i have heard alot of bad things about femm seeds that they have a very high rate of hermming is this true or not i was just wondering because i got a bubba kush and it has popped and i would like to know if im wasting my time with it i love bubba kush and it is not a cheap breed and i was just hoping it is not true because if not i got a great start on a good strain thanx for the help

Ok, this has been brought up before, and since this point hasn't been stated yet i'll state it.

Plants don't herm without a reason. A plant will turn into a hermaphrodite for a number of reasons; usually these reasons are releated to stress of some kind. Temp, nute, bugs, pests, light leaks, humidity, water PH, etc. So what it really comes to is the individual grower. If you have your room setup right, maintained properly you can minimize your chances of stressing the plants; especially if you know the strain and are aware of its needs.

the other half of this arguments is based on the strain itself. There are some strains that seem to hermaphrodite for no apparent reason, even if you seemed to perform everything perfect. This is determined partially by genetics and partially by what the plant is exposed to during its lifecycle. So if you have a strain, which has a tendency to herm, it may happen in response to some kind of stress. This should encourage newer growers to do a little more research and read about a strains tendencies before growing it out.

A combination of these really sensitive strains and groups of growers always blaming the plant for their problems are the reason fem seeds get a bad rap. I've grown with fem and non-fem and i haven't had a problem with hermaphrodites except once and it was from non-fem seed stock.

Will this help prevent hermaphrodites in your garden? H**l no! But hopefully it will make you aware of what actually makes a plant hermaphrodite, and not just blame it on "FEM" seeds.

TFB

What about the strains that herm in late flower?

In general these plants are trying to survive long enough to provide the next generation of seeds; that is their purpose. Hermaproditism is a response to what the plant thinks might be a potential life threatening situation. If the plant thinks its going to die, or be unable to pass on its genes, it will turn into a hermaphrodite so it can pollinate itself and make seeds. Its hoping these seeds will be able to pass on its genes in the next season.

This next statement is assuming the plants have hermed due to late the flowering time period, and not in response to another problem that just happened to occur in late flowering.

In direct response to your question, some plants seem to be aware of whether they have been pollinated or not. This trait is definitely strain specific. I've heard before from older growers, that if you happen to have a strain that has this trait, one way to trick the plant is to save some pollen in your fridge from another male. This pollen can be used to pollinate a single branch on the plant, this in some cases prevents it from becoming a hermie in late flower for those strains.

I've heard before from older growers, that if you happen to have a strain that has this trait, one way to trick the plant is to save some pollen in your fridge from another male. This pollen can be used to pollinate a single branch on the plant, this in some cases prevents it from becoming a hermie in late flower for those strains.

Thats actually a pretty good idea. I think the whole idea of feminized seeds is to make it easier on the beginner. Depending on which way they were femmed can cause even more of a burden on the first time grower. I think it was subcool who stated that " Cannabis's dominate state is hermaphrodite"

Yeah i asked about this before too.To me a herm is a plant that throws hairs then grows male pollen sacks way before harvest time.Versus a plant that has made it late into harvest and then throws nanners.to me these are differnt altogether I even think they look a little different too.Male pollen sacks are usally found in the elbow of a branch or on the ends of each branch.And the nanners show up in the middle of a bud or on the bud somewhere.Any ways heres a link to what Soma says about it.Fem Seeds Learn More

I will never again buy feminized seeds.

We went in together and paid $150 for 10 god bud seeds all but 2 hermied and the one that did not on my side is giving me a really poor yield plus i also hear that cloning from feminized seeds is impossible as the stress affects both plant and clones turning them into hermis.

We went in together and paid $150 for 10 god bud seeds all but 2 hermied and the one that did not on my side is giving me a really poor yield plus i also hear that cloning from feminized seeds is impossible as the stress affects both plant and clones turning them into hermis.

I've made some fem seeds but have yet to crack them My plant count is full but from what You say and others I heard about it just doesnt pay to try and save time with this process.Bummer cause it would be cool if it worked.

That's unfortunate diamond. It probably has to do with that strains specifically, i wouldn't swear off all fem seeds in general. that'd be like having a bad experience drinking beer, and swearing off all alcohol together.

The second point you made isn't completely accurate, once again, this is strain specific. some strains as you have said will hermie from the stress, some strains handle it fine. I have a thai Fantasy that was grown from fem seed, and she has provided wonderful clones 2 times around now, and not one hermie in the bunch.

TFB

IMHO, it's about the breeder. A good breeder will work very hard to make sure there fem seeds don't hermie. They will stress them to death (just about) and the ones that don't hermie from stress are forced to hermie through hormones/chemicals. I have had several from Barney's Farm without any issues.

IMHO, it's about the breeder. A good breeder will work very hard to make sure there fem seeds don't hermie. They will stress them to death (just about) and the ones that don't hermie from stress are forced to hermie through hormones/chemicals. I have had several from Barney's Farm without any issues.

Exactly, the breeder has the most control over it. Though, you can't do any more/less than the genes you started with, and some strains are just to finicky to stabilize. This is one of the reasons for high cost seed stock, a good breeder might spend 5+ years stabilizing a strain. I would agree that producing fem seeds that were forced to herm through chemical exposure is better than using fem stock which hermed from a variable related to grow stress. This insures that they not making feminized seeds stock which have a pre-determined weakness to that type of stress. Most grow rooms will never come into contact with colloidal silver(one checmical used to force a plant to herm); whereas in the usual grow process plants may be exposed to heat, light, water, nute, pest, humidity, or other grow related types of stress.

Once a breeder/strain gets a reputation for going herm, its all over.

I tell ya, sometimes i think i spent too long reading about this stuff =)

TFB

thanks for all the good info on the fem seeds,im growing the cheese, disel,and jakie white there growing great just turned them over tonight all of them were showing pistils,and i agree its all to do with the breeder,light leeks will do it,for sure make sure not to interfere with that darkness unless you have that green light.i just grew a strain that hermed on 7 plants mostly all on the lower branches seeds all threw it.and that was just some outdoor seed from last years harvest.i beleave it was all my fault.still real good meds just not sensi.good luck and growing

Archived