Battle Creek Passed Moratorium For 6 Months

stxchick

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/kalamazoo_and_battle_creek/BC-halts-new-med-marijuana-businesses

Didn't know if anyone posted this yet. I personally contacted Bill Morris, a family friend, prior to tonight's meeting. I was unable to attend the meeting but sent this email as well. When I spoke with the Mayor who is on the commission as well, she was very adamant that the moratorium be put in place. Lack of understanding of the law on many parts. Mr. Morris wasn't even fully informed about the law and what the session tonight was for when I spoke with him today.

Dear Mr. Morris,

Having known you through my father for years, it seems strange to call you Mr. Morris instead of Bill.

Today I write to you in your capacity as City Commissioner for Battle Creek and in regard to the Commission meeting tonight to discuss a 6 month moratorium on Medical Marijuana facilities within the City.

Being a medical MJ patient and an active proponent for laws regarding Medical MJ here in Michigan and having co-authored legislation for full legalization which is being presented to the Legislature of the United States Virgin Islands, I have a bit of knowledge on this topic.

My concerns lie in ensuring everyone's needs and concerns are met without hindering the legal rights of patients and caregivers as afforded them by 63% of the voters of the State of Michigan, November 2008.

I believe that the best way to ensure proper consideration for the business side of the Medical Marijuana law in Michigan there should be a joint council comprised of both City Commissioners and leading members of the Medical MJ community in the area.

I also believe that the moratorium should last no more than 2 or 3 months. That would be sufficient time to do due diligence - we have plenty of examples to look to both within and outside of Michigan regarding the effects of and locations permitted for businesses related to medical marijuana.

I believe that the council should put in place measurables that we can look to as we determine the efficacy of dispensary type businesses and the effects it has on the community - financially, crime statistics, and community development.

The above is what I propose instead of a full 6 month moratorium.

Allow the existing businesses to run - bring them into this if they are willing to participate and be transparent in their operations to the extent that the patients' rights are protected. If they are not willing to participate, allow up to 2 or 3 additional businesses the allowance to open and run during the time we evaluate the process.

One of the leaders in Battle Creek is a man named Joe Cain. He is very active with the legal issues surrounding medical marijuana in Michigan having supported and worked on local and state levels to ensure the patient and caregiver rights are preserved and that no additional laws are compromised. I have shared with him my thoughts on this and encourage your questioning of him at tonight's meeting.

I appreciate your time and consideration of my proposition. I am confident that we can work together to ensure that proper policies are enacted that will protect the patients, caregivers, business owners, and the citizens of Battle Creek, while increasing the tax base for the City of Battle Creek.

Great letter Linda!!

the quote of the article "and there's a need to regulate where they appear, among other things"is what I was afraid of!! We better be on our toes kids.

Thanks! Hopefully he was the one vote against the moratorium. The vote ended 7-1 in favor of. There was a group going to the meeting - hopefully they will post about it.

http://www.woodtv.co...uana-businesses

Didn't know if anyone posted this yet. I personally contacted Bill Morris, a family friend, prior to tonight's meeting. I was unable to attend the meeting but sent this email as well. When I spoke with the Mayor who is on the commission as well, she was very adamant that the moratorium be put in place. Lack of understanding of the law on many parts. Mr. Morris wasn't even fully informed about the law and what the session tonight was for when I spoke with him today.

Dear Mr. Morris,

Having known you through my father for years, it seems strange to call you Mr. Morris instead of Bill.

Today I write to you in your capacity as City Commissioner for Battle Creek and in regard to the Commission meeting tonight to discuss a 6 month moratorium on Medical Marijuana facilities within the City.

Being a medical MJ patient and an active proponent for laws regarding Medical MJ here in Michigan and having co-authored legislation for full legalization which is being presented to the Legislature of the United States Virgin Islands, I have a bit of knowledge on this topic.

My concerns lie in ensuring everyone's needs and concerns are met without hindering the legal rights of patients and caregivers as afforded them by 63% of the voters of the State of Michigan, November 2008.

I believe that the best way to ensure proper consideration for the business side of the Medical Marijuana law in Michigan there should be a joint council comprised of both City Commissioners and leading members of the Medical MJ community in the area.

I also believe that the moratorium should last no more than 2 or 3 months. That would be sufficient time to do due diligence - we have plenty of examples to look to both within and outside of Michigan regarding the effects of and locations permitted for businesses related to medical marijuana.

I believe that the council should put in place measurables that we can look to as we determine the efficacy of dispensary type businesses and the effects it has on the community - financially, crime statistics, and community development.

The above is what I propose instead of a full 6 month moratorium.

Allow the existing businesses to run - bring them into this if they are willing to participate and be transparent in their operations to the extent that the patients' rights are protected. If they are not willing to participate, allow up to 2 or 3 additional businesses the allowance to open and run during the time we evaluate the process.

One of the leaders in Battle Creek is a man named Joe Cain. He is very active with the legal issues surrounding medical marijuana in Michigan having supported and worked on local and state levels to ensure the patient and caregiver rights are preserved and that no additional laws are compromised. I have shared with him my thoughts on this and encourage your questioning of him at tonight's meeting.

I appreciate your time and consideration of my proposition. I am confident that we can work together to ensure that proper policies are enacted that will protect the patients, caregivers, business owners, and the citizens of Battle Creek, while increasing the tax base for the City of Battle Creek.

WOW Great work

I think they kinda see it our way,Im glad they asked if there was anyone interested in sitting down at the table in a latter date to help hash things out.There was about five people including myself that signed up...THANKS goes out to those people!! :goodjob:

I was glad to see one of the the local dispensary owners VITAMINK show up an support patients rights to be able to get meds in a safe place!!! THANKS KEVIN!! :goodjob:

Joe,Great speech..My MAN!!

Maggie Perrin did set them in there place,sure made them commissioners THINK !! :goodjob:

Archived