 

The law requires a 'reasonable' expectation that the doctor will be available for and provide follow up care.

In my practice, I recommend you come in for a free follow up at any of my 10 offices in 6-12 months to update your records.  That meets MY requirement for the bona fide dr/pt relation.  I have a reasonable expectation that a patient will come in for a free follow up at a fixed clinic to protect themselves in a section 8 hearing (that follow up on the chart is important when you are trying to defend yourself).  It is up to the patient to follow through and actually come in.  Some don't care and don't think they will need it, and may be right, but others do make it a point because THEY are the ones at risk of going to jail and want to do everything they can to protect themselves.  

It is similar to me dropping a dollar at your feet.  It is up to you to bend down and pick it up, but I put it there in case you did.

Dr. Bob

OK I went to talk to a new patient and get his change form completed he just left his clinic and they gave him paperwork to mail into Lansing my question is do I have to mail the caregiver change form along with his most recent recommendation eval or am I OK to send in the change form with my caregiver attestation by itself and he sends in his paperwork separately?

I've always considered that the primary responsibility falls on the pt to get all the necessary docs to Lansing. Copies of all should be kept by both parties. As an experienced cg, it is in your best interest to follow up to ensure that all necessary docs are filed.

Well problem is the very first person I was going to grow for said they sent the paperwork in 6 months later nothing back from the state comes to find out they lost the paperwork and never told me putting me at risk at first but since I signed on 2 others same time I was never over my plant count but I prefer to do mailings on my own to ensure they make it to Lansing .

Well problem is the very first person I was going to grow for said they sent the paperwork in 6 months later nothing back from the state comes to find out they lost the paperwork and never told me putting me at risk at first but since I signed on 2 others same time I was never over my plant count but I prefer to do mailings on my own to ensure they make it to Lansing .

Did you have copies of all necessary documents?

Did you have copies of all necessary documents?

To my knowledge since he already has a valid card what I did was just send in the caregiver change form the same process was done with  the other 3 patients currently signed with me before I sent in the paperwork I saw his card.

I've always considered that the primary responsibility falls on the pt to get all the necessary docs to Lansing. Copies of all should be kept by both parties. As an experienced cg, it is in your best interest to follow up to ensure that all necessary docs are filed.

You kinda contradict your self on this one, but its my opinion if you are going to be the pt's c.g it is in yours and the pt's best interest to sit down with them and fill out the paper work once pt gets their rec!  Most c.g's I know would much rather do it than count on the pt to get it right. and they usualy pay the 10 dollar fee, but that is niether her nor there!

Peace

Jim

No contradiction here Jim. There are different ways to ensure proper mailing. What you recommend is not outside the follow up mentioned. Treating pts as stupid children ain't my style. You might be surprised to find that there are smart, responsible adults out there who have every ability to take care of the matter. Payment of the fee by the cg may be your experience, but to say that it is prevalent outside your sphere is not assured, nor in my opinion likely.

Edited by GregS

No contradiction here Jim. There are different ways to ensure proper mailing. What you recommend is not outside the follow up mentioned. Treating pts as stupid children ain't my style. You might be surprised to find that there are smart, responsible adults out there who have every ability to take care of the matter. Payment of the fee by the cg may be your experience, but to say that it is prevalent outside your sphere is not assured, nor in my opinion likely.

I agree with your reasoning.  Trust but verify is a very good way of doing business.  If you want the patients to do the paperwork, and they want to be your patients, that is the way it is.  It is your tail, and if you want to verify and get copies they did the paperwork correctly and sent it in, that is very prudent.  I am dealing with someone right now that was arrested because the patient didn't send in the paperwork as they claimed they did, and she didn't get proof they were sent.

Dr. Bob

I agree with your reasoning.  Trust but verify is a very good way of doing business.  If you want the patients to do the paperwork, and they want to be your patients, that is the way it is.  It is your tail, and if you want to verify and get copies they did the paperwork correctly and sent it in, that is very prudent.  I am dealing with someone right now that was arrested because the patient didn't send in the paperwork as they claimed they did, and she didn't get proof they were sent.

Dr. Bob

Again, for about a dollar you can have proof that it was sent. Copies of all documents should be kept by all parties. This is very simple. Not all of us are that stupid and are offended that anyone would consider that we are. Dumbazz is as dumbazz does.

Edited by GregS