Fem Seeds

Hey everyone, I had a question about clones from fem seed plants. I was talkin to a guy in my local hydro shop and he was tellin me that fem seeds can herm if your not careful. We'll I found a guy that has super lemon haze clones from greenhouse seeds and I'm pretty sure they dont offer this strain as a non fem(reg) seed but I could be wrong.

Do clones from fem seeds run the same risk of herming like the mother plant? Why do fem seeds herm? I've heard b/c of shock to the plant. Would transporting the clone stress it out to much? Is there anything that I can do to keep my clone a Stella and not a fella?

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for the multi-part question.

Same as with a regular seed plant pamper her when ya do things

transplanting no problem

regular light shedule

no light leaks

proper humidity

dont over/under water/feed

always make changes in conditions gradually

avoid stress and you will be pleased with the SLH

not true at all ANY FEMALE PLANT will herm if stressed.. you can stress a female plant by screwing up the light cycles, over cheming, under watering theres alot that can HERM a plant.... sorry porcupine but you are wrong .. i'vehermed many femal strains over the year and years of growing. put a plant in flower for a month turn the lights off for 5 days and start your flower cycle .. generally they will start seeding through the dark period but if they don't they will the week the lights hit... jerking the ph does a good job of herming also... BASICALLY ANY MAJOR STRESS WILL HERM A FEMALE

not true at all ANY FEMALE PLANT will herm if stressed.. you can stress a female plant by screwing up the light cycles, over cheming, under watering theres alot that can HERM a plant.... sorry porcupine but you are wrong .. i'vehermed many femal strains over the year and years of growing. put a plant in flower for a month turn the lights off for 5 days and start your flower cycle .. generally they will start seeding through the dark period but if they don't they will the week the lights hit... jerking the ph does a good job of herming also... BASICALLY ANY MAJOR STRESS WILL HERM A FEMALE

Not all plants hermie under slight stress and some will take some serious stress b4 hermieing. Other strains just need one shot of light during the dark period.

Example: Cinderella won't hermie unless you do some seriously crazy stuff to her and Train Wreck will hermie at the drop of a hat.

I personally don't feel that feminized seeds are good for beginners. If you grow feminized seed keep your eyes open to hermies. I've never grown purchased feminized seeds but have heard enough horror stories to be convinced. I won't ever buy or breed feminized seeds. I know how make 'em just don't feel that it's a very good breeding practice.

Many lines you can now only find in feminized seeds. Feminized seeds are more about protecting the breeders line than it is about pleasing the public imo.

If the mother plant did not herm, then the clones will not herm. The genetics are the same mother to clone, regardless of whether they are feminized or dioceous.

Some plants change after being cloned. I had some Grape Crush females make it through flower just fine. Made mother plants and the clones spewed pollen.

You really have to run a plant for a year before you totally see her true colors.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. Any female will herm if you stress her enough. If the femenized female mother did not herm under the conditions you ran her then the clones won't herm under the same conditions. There are very few exceptions. They are no different than clones from a dioceus strain. If the mother Hermed under your conditions then the clones probably will.

I don't know who positive repped this person as we ALL know you can herm any female. That wasn't the point of this post. It was if clones off of femized seeds turn herm.

Some plants change after being cloned. I had some Grape Crush females make it through flower just fine. Made mother plants and the clones spewed pollen.

You really have to run a plant for a year before you totally see her true colors.

That is a very rare occurance, and generally but not always is due to the clones being raised in a different enviornment than the mother was.

I agree that you should run a pant through many cycles if you are going to make a true assesment and or representation of the genetics involved.

I personally don't feel that feminized seeds are good for beginners. If you grow feminized seed keep your eyes open to hermies. I've never grown purchased feminized seeds but have heard enough horror stories to be convinced. I won't ever buy or breed feminized seeds. I know how make 'em just don't feel that it's a very good breeding practice.

Many lines you can now only find in feminized seeds. Feminized seeds are more about protecting the breeders line than it is about pleasing the public imo.

Depends on the breeder who is offering the seeds. If the breeder is using Silver Thiosulfate or Gibberelic Acid to induce male flowers on female plants then you should not even consider buying them, they are not breeders, they are pollen chuckers.

