Swat Team Raids Home Of Libertarian Activist Adam Kokesh, Arrests Him On Drug And Gun Charges

A local SWAT team working with the U.S. Park Police raided the Herndon, Va. home of libertarian activist Adam Kokesh shortly before 8 p.m. last night. Kokesh was arrested and "charged with possession of schedule I or II drugs while in possession of a firearm,"according to the Washington Post(The drug: psilocybin mushrooms.)

The raid--which a Kokesh roommate says involved a SWAT team knocking in Kokesh's front door then tossing a flashbang into the foyer--likely resulted from a video that shows Kokesh loading a shotgun in Freedom Square in D.C. on July 4th, in violation of D.C. law (I say "likely" because the U.S. Park Police has yet to confirm the video's role in Kokesh's arrest).

Kokesh had originally promised to lead a group of armed gun-owners across the Memorial Bridge from Virginia into D.C. When the Metropolitan Police Department promised to meet him on the D.C. side and arrest anyone violating D.C.'s gun laws, Kokesh backed down. Hence the early morning shotgun-loading video he filmed in Freedom Square. The video, titled, "

," concludes with Kokesh saying, "We are the final American Revolution. See you next Independence Day." 

A statement posted on Kokesh's website, Adam Vs The Man, describes the raid thusly:

KokeshFrontDoor.jpg?h=300&w=225

Adam Kokesh Facebook page
On the evening of Tuesday, 09JUL13, at approximately 7:45 PM, a combination of US Parks Police (an arm of the DHS) raided Adam Kokesh’s residence. Local Herndon police assisted in the armed invasion. The officers used a battering ram to knock in the door after two knocks, and did not announce that they had a warrant. Immediately after breaking down the door, a flash bang grenade was deployed in the foyer.

Numerous police vehicles, including a light armored vehicle and two low-flying helicopters barricaded Adam’s street. More than 20 armored SWAT team members surrounded the house, as well as a number of detectives, and plainclothes officers. Assault rifles were aimed on all members of the team as they were handcuffed without being told why they were detained. Masked and armored police in full “Storm Trooper” gear flooded in and ransacked the residence. The team was cordoned in a front room, while Adam was pulled aside for questioning.

Over the course of the next five hours, the police searched every corner of the house with canine units and blueprints to the house obtained prior to the search. All officers refused to speak to the crew while they we being detained. They confiscated cell phones and personal items with force. Throughout the ordeal, the police repeatedly showed a volatile desire to initiate aggressive, forceful conduct with detainees. At one point, Adam politely requested to use the restroom and was kicked by the officer forcing him to sit handcuffed on the floor. After hours of determined attempts, the safe was forced open and all items inside were confiscated. Adam was arrested and his crew were told he was being brought to the Herndon Police department overnight. Well after midnight, police officers cleared the house.

"Kokesh refused to be fingerprinted or arraigned, or to speak with court officials on Wednesday morning," the Post reports. He'll be arraigned tomorrow morning.

This guy tried to organize an armed march in Washington DC and when he was told it was illegal, he went and filmed a video of himself in DC loading a gun.  He was known to keep large amounts of weapons at his residence. I'm not going to say the government was right, but if you were LEO and had to arrest him, how would you have handled it?

Also, remember this guy was calling for the violent overthrow of the government.  He was asking people to march on their state capitols with guns and demand change.

....and who would be stupid enough to keep drugs in their house after blatantly breaking the law like he did?  He had to guess they would come after him.

Funny how police can intimidate us all with their guns, w arrest, w incarceration, w the court system and w financial devastation. But citizens must fall in line and walk their walk.

The gun ho attitude -in general- of the police has become over the top to justify their jobs and budgets. Just last night I was informed about a somewhat recent raid that had 3 dozen state police, with automatic rifles, to shake down a few patients (early 20's) that were living together in Holt. Now we'll never hear about this because the victims of these police are too poor (too intimidated) to really properly file a grievance or sustain a wrongful-doing lawsuit. These patients were all legal, had been growing but Not at the time and only 1/2 oz of medicine was recovered during the fiasco. What a joke!

I have videos of myself flying like superman around the world. I hope they do not think I am a witch and burn me at the stake....

Intimidate and suppress those who speak out against you.  

Well that's not illegal.  Having a loaded gun in Freedom Plaza in Washington DC is. See the difference?

The guy actually posted full facial video of himself breaking the law and then posted it on the internet, bragging to everyone to look at.  I mean. how stupid can you get 

Funny how police can intimidate us all with their guns, w arrest, w incarceration, w the court system and w financial devastation. But citizens must fall in line and walk their walk.

The gun ho attitude -in general- of the police has become over the top to justify their jobs and budgets. Just last night I was informed about a somewhat recent raid that had 3 dozen state police, with automatic rifles, to shake down a few patients (early 20's) that were living together in Holt. Now we'll never hear about this because the victims of these police are too poor (too intimidated) to really properly file a grievance or sustain a wrongful-doing lawsuit. These patients were all legal, had been growing but Not at the time and only 1/2 oz of medicine was recovered during the fiasco. What a joke!

That really sucks!  I mean. totally sucks!

Kokesh is a far cry from that though.  He was known to be heavily armed and to make revolutionary and treasonous and anti-establishment statements.  If I was the person that had to go in to arrest him, I'd be heavily armed too.  How about you?

I gotta agree with celli on this one. If I was the one going in after someone like that I would cover my donkey too......... I do not agree with alot that the Government and the System do but when you cross the Government you pay..... Right or wrong that is a fact.

Edited to add....... Of course I didnt say donkey SMH........

Edited by ozzrokk

It really is crazy. I am so sick of hearing this happening to patients........ or anyone over a little marijuana......... They just cannot or will not let go......

The gun ho attitude -in general- of the police has become over the top to justify their jobs and budgets. Just last night I was informed about a somewhat recent raid that had 3 dozen state police, with automatic rifles, to shake down a few patients (early 20's) that were living together in Holt.

From the police perspective, the idea is that the 'criminal' gives up immediately and does not try to fight the police.  He is outgunned by such a large amount, that it is hopeless to fight.  If only one or two officers came to make the arrest, a desperate criminal might think he has a chance in a gunfight and start shooting.

If you've ever watched 'Cops' during a home police raid, you know why they use overwhelming force in raids against indoor cannabis growers.  The police captain wants to give his SWAT team practice for when they face a real dangerous situation.  I am certain that the police are well aware that cannabis growers are rarely violent when confronted but they pull out all of the military weaponry just the same.  The problem is that in 'live fire exercises', accidents happen. 

Once growing cannabis became legal in Michigan, Schuette should have released new state guidelines as to how to approach a suspected grow operation but instead he prefers his state funded terrorism against growers.  It discourages people from participating in the program, qualified or not.

It discourages people from participating in the program, qualified or not

i agree it sure does and thats what they want but we must keep pushing to get more Patients to sign up because we our only strong in numbers 

Back when this State had a medical marihuana program  in 1980 or 82 we lost it  because not enough people were  signing up and had to Waite almost 30 years to get this one 

That is why i keep saying we have to keep fighting for what we have today as we can see the State is and has been building their case against this Law from the first day that a judge or someone woke-up (witch was our case) mho i still remember the first day we went to Court and are Lawyers  told the Judge this is a medical marihuana case and the Judge said.

"THEIR WILL BE NO MEDICAL MARIHUANA IN MY TOWN!

And the ACLU Lawyers and Rob Mullen and Matt abel looked like they where going to fall over and then ask to approach the bench and gave the Judge a copy of the new Law to read because he didn't know that their was a new Law  and then told me that we are going to get this Judge removed if it doesn't go our way because of what he said 

It discourages people from participating in the program, qualified or not

i agree it sure does and thats what they want but we must keep pushing to get more Patients to sign up because we our only strong in numbers 

Back when this State had a medical marihuana program  in 1980 or 82 we lost it  because not enough people were  signing up and had to Waite almost 30 years to get this one 

That is why i keep saying we have to keep fighting for what we have today as we can see the State is and has been building their case against this Law from the first day that a judge or someone woke-up (witch was our case) mho i still remember the first day we went to Court and are Lawyers  told the Judge this is a medical marihuana case and the Judge said.

"THEIR WILL BE NO MEDICAL MARIHUANA IN MY TOWN!

And the ACLU Lawyers and Rob Mullen and Matt abel looked like they where going to fall over and then ask to approach the bench and gave the Judge a copy of the new Law to read because he didn't know that their was a new Law  and then told me that we are going to get this Judge removed if it doesn't go our way because of what he said 

The numbers dont mean as much if we dont stand together.

The numbers dont mean as much if we dont stand together.

Back when this State had a medical marihuana program  in 1980 or 82 we lost it  because not enough people were  signing up

Bob:  first I ever heard about it, are you sure on this?

Anybody else know about the 'old' mmmp program?

Before discussing the current state of medical marijuana in Michigan, I think it's important to understand the history of medical marijuana politics in Michigan. In 1979 Michigan joined 14 other states when a medical marijuana bill was passed allowing glaucoma and cancer patients with prescriptions from specifically licensed physicians to receive marijuana for their condition. The marijuana was to be provided by a federal source, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a branch of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), itself a part of the US Department of Health and Human Services. This quickly became a problem because the marijuana provided was not nearly enough to fulfill the patients needs, in 1980 Michigan was reported to be 500,000 "marijuana cigarettes" short of demand, and most of the marijuana provided was of very low quality, consistently falling short of the %2 THC content stipulated in Michigan's Cancer IND. As a matter of fact, in one case inspected marijuana was four years old, well beyond it's natural expiration date.

The 1979 bill contained a sunset clause for November 1982 that was later extended to 1987 where the program ended. By this time, very little support remained for the program within and without the medical marijuana community as those who were in need of medical marijuana were obtaining it from illegal sources because of NIDA's failure to provide the medicine they needed. In 2008, the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act was passed, a bill that purposely avoided the 1979 Act's problems by creating a system where many caregivers can grow 12 marijuana plants each for 5 patients anywhere in an enclosed, locked facility. This, of course, could include growing on the caregiver's property which I understand to be a common practice. This allows Michigan caretakers who have experience with growing quality marijuana to provide medical marijuana to qualifying patients, solving both the quantity and quality problems of the 1979 act.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=211715