Round Or Square

Dman

I'm setting up a new bubble type system and have a ton (lol hundreds) of 5 gal pails. Question is would a tote be better than 5gal pails? I was going to use them in series with each other for watering IE: 1 reservoir pail, 1 lead pail, and 2,3,4... just leveling pails. Is there a problem with running lines between pails? Is that to much water in a bubble type system? I would think if the net pot sits in the top it would be about 3.5 to 4 gal of water per 5-gal pail. I would think it would be easier to separate them if I had too. Also, would it be too much to get 2 plants in 1 pail? Space wise I think the totes would be better but I guess I'm worried about to much water in the early stage of the plant. Thanks

it depends on how big you grow your plants really. obviously you can fit as bunch of squares/rectangles in a room better than a bunch of circles.............. BUT if you grow your plants pretty good sized, it doesnt matter what you have them in because the plant will be bigger than the container and the containers will not be side-by-side anyways.

soooooooooooooooooooooo............................ i just always use the 10gallon totes instead of the buckets. that way if i am growing them small, i can fit 2 per tote, and if i am growing them big, the 10gallon tote holds 6 gallons of water/nutes and gives the roots more room to grow than the 3gallons of water/nutes and smaller space for roots to grow in the 5gallon bucket.

AND....................... 99% of the time, a 10gallon tote is a couple dollars cheaper than a 5gallon bucket w/lid anyways....

i still have a couple 5gallon buckets laying around................ but i use mostly 10 gallon totes now......

Yes, he has been very helpful to me. I must have read every page. So I guess using his 10gal tote for 2 works mathematical 1 plant for 5gals. Could you conceivably get 2 plants in 1- 5gal pail or would the root system cog when maturing?

If you have the buckets, use them...

I was going to do the VERY same thing, but, I was going to cut the bottom out of one bucket and silicone it into a second bucket, to allow for MORE water in the system (water IS your buffer in the system. Near the end, they'll be sucking a LOT of water, changing your EC level DRASTICALLY as the water level drops, less water more EC change as water level falls)

I was also going to place the WHOLE system in a circuit (linked with 1/2 poly). I was going to have an outlet AND an inlet going in/out of my controller AND I was ALSO going to place pumps (small ones mind you) on the in/out to circulate the water/fert mix amongst the buckets..

Just a thought, I MacGyver as much as I can..

Archived