If the breeder knows what he is doing, tests the original for true herm traits, finds the right natural stressor, and tests the end results for several runs, then you can be sure of not getting herms. Spend the money on properly femenized seed and you will not be disappointed. Five or six years ago I wouldn't have touched fems with a ten foot pole, but after running a certain breeders fems for several years through many cycles and never having a herm or potency issue I have had to reasses my opinion of them. But only if I know they were not chemically, but properly stressed and the mother of the seed has been tested for herm issues.

cloned fem seedz and they turned hermie. white widow and super silver haze.

I have BURMESE KUSH by TH Seeds Feminized and I cut themm all the time. They love being cloned. It's almost like they want to be messed with. Very tuff girly. Takes heat and water, nutes. It can go up to almost 90 degrees until the stomata begin shutting down. Its OG KUSH x Burmese. Thanks Dave for getting her to me...hahaha. Strawberry Cough Kyle Kushmen cut is very tuff as well vigerous growing plant, extremely bushy and low to medium height.

Dynamite x Chemo MI CLONE only...takes it all. And still packs a punch, piney smell but mild. Responds well to topping and heals into multi colas. Flowers in 48-55 days. Grown by ShadowMoon here in MI.

I disagree. Any other way than chemical is stressing the plant. PERIOD. Offspring will hermie with just the slightest stress, if female pollen is made by stressful means. How many plants have you personally reversed using STS? And I don't like being called a pollen chucker...............I am a Bad News Bee. LOL

We can disagree, I respect your opinion and experience as much as any one on this board.

Using chemicals is the way feminized seed was getting a bad name years ago. Every seed company and their brother was doing this with very poor results (Greenhouse leading the way). People have different experiences and beliefs and I prefer not to smoke something that has been genetically altered using chemicals and hormones if I have the choice. I don't pretend to know everything (in no way am I inferring you do either), there very well may be chemical stressors that work better and are safe, but I am not privy to them. Coke doesn't give out it's recipe, and good successful breeders don't either. I do however know that STS does not work well because I've personally used it in the past and know others who have also tried it.

I have reversed several strains over the years using STS, and most of the results for me were herms, and or, a poor representation of the original strain even, after running the original for several cycles. Same as Gibberelic Acid. Glad you had better success.

There are active natural stressors that will cause a plant to throw a very few select male flowers on most strains that don't cause a plant to herm under normal conditions. No one in Michigan has the ability to do this, as it requires working with hundreds if not thousands of plants of the same variety to discover these inherent genetic traits on just the right female.

First you have to run the original parents through a couple of cycles to make sure they are not herms. Which I'm sure you probably did, and that wouldn't make you a pollen chucker so don't take offense.

Sorry if I offended you.

I'll stick to making 'em closer to the way mother nature intended. Boy pollinates girl. I know it sucks chucking half your plants but when you grow beans you should really be looking to keep a clone of the best plant or two anyway.

Porcupine you are probably right about needing a bunch of plants to do this properly. Just collecting and evenly distributing pollen from a few stray nanners and making enough seeds to distribute to the masses when you are done would be a serious undertaking. Such an undertaking I find it difficult to believe that's how it's actually being done by anybody. It seems like it would be so much work you would have to sell the beans for much more than what they are selling them for. Ever try to distribute a little pollen across an entire plant? That takes serious time and patience. I know that they can't just put a few nanners in a room and let the pollen fly. You couldn't make enough seeds to make it worth your time. You can't put a plant that only gets one nanner in front of a fan and expect to collect many seeds either.

This pollination job would have to be done by hand because there wouldn't be enough pollen collected from a "non hermie" plant to air pollinate. Each pistil would have to be hand pollinated the way I see it. Fun Fun and very expensive if you value your time.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

ive grown a number of dr. greenthumbs s1s and i don't htink you could get them to hermy if you tried but they "claim" to use there own method of feminization

You are correct in the fact that Doc has his own feminizing process. Years ago he was using STS and was getting bad results with herms, so he developed his own feminizing process by working with thousands of plants at once. I have no clue as to what actual stressors he is using but I can honestly say I have never had one of his S1 elites pop a nanner in over six years of running them.

Archived