Auto Dimming Ballasts

peacefulfield

Hey I've been wondering if anyone has tried or thought about using Auto Dimming Ballasts of any sort? From what I understand they are programed to automatically start out ON 50% - 75% - 100% - 75% - 50% OFF.. They mimic the sun and save energy. I manually start off at 50% dim then go to 100% after about 4 hours. If you slowly ramp up your wattage you save on your instant power demand on your bill. I've learned about this in a green energy class I took years back...  Also does anyone use multiple timers in on off zones?  

Edited by peacefulfield

Running a 1000w bulb at 50% power is not good for the bulb.  I use dimmable ballasts.  If I'm gonna run on 600w mode, I change the bulb to a 600w. 

Until a bulb manufacturer claims it's bulbs can handle digital, dimmable voltage ballats, I will not use them as such. 

Very cool idea though.  Do they make these auto dimmable lights that you speak of?

http://cnwaho.en.made-in-china.com/product/obdmzPLWfSUO/China-HPS-1000W-Dimmable-Grow-Light-Ballast-with-Auto-Dimming-Knob-Dimming-0-10V-PWM-Dimming.html

Here is one of them. My local grow store has one not sure what the name was.. I will update it when I'm their next. But this technology is real popular with dimmable florescent lighting with light sensors at airports/malls & such.. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have 4 lights, and turn them on and off in a rotation.  Start with 2, kitty corner, then an hour or so later the others come on...  at lights out, the first 2 that came on go out, then a little while later the others.

I did it as my AC seemed to work better, not having all 4000W creating 14000 BTU all at once, but rather 7000BTU ramping up to 14K.  Kept my temps more in order and lowered my spikes in temp and humidity.