Fibromyalgia

I have had fibromyalgia for years was officially diagnosed around 2004. I tried lyrics, gained 40 lbs. I smoked marijuana for years for pleasure back then. Quit smoking 10 years ago. I can't take narcotics nausea vomiting allergic reactions and do not want them. I worked in the medical field for 30 years and it was taboo to be a pot smoker. Anyway I am fortunate that fibro does not stop me from living. I work full time exercise never call in sick. I just live with it. I have no health insurance and rarely go to the doctor. I take Aleve, a flexeril, amitriptyline and 5mg Xanax at bedtime only and a thyroid pill in the morning. But I am tired of the constant ache. Brain fog comes and goes. I am 56 and refuse to give in to it all. A friend suggested the oil and I decided to do some research. So here I am. What is next?

Yes. You want "cannabis oil", not CBD oil or hemp oil. It is sometimes called improperly called RSO (for Rick Simpson Oil), but no matter.

You want an extract of the resin from high-THC cannabis flower that has been decarboxylated. Look for a small needle-less syringe containing 1 gram of a black, tar looking fluid.

The key to properly ingesting the oil is to place a rice-sized piece on your tongue (better yet, under your tongue) and try to absorb as much as you can through your mucus membranes. That way the THC-9 goes directly to your bloodstream. Some of it will get swallowed, in which case it gets converted to THC-11 in the liver. Both THC-9 and THC-11 have health benefits, so you want them both. But large amounts of THC-11 alone often results in strong psychoactive effects that some people experience (and dislike) after eating an edible.

The goal is to take the oil daily, in increasing doses, so that your body gets used to it. People talk about high tolerance as a bad thing, but that really is the goal. To be able to intake a higher doses of oil, without being affected.

I'm to the point where I don't really feel the effects of the oil at all when I am awake. But when I go to sleep, I sleep very deeply. That is the best medicinal effect of oil in my opinion - the high quality, restful sleep followed by an invigorating wake up.

Yes. Agreed. Start very small and "introduce" it into your system. The first few times may be very powerful. Make no plans and be prepared to sleep for 10+ hours solid. 

The goal is to be able to take larger and larger amounts, without feeling those overwhelming effects that you felt the first few times. You want to build up a tolerance, so your body can take in a "medical" dose of oil.

Currently, I can take a pretty large dose during the daytime and show no real signs of being "high" or impaired. No red eyes, no dry mouth, full energy and cognition, etc.  The medicinal effects seem to be delayed until I finally go to sleep at night.

[your mileage my vary, I'm not a physician, etc. etc.]

Keep very close track of your dosage. It's really important for repeatability of desired effects. Edibles are totally irresponsible in this. No one knows how to judge a cookie like they can an actual measurement of oil volume ingested.

The question then is;

How do I ingest this bad tasting stuff if it's not in a cookie?

You buy some gel capsules at the health food store, or online, and put the desired amount in them. Swallow one, no taste. Totally repeatable. 

• 4 months later...