The Unoffical Candiadate List For 2010

if someone could mark all the ones that are MM friendly, that'd be awesome. I'm not much of a political person, though I was a long-time activist, but I got burned out. I'm so tired of fighting, as so many of us are, especially fighting for what we already fought for and won. All my life I've been fighting for my rights. I just wanna live in peace, but when I see the horror stories I've seen here and heard about, I see how tame my life is, knowing how much worse it could be. My heart goes out to you all. Knowing I'm not alone doesn't help much, but I'm doing my best to stand there with you all, especially those who have endured much worse trouble than I have. I may be leaning against a wall, but I'm still standing.

Sb

That's a great list. Does anyone know or can anyone post the names of people seeking office, no matter the district/office, who are pro-legalization or at least pro MM? I don't know of any off hand, but I'd like to have a list to take to the ballot with me. My memory is good, just awfully short... I remember seeing something in one of my old magazines, but it was from 04, or 08?

----Nemo

We (that is You and I) need to create the list in a category where we can list each persons name and position - statewide and what office they are seeking.

The deeper we are able to go - even city elections is possible - judges of course - the more effective the effort will become over all.

Who has the experience to create a type of listing within this web site that can be accessed and updated as a listing by all?ANYONE??

DT you are right on brother, I work with you if they open a slot for us to update, or we could even post it here. I can work on getting some information this weekend. Just for grins, I'll start with my area and expand from there. I forget how many districts are in Michigan, although I believe it's over 100. It will take some phone calls and lots of diggin but if we get a few more people to help out, we can rock this State off it's foundations! Hell ya! Now I'm getting excited! Something I can actually do! lol

The Denver measure was pushed by a single activist: Mason Tvert, who organized SAFER, Safer Alternative For Enjoyable Recreation, on the University of Colorado and Colorado State University campuses, and now runs it from his Denver home. He was funded in part by the Marijuana Policy Project, which received $3 million this year from Peter Lewis, the heir of the Progressive Insurance Companies, who helps fellow billionaire George Soros support liberal causes.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1682111,00.html#ixzz0nrf3Yhsx

Wow!! Any one know this man and could talk to him about supporting the movement here in the great state of Michigan??

Sure would be good to have him in our corner, or atleast on the donations list.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/diary/6708/mi01-bart-stupak-may-retire

Here is some information on some of the candidates, although not everyone they talk about is actually running. Check it out.

Here's another, albeit from our neighboring state of Ohio. Looks like the people there are fed up and ready to vote in a change as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2010/04/most_ohioans_support_medical_m/3113/comments-newest.html

Here is a response from Scott Withers running for the 5th district. I am awaiting another response and will add that here as soon as I receive it. I simply asked where he stood on the issue of Medical Marijuana. See his response below.

I received your friend request with an attached comment. Did you have a specific question about medical marijuana?

I do not have a medical degree, so I will have to defer to medical experts about the benefits of medical marijuana.

I will say that based on the medical research I've reviewed, medical marijuana does have benefits for several types of diseases. In these cases, I support it being used under a physician's direction.

Scott

I have contacted three others regarding this issue and will post them as they come in. Mr. Withers replied almost immediately.

There are strict limits on political campaigning that a 501c3 can perform. Does anyone know if the MMMMA has filed their 501c3 paperwork with the state yet? If so, promoting candidates supportive of our cause could jeopardize the 501c3 status. And, do Articles of Incorporation which identify organization as non-profit limit political activity as well? We really need to understand our limits here.

We, at Berrien County Compassion, are developing a Political Action Committee, but are not sure what activities we can legally engage in as a non-profit.

"Does anyone know if the MMMMA has filed their 501c3 paperwork with the state yet? If so, promoting candidates supportive of our cause could jeopardize the 501c3 status."

what is this, non profit status? doesn't discussing political views of candidates fall under free speech? please explain further

"Does anyone know if the MMMMA has filed their 501c3 paperwork with the state yet? If so, promoting candidates supportive of our cause could jeopardize the 501c3 status."

what is this, non profit status? doesn't discussing political views of candidates fall under free speech? please explain further

For us to talk about it as individuals does, but official actions by the group are limited as a 501c3. MMMA would have to form an actual "political action committee", and, or, a 501c4 & a 527 to do more than just "inform".

http://www.nonprofitexpert.com/political.htm

"public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political campaign activity. Violating this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes."

Archived