Gray Areas Shade Marijuana Law

Laura Rigby wants fewer limits on pot in Port Huron.

As a medical marijuana patient, Rigby can possess no more than two and a half ounces of usable marijuana and no more than 12 marijuana plants in a locked enclosure.

But Rigby wants more for the city. She was collecting signatures Thursday for a ballot initiative that would make it legal for people 21 and older in the city to possess less than an ounce of recreational pot.

As some marijuana advocates push for more liberties, officials are working to enforce the current limits with what they say is a patchy law that leads to misuse and abuse.

“As time has gone on, it’s gotten a little bit easier, but it is still an extremely difficult and vague law to follow, which causes police officers, prosecutors and courts headaches every day,” St. Clair County Prosecutor Mike Wendling said.

Wendling said, in his opinion, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act already has extended marijuana to more people than it was ever intended to reach.

He said medical marijuana was sold to voters in 2008 to help those with terminal cancer or sicknesses without access to other viable treatments. But the vague wording of the law has permitted marijuana usage in a broader community, he said.

“What it’s become now is really, for a lot of people, a recreational drug that is portrayed as a medication,” Wendling said. “The people that I’ve seen come through the court system are not the people that this constitutional amendment or legislation were intended for.”

According to data from the state Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, about 2.63 percent of Michigan medical marijuana patients in 2013 listed cancer as the debilitating condition that qualified them for medical marijuana. About 1.03 percent listed glaucoma as their debilitating condition.

Most medical marijuana patients — about 68.44 percent — use it for severe and chronic pain.

People with severe and chronic pain have been the majority users since 2011.

Wendling said the law has been improved and clarified since it was implemented, but only marginally. Medical marijuana quantities, use, transport, and enclosure specifics are some of the clarifications made since the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act’s implementation.

read more here

I bet many people with disease don't inform the state when they seek alternative treatments. Just look at how the establishment speaks of these ancient cures from our own earth. It seems they believe "only a pharmaceutical patented drug is able to treat or cure a disease", a ridiculous notion I think. disease was cured a millennium ago without the use of patents, state registrations, or prosecution/persecution.....well, there was this one guy I read about....... :angel:   

Our earth most likely contains everything necessary to be dis-ease free, at least until the next acre of sacred plants is destroyed sadly.

I bet many people with disease don't inform the state when they seek alternative treatments. Just look at how the establishment speaks of these ancient cures from our own earth. It seems they believe "only a pharmaceutical patented drug is able to treat or cure a disease", a ridiculous notion I think. disease was cured a millennium ago without the use of patents, state registrations, or prosecution/persecution.....well, there was this one guy I read about....... :angel:   

Our earth most likely contains everything necessary to be dis-ease free, at least until the next acre of sacred plants is destroyed sadly.

And we agree its just to bad that some of the sick are just to scared to grow cannabis even if the Law say's they can because it only takes one raid on someones home in the middle of night 

to make someone stop growing

True^^ and that it's illegal to supply those sick patients while they are not registered in the system. If I didn't know any better I'd say this may look like an all out attack on the most sick among us. buy, that would be a scary thought. think we'd all lay down and take that too, like history indicates ?

peace

And we agree its just to bad that some of the sick are just to scared to grow cannabis even if the Law say's they can because it only takes one raid on someones home in the middle of night 

to make someone stop growing