Bulk Water From Culligan At Meijer

It's the only water we use. I've never checked the ph. Matter of fact, rarely do I check ph on anything.

Results? I dunno. What do you think? The grow was issue free. This is Free Leonard and it was taken probably a week early so it could have been much nicer. It was still 3 1/2 dry, and is extremely tasty with a great high. Thank you Swampy...RIP.

post-4319-12709572162993_thumb.jpg

post-4319-12709572275642_thumb.jpg

post-4319-12709575041294_thumb.jpg

Meijer is the main store for water acquisition for me. Never had a problem although I check the system maintenance record posted on the unit for regular update.

The plants seem healthy/]happy and there has been no complaints from my four-legged housemates either!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know...I did this for quite a while myself. The water is usually great except the ph needs to be adjusted on occasion. It is just a hassle to have to go to meijers all the time to get water. Filling up 10-15 single gallon jugs at a time got old quick. Had an R.O. system installed about a year ago that does 200 gal/day and never looked back. Its so nice having (basically) unlimited R.O. water supply 20 feet from my grow. I say if you can afford it...do it. You will be happy you did.

Wondering about the bulk water from Meijer that comes out of the culligan machine. Seems to be slightly acidic 5.5-6.2. Does anybody use it to water their plants and with what results? Thanks friends

I have 4 of those big blue 5 gallon containers the ones that are free of that plastic oil residue..whats it called..? crap...I use that and city watr from my municipality and just let it sit for 2 days and evaporate the Chlorine. never any issues. NO PH issues but I use a blend of 5 kinds of dirt and 2 additives. Organic of course.

• 1 month later...

I am gonna purchase an R O System in the very near future as I have used before but in the mean time I use bottled spring water and have had no problems at all.

Im just runnin Sring water right now also. No pH meter yet.. :dodgyrun: dont wanna buy a cheap one so ill wait and get a good one. Changing the res weekly until i get one, Plants seem to love it.

Ill probley start using these 5 gallon jugs until i get a RO system.

Wondering about the bulk water from Meijer that comes out of the culligan machine. Seems to be slightly acidic 5.5-6.2. Does anybody use it to water their plants and with what results? Thanks friends

The few bottles of Culligan water i have ph'd recently have all tested in the low 8's. I can only imagine the alkaline readings are indicative of bleach residue leftover from the disinfection process.

It can be difficult to accurately measure the ph of distilled water:

Mission Impossible:

Measuring the pH of Pure Water!

You wouldn't think it would be so darn difficult!

By Frank Paparone, Technical Support Leader, OAKTON Instruments

What could possibly be so difficult about reading the pH of pure water? It should be neutral—pH 7.0—without any ion interference, right? In fact, it can be quite difficult and often frustrating to obtain reproducible pH values in samples with low-ionic strength.

Water that has very few ionic species is said to be low in alkalinity, ionic strength, or to have low conductivity/high resistivity, such as with distilled or deionized (DI) water. And due to the varying junction potentials that develop across the reference junction, when attempting to measure DI water it is common to attain different pH values even with new, sealed electrodes that calibrate perfectly in pH buffers.

Choosing a pH Electrode
More expensive double-junction and calomel electrodes have a number of advantages over traditional electrodes. However, they are generally no better than their counterparts for pure water applications. The best choice is a refillable, liquid-filled electrode, ideally made of low resistance glass. A flowing reference junction has a higher flow rate to minimize junction potentials. Sealed electrodes, usually gel-filled, are best known for their "long-life", due in part to the extremely slow leak rate of the reference solution. However, a fast leak rate is desirable with pure water so that a pH potential can be established more quickly. This is also the reason why sealed electrodes should not be stored in DI water—the sample will accelerate the leaching of reference solution, which cannot be replaced.

Electrostatic Interference
Since ultra pure water is a bad conductor, it can also be a source of static potentials. These static potentials may present problems while measuring pH. To compensate for this interference, pH electrodes are available with a special shielded or grounded compartment. Such electrodes are expensive and specifically designed for measurement of ultra pure water.

Other Measurement Tips
  • It is also beneficial to measure pH in the smallest sample volume possible. Direct pH measurement in large volume samples, such as drums or tanks and other samples with flowing or moving water, produces results that tend to fluctuate and will require excessive stabilization time.
  • Addition of a tiny amount of KCl will increase ionic strength to the sample and improve response time. However, only high purity KCl should be used as trace contaminants, as low-grade KCl can artificially alter the pH.
  • Maintain good laboratory practices (GLP), including using clean glassware, avoiding cross-contamination after calibration by rinsing thoroughly with DI water, and using only certified calibration standards.
  • Temperature compensation should be used during measurement and calibration. Calibrate daily at multiple pH calibration points.
  • Minimize exposure of your sample with air. CO
    gas absorption can actually decrease pH.

source:

As I recall, the easiest way around this measurement difficulty is to add a standard nutrient mix into the water, and then measure the resulting ph. Compare that with the ph of the same nutrient mix in another water source, and that gives you an indication of the real effect of the starting ph of the distilled water.

• 4 weeks later...

im interested in a r/o setup as well, but do i need a 5,6,or 7 stage system. im thinking about just a 100gpd, i bought a 2 stage water filter which helped a little, but did nothing for my PPM levels. if i run hot water my ppms are 560ish and cold water its at 440ish or a little be lower.

thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

r u guys kidding me you go and get water from the store to grow with? Dam thats allot of work check out purewaterclub dot com and get a r/o system you can get a portable unit for like 68 bucks and there the best systems around.Ive run there system for years with no problems.Do your back a favor and stop hauling water like it's afica.

Peace

Archived