Does Law Enforcement Get A List?

And, if MDCH notified local LEO, like they notify about sex offenders..........................

I would just like to say.....

1. Sex offenders have broke the law. And, in lots of cases some of the most horrific stories you've ever heard.

2. We have NOT!

If my information is EVER hanging on the cork board next to the list of local sex offenders.................

That is the day I move to Amsterdam.

Here .. taken from this state government web site:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28dwtl5sj5ogoq5ovrgzxlcx55%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-333-26426

333.26426 Administration and enforcement of rules by department.

(h)The following confidentiality rules shall apply:

(1) Applications and supporting information submitted by qualifying patients, including information regarding their primary caregivers and physicians, are confidential.

(2) The department shall maintain a confidential list of the persons to whom the department has issued registry identification cards. Individual names and other identifying information on the list is confidential and is exempt from disclosure under the freedom of information act, 1976 PA 442, MCL 15.231 to 15.246.

(3) The department shall verify to law enforcement personnel whether a registry identification card is valid, without disclosing more information than is reasonably necessary to verify the authenticity of the registry identification card.

(4) A person, including an employee or official of the department or another state agency or local unit of government, who discloses confidential information in violation of this act is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or a fine of not more than $1, 000.00, or both. Notwithstanding this provision, department employees may notify law enforcement about falsified or fraudulent information submitted to the department.

Any employee of the state that discloses anything about any person on the list, with very limited exceptions, is supposed to go to jail.

If the police already have a list, then someone is supposed to be going to jail.

Has anyone noticed how all this info conflicts with the MDCH position that having your application and a copy of your check makes you legal after 20 days. The law states that they can only verify to leo that the "registry number" that leo gives them is real and belongs to you. There is no registry # associated with your application and check.

I was at a presentation that the MDCH gave last week and when Celeste (MMP manager) was asked about this, her response was, "would you drive your car without your DL?"

Bottomline, the idea that you are legal after 20 days is very questionable.

I just wanted to clarify...........If I seemed a little harsh on sex offenders.

My brother is considered a "sex offender". I understand that they paint a lot of people with a VERY large brush when they give you that title.

I'm not referring to the 18 year old (especially if he is the emotional level of a 12 year old) having relations with a 15 year old.

(especially when the girls parents let him live there! Duh.....) When they broke up, the parents then pressed charges.

I'm sure there are MANY crazy stories of why someone has been labeled a sex offender. I also know someone that was caught urinating in public, which is...........indecent exposure. He now is on the sex offenders list.

So, if anyone out there was a little offended.........I'm sorry. Just know, I am referring to the real deal offenders.

Confused........I should say so!

LOL

They CANNOT have a list. It is against HIPPA. If there is a list, and there are PATIENTS on the list, their PROTECTED medical information has been violated. A lawsuit would then make any of the people on that list some $.

Which is precisely why their is a NUMBER issued on everyones cards. THAT is how they verify. You can CHOOSE to let your name be attached to that number (by checking the box) or you can choose to NOT have your name associated with the number (by not checking the box). Either way, the ONLY list there is ANYWHERE is with MDCH.

Bingo! 100% Correct dear. I do IT work for a lot of medical facilities. HIPAA is the federal law of the land. Not only can MDCH not release a patients name or information that information within the department is a need to know basis. In other words a human resources person does not need and can not be able to access patient information in the database. Another example is in a hospital setting a billing person may have access to patient names, addresses, and diagnostic codes but would not be able to access chart notes in the electronic health records system.

The software is so sophisticated that if a nurse or doctor looks up information on a patient they are not listed as having treated a red flag goes up and you must investigate the reason for access. I doubt that MDCH is that sophisticated but it shows the seriousness that the medical facilities are taking the HIPAA laws.

I can't see MSCH violating HIPAA.

Bingo! 100% Correct dear. I do IT work for a lot of medical facilities. HIPAA is the federal law of the land. Not only can MDCH not release a patients name or information that information within the department is a need to know basis. In other words a human resources person does not need and can not be able to access patient information in the database. Another example is in a hospital setting a billing person may have access to patient names, addresses, and diagnostic codes but would not be able to access chart notes in the electronic health records system.

The software is so sophisticated that if a nurse or doctor looks up information on a patient they are not listed as having treated a red flag goes up and you must investigate the reason for access. I doubt that MDCH is that sophisticated but it shows the seriousness that the medical facilities are taking the HIPAA laws.

I can't see MSCH violating HIPAA.

Ummm .. does HIPAA send people to jail?

Our new mmj law does. They go to jail for violations of confidentiality.

I believe our law is much stronger than HIPAA.

Archived