"judges, Lawyers And Therapists Say Criminal Justice System Helped Addicts"

Jennifer8

On the Website called Michigan Association of Drug Court Professionals

I found this article. It was posted June 2010. There is an audio to listen to but I didn't take the time to.

http://madcp.dreamhosters.com/blog/2010/06/13

Drug Courts Confront Relaxed Attitudes Toward Pot

Medical marijuana is legal in 14 states, including MIchigan, and advocates would like to expand that or legalize pot altogether. But the judges, lawyers and therapists who work in drug courts say the criminal justice system has helped addicts turn their lives around.

At the recent meeting of the National Association of Drug Court Professionals in Boston, attendees discussed how new attitudes toward Marijuana affect what they do.

Check out this NPR story by Ina Jaffe from June 11, 2010 - Listen to the Story"

I find it interesting that judges, lawyers and therapists are sooooooo concerned about "addicts turning their lives around" and how they put that type of label and fear campaign with the word "marijuana" and even "MM". How is it they are not "so concerned" about alcohol being legal, the damage it does to people, the drunk driver related deaths? Why don't they start their campaign and political mumbo jumbo to change the laws an an already devastating legal drug called alcohol? I will tell you why, because these troutsniffers don't want to have any financial dent to their drug court money operation, IMHO.

If people are afraid of legalizing marijuana they should make alcohol illegal, unless people are motivated by other reasons.....(Follow the money trail), IMHO.

They make their web site membership only for posting comments so that way they will never see an opposing point of view. I would like to point out to them that I would expect no other opinion from people who make their living off of abusing patients. Throwing