Ferndale Pot Decriminalization Organizer Sentenced To Probation

An Oak Park man who gathered enough signatures to get marijuana decriminalization on the ballot in Ferndale, where voters approved the proposal last year, was sentenced to probation Tuesday for violating election law.

Andrew Cissell, 26, was found guilty of a misdemeanor for using a false address on the petitions he turned in to the Ferndale city clerk to get the proposal on last November’s ballot.

Cissell still faces trial next month before Oakland County Circuit Judge Rudy Nichols on several counts of illegal delivery and manufacture of marijuana.

He is also running in the August primary election as a Democratic candidate for state representative for the 27th District, which includes Royal Oak Township, Huntington Woods, Berkley, Ferndale, Oak Park and Pleasant Ridge.

http://www.macombdaily.com/general-news/20140408/ferndale-pot-decriminalization-organizer-sentenced-to-probation

Though a jury found Cissell guilty of violating a Ferndale City Charter requirement requiring that anyone initiating a petition drive has to live in the city, the case was tried before Hazel Park 43rd District Judge Charles Goedert.

The jury found Cissell was living at a house he owned in Oak Park, rather than at his father’s house in Ferndale as he claimed on his petition paperwork.

Goedert on Tuesday sentenced Cissell to 18 months’ probation and ordered him to pay $1,855 in fines and costs.

While on probation Cissell, is prohibited from leaving the state or using alcohol or drugs. He also has to do 200 hours of community service and attend counseling classes on decision making.

If he violates the terms of his probation, Cissell faces 75 days in jail.

“I think the sentence was a little excessive,” he said. “But it was not completely unfair.”

Cissell’s conviction on the election law violation had no effect on the pot decriminalization ordinance that voters overwhelmingly passed in Ferndale.

Though he still faces felony marijuana charges, Cissell said he is currently collecting petition signatures to get a pot decriminalization measure on the ballot in Oak Park.

He is working with a pot legalization organization called Safer Michigan, which last year organized the state campaign to pass marijuana decriminalization measures in Lansing, Jackson and Ferndale.

The group’s co-founder, Tim Beck, has said Safer Michigan wants to get similar decriminalization proposals on ballots in Oak Park, Hazel Park, Utica, Port Huron, Mount Pleasant, East Lansing and possibly other cities.

Cissell said his state representative candidacy is part of the marijuana legalization movement in Michigan.

“I would really like to beat” the felony marijuana case, he said. “But even if I’m in jail I’m going to be on the ballot in the August primary

Edited by bobandtorey

I would really like to beat” the felony marijuana case 

i'am sure you would i hope he knows the battle that he will be facing in Oakland  County Court  system  and has the money for a good Lawyer that knows the Law

Good luck Mr, Cissell

Edited by bobandtorey