Usps Sharing Change Of Address Info With State? Legal?

shredder0911

I was informed today that Fl. was made aware when I submitted a change of address form to the USPS, which affects my homestead exemption there. I also believe the USPS says in the adfomercials that they are not affiliated with the government, or at least run on tax dollars.

Was anyone here aware that the USPS can and likely will do this in Mi. also?

Prior to moving I tried to confirm how my exemption would be affected, but failed to get anyone who would answer their phones who could or would answer this question.

Is legal for the USPS (reportedly non-gov't) to share my personal change of adress info with the state? In other words, isn't this a violation of my right to privacy?

Thanks,

USPS is a governmental agency, always has been.  It is supposed to be a " semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit."  Even at that, it is still a federal agency.

It was tax supported up until like 1971.  So regardless if they are not supposed to be run on tax dollars, doesn't mean they aren't a gov't agency.

And as far as a rights violation, no, its all in the government, and unless they specifically told you they would not share information, they can.  They were sharing your residence, nothing that is protected by HIPPAA, FERPA, or any of those other privacy acts.

And then you can ask, why are you trying to take an illegal tax break by claiming homestead on a property you aren't living at...  I digress.

Thanks for input, but I am NOT taking an illegal tax break. I am wondering what will happen when I submit a change from Mi to Fl, so I can go check on my place, and what happens if I happen to be there on Jan 1.

s a governmental agency, always has been.  It is supposed to be a " semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit."  Even at that, it is still a federal agency.

It was tax supported up until like 1971.  So regardless if they are not supposed to be run on tax dollars, doesn't mean they aren't a gov't agency.

And as far as a rights violation, no, its all in the government, and unless they specifically told you they would not share information, they can.  They were sharing your residence, nothing that is protected by HIPPAA, FERPA, or any of those other privacy acts.

And then you can ask, why are you trying to take an illegal tax break by claiming homestead on a property you aren't living at...  I digress.

The USPS is an independent department of the executive branch of government.  The employees of the USPS are employees of the "government", although they do have contractors as well.

Here is the privacy policy regarding change of address:

The information you supply will be used to provide you with the requested mail forwarding and related services. Please be aware that this service is voluntary, and that requested information is required to provide the service. Collection of information for this service is authorized by 39 U.S.C. §403 and 404. We do not disclose your personal information to anyone, except in accordance with the Privacy Act. Authorized disclosures include limited circumstances such as the following: (a) to other government agencies or bodies: when relevant to a decision concerning employment, security clearances, security or suitability investigations, contracts, licenses, grants or benefits; for law enforcement purposes; for voter registration purposes; for jury service duties; and at your request; (b) legal proceedings: in a  proceeding in which the USPS is a party or has an interest; or for the service of legal process; © to a congressional office at your request; (d) to contractors if the disclosure is necessary to fulfill an agency function; or (e) to mailers, if already in possession of your name and old mailing address, as an address correction service. Information will also be provided to licensed service providers of the USPS to perform mailing list correction service of lists containing your name and old address.

There is a whole list of service providers at this web address that they share the info with, under the above policy.

http://ribbs.usps.gov/ncoalink/documents/tech_guides/CERTIFIED_LICENSEES

Edited by northerngal