Marks On Your Record

erokster

Is it True your doctor can mark on your perminent record if you discuss medical marijuana?

i was told that they do and when they do you could never be perscribed pain killers?

can you guys shed any light on this subject?

thanks for your time

I know for a Fact that there are

Nothern Michigan Clinic and Doctors will

put in your medical records if you test positive for THC ...

Especially if you sign one of their drug contracts ...

Their know to send copies to your other doctors ...

I have a few friends that have been banned from

receiving any Narcotic from other local Doctors ...

Usually a doctor will put any 'medically' related information into a medical record, and 'medically related' info can include quite a bit.

And a 'record' would very likely include any mention of MMJ or cannabis use.

If a person is worried about that sort of thing it might be better for that person to go to a doctor they know is MMJ friendly.

If a person goes to a doctor that is NOT listed with their insurance as a 'preferred provider', etc, and that person does not use their insurance to pay that doctor, then those records... unless there are some unusual circumstances... USUALLY go no further than that doctor's office unless the patient requests them to be sent elsewhere or they are requested by a hospital, etc, to help provide a person with medical care.

I always try to remember that any time a person uses their insurance to pay for a doctor's visit / treatment ANY information the doctor puts into a 'record' the insurance company AND other doctors that provide services for that insurance company can have access to those records and can read them.

Whether or not a person would be cut off of their pain meds for discussing MMJ depends VERY much upon the doctor and HIS / HER employer (if the doctor is working for a clinic, hospital, etc. which is very common these days).

Yes, your doctor will put it in your medical record if you discuss MMJ with them. If they refuse you some kind of medicine in the future based on this discussion then you can change doctors. Just refuse to sign a release of information for the old doctor and your record will not be passed on to your new doctor. If it does get passed on and you find out, someones behind will be on the line. This is what HIPPA is all about.

Guest Medicinal Patient

Yes, your doctor will put it in your medical record if you discuss MMJ with them. If they refuse you some kind of medicine in the future based on this discussion then you can change doctors. Just refuse to sign a release of information for the old doctor and your record will not be passed on to your new doctor. If it does get passed on and you find out, someones behind will be on the line. This is what HIPPA is all about.

Is there any way to designate what places the release forms are intended for if you have records from more than one type of Dr and want to share only some of the places you have been treated? Thanks

As I understand it a release of information must specify who it being released to. The other thing you can do is get a copy of your records (chart notes) for yourself and hand deliver or fax them to whichever clinic you want to use. Your insurance will not pay for a visit to a MMJ clinic.

You are correct.

A 'release of information' form has to have a 'specific' receiver listed on it... and 'med records' can be sent to Santa Clause if that's where a person wants them to go.

BUT Santa may not be signing any 'recommendations'.

Unless of course he's become a MD / OD since he left my house last December when he got his butt stuck in my chimney.

As I understand it a release of information must specify who it being released to. The other thing you can do is get a copy of your records (chart notes) for yourself and hand deliver or fax them to whichever clinic you want to use. Your insurance will not pay for a visit to a MMJ clinic.

Guest Medicinal Patient

Thanks for the reply flatline. If I recall correctly, every Dr I have ever started a relationship with (usually during the first visit) has had me sign approx 4-5 identical release forms where all I had to do was sign and date. I admit I never fully read the forms I sign but they are not personalized to anyone or place. I think a lesson to is to read what you sign. In the future I will specify which place I want my records recovered from. Thanks for this valuable info. It will definitely come in handy.

Over the last several months of gathering chart notes from Drs and older ER notes, I see these Drs put all kinds of stuff in the notes, even if it don't directly pertain to you as the patient or your medical conditions. For example, I have a relative who at last minute "had" to ride along with us and in my notes it discusses her behavior and suspected drug use and was asked to leave the building, an its all in my notes. I have also been extremely disappointed and frustrated when I received my chart notes and see that the Drs mention things during the exam that never ever happened, and says how I denied certain symptoms when it never got discussed.

This experience with trying to become legal has really opened my eyes to how all these Drs can perceive things and add false statements and has made me be more careful in what I discuss with my Drs and not be as trusting in them, unfortunately.

I am also wondering if they are adding things to chart notes since this law has passed to make it more difficult to get your rec. For example, I have gone to a Neurologist with numerous pain complaints and was prescribed several medicines and my chart notes says I said my chronic back problems are currently not an issue when that was a main topic of discussion during the visit. It acknowledges that we discussed my chronic pain of almost 2 decades but that now all of a sudden its not an issue like it has subsided or somethin. Very frustrating to say the least.

Guest Marywanna

DON'T TELL ANY OF YOUR DRS you are a MMJ pt. If you feel you must,tell him that he CANNOT enter it into your medical records. You have the right to privacy. Who knows what your insurance company might do if they found out.

Yep there is a way they can find out,,just ask them what they think of mm, and within a few months you will get a urine screen, and when you test pos for thc. they quit you!

no they can not share your records with any one unless you sign a release, and than your records can only be shared with the person you released them to! period,,,that dont mean they dont share them though!

Paranoia,,it will save you!

WOW! Paranoia, I adore ya!

Folks my doc recommended the program to me!

Course he knows about it; it was his idea.

I'm sure he passed that on to my insurer but it is legal (he signed the state forms and it is a legal state program).

Relax a little. Please, if for no other reason than to keep me from joining ya on that paranoid plane. blink.gif

A person has the right to go to ANY doctor that they choose to go to... as long as that doctor is willing to see them.

Of course, if you have to rely on using your insurance, as many people do, it may limit you to certain doctors.

And doctors have opinions just like everyone else... SOME are anti-MMJ and some are not... SOME pro-MMJ doctors may be listed as providers for your insurance SOME may not be.

MANY times a doctors 'opinion' on MMJ is determined by the health agency he / she works for or they may just be personally against MMJ for pain relief.

And unless your are COURT ORDERED, on probation, or required by your employer or your insurance company requires it in order for for them to pay for doctor visits and meds, NO ONE can make you take a 'urine test' or any other test for the types of chemicals / medications / drugs you may or may not be using.

Yep there is a way they can find out,,just ask them what they think of mm, and within a few months you will get a urine screen, and when you test pos for thc. they quit you!no they can not share your records with any one unless you sign a release, and than your records can only be shared with the person you released them to! period,,,that dont mean they dont share them though!Paranoia,,it will save you!

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacysummary.pdf

Summary of the HIPAA privacy act.

And GreenBuddha, while true no one can make you take a urine drug screen, it doesn't mean they can't deny you service for not doing so.

JohnB... Sad... but true.

That may be a VERY good reason NOT to bring up the subject of MMJ with a person's physician.

Might be smarter to go to a doctor you KNOW is PRO-MMJ.

And ANY doctor that would demand that I take a urine test in order to continue to see them, at my LAST examination with them I would bend over and they could kiss my a** GOODBYE.

http://www.hhs.gov/o...vacysummary.pdf

Summary of the HIPAA privacy act.

And GreenBuddha, while true no one can make you take a urine drug screen, it doesn't mean they can't deny you service for not doing so.

Archived