Grow Myths

Minion

Was at work the other day and a grow discussion about males and females came up. A fellow worker said that by putting one male in a grow room of seedling, the seedlings will more likely become female. This is the first time ive ever heard of placing a male in a veg to get females. Help me prove him wrong and set him straight. Or help him prove me wrong. Either way, I want to know if there is any hard evidence to this "Male Myth".

Was at work the other day and a grow discussion about males and females came up. A fellow worker said that by putting one male in a grow room of seedling, the seedlings will more likely become female. This is the first time ive ever heard of placing a male in a veg to get females. Help me prove him wrong and set him straight. Or help him prove me wrong. Either way, I want to know if there is any hard evidence to this "Male Myth".

Not true. Doesn't make any sense what so ever as well.

This is simply not true by any means.

Cannabis plants are mere annual flowers. They are bound by genetics just like all living things. The very fabric of the determination of a male or female outcome is a direct result of genetics.

The plants are determined to be male or female when the seed is created, not after it sprouts. Each seed has a 50/50 chance of being male or female, granted they aren't feminized seeds.

You can however influence the sex of the plant once it has reached sexual maturity, but unfortunately only in a seemingly negative way. Meaning you can only influence females to become hermaphrodites. But that is also a genetic decision. It's a genetic survival mechanism and can only be triggered through some type of irregular stressor on the plant.

Hope that helps!

I draw a fish in the dirt . Pointing north.............:blink:

LOLOL...HAhhhahahhahh....omg..You almost killed me..oooh... few.....darn that was good... Thanks... I needed that...Peace

I was told to spit on a rock and place it as the eye of the fish. The theory is all the other rocks will be jealous of the shine and it will rain......................................:rolleyes:

We would do this at the construction site hopeing for a rain day.... Usually after a ENJOYABLE lunch...lol...........

1 female in a group of males makes more sense to me. Each plant has it's own dna, chromsomes,

and when a female plant is pollinated by 5-6 male plants, I think the plant would do something

to counteract the imbalance of the sexes, by producing more female plants. I can swear that my

White Widow seeds which were made with a 3:1 ratio of males to females produce a higher number of

female plants than the original seeds. I wasn't so lucky with the ICE I grow out later.

Another theory is that the pollen from a hermaphrodite plant will produce female seeds when used

to pollinate a female plants.

I don't think this claim is correct But an interesting Male Myth I ran across outdoors is this.I fish alot so I have alot of leftover fish product after fileting.I simply buried the remains shallow in a 10 x 10 area all summer long.The next spring I planted in the fish rich zone and others.What happend was in the fish rich zone 9 out of 10 became male versus the other natural dirt which was 6 out of 10 female.Same strain same batch of seeds wierd huh

I don't think this claim is correct But an interesting Male Myth I ran across outdoors is this.I fish alot so I have alot of leftover fish product after fileting.I simply buried the remains shallow in a 10 x 10 area all summer long.The next spring I planted in the fish rich zone and others.What happend was in the fish rich zone 9 out of 10 became male versus the other natural dirt which was 6 out of 10 female.Same strain same batch of seeds wierd huh

Fish compost can sometimes be very high in mercury and silver, which would lead to a hefty PH imbalance and I've heard but may be another myth that silver effects alot of plants in odd ways. Take all your fish left overs and stuff them in a nice compost bucket along with some earthworm castings, blackstrap molasses and dolemite lime. That should help balance the PH and it allows you to check the water runoff ph before spreading it on your grow site, if its high or low add some more lime to help balance things.

Archived