Renewing For 2014

Trist

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew if the law has changed concerning how many times a patient must see a doctor to be prescibed mmp. I am a care giver by which i mean I provide for one person in my family. I had them apporch me recently asking me to find out if the law has change followed by them telling me they think you must have be established with the doc to get your mmp renewal and the meaning of established wasn't clear on their end either. they guessed it being maybe 5 vists proir or something to have the establishment with said doc to get a renewal, I will admit as i look around the forums i can't find anything like she was talking about but I thought id ask because she was concerned and I know last year our renewal had a couple months of time where neither of us had a hard card which was not fun for her to say the least.

there is no requirement for the number of times a person must see a doctor to establish a medical records that provide enough data to support your request to utilize cannabis to alleviate the symptoms of your condition.

there is a requirement that you provide medical records to substantiate you or your family members condition prior to being certified.

there is also a new requirement that the doctor that certifies you is willing to provide follow up care.  you should follow up with your certification doctor at least annually if not semi annually to report how the cannabis is helping your conditions.

dr bob can chime in on this better

The answer is ONCE, when you are certified.  Under the law the Dr. must have a 'reasonable expectation' they will be able to give follow up care.  In my practice I do that by offering free follow up at any of my 8 offices and 20+ travel clinics.  We have an electronic medical record, so I can add a follow up note to your chart from anywhere with internet access or scan it in later.

The key is not number of times you see the doctor, it is the documentation.  You must have a documented condition in your medical record showing you are seeking care for the condition by which you are requesting special permission to use a schedule 1 controlled substance.  There are ways to do it without medical records that should pass muster, but they involve multiple visits, diagnostic testing, and the doctor assuming responsibility for the care of that condition.  

You cannot go in once, fill out a paper saying you have back pain, and get a cert from ANY reputable clinic.  I know there are clinics that offer 'quick and easy' certs with no records or through the mail.  The only reason they get away with that is that the AG hasn't tracked them down and prosecuted them.  I would not want to be a defendant in court with them being the only thing standing between me and a cell.  Don't be a test case.

Dr. Bob

The person I provide care for is home bound in a wheel chair and has a host of other documented health issues from levoscoliosis currently on top of "server stenosis" quoting the last surgeon I spoke with after her last back surgery, She also has a number of GI issues ranging from glutten intolerance to many other things and on top of that she has older documentation of hep C followed by renal failure. I am no doctor but I do think she has documents for being ill some are much more current like the back stuff but that is because its whats being addressed currently to save her life anyway My real question I would pose then is she has already had her mmp card for 3 years with me being her care taker for 2 of them, we have the paper work to show she meets the michigan guide lines for getting on the mmp program and she has already been on it as i said, I just simply wanted to know if like most other years I could just call a place to bring in her paperwork and her for one visit for getting her annual re-certification as I have been doing for the last couple years.

So I'm looking at spending another 170 dollars just to renew my card.. most people can't afford that.. I was certified with a caregiver witch I lost shorty after I got the card as he fell off the map... so my renewel will be me as a caregiver for my self...

Afford it or not, that is what the law requires.  There is a difference between free will and free beer.  If you want special permission to use a schedule 1 controlled substance, you have to follow the rules they set up with a smile.  You can smile because even though it costs you money (though in reality only a tiny fraction of the cost of meds, a grow room, etc) you get access to this wonderful medication and some legal protection.  It is money well spent to do it right.

Dr. Bob

PS, if you want to trade places, drive 6000 miles a month, take hundreds of calls for help a month, go to medical school to get the qualifications, etc by all means do so.  I have a job for you and could use the break and more time with my family.

Well dr bob wasn't out for your job just the right info on what my next move is and after creating this thread I still yet to get a good answer... I guess I should of asked the question.. do I have to go to ann arbor again like last year to the clinic and then send the state another 100??????????

Well dr bob wasn't out for your job just the right info on what my next move is and after creating this thread I still yet to get a good answer... I guess I should of asked the question.. do I have to go to ann arbor again like last year to the clinic and then send the state another 100??????????

If your card is going to expire, then the answer is YES.

You need a doctors recommendation before sending your application to the state.  EVERYTIME you renew with the state you will need a new doctors recommendation. 

Does that answer your question?  If not, please explain further :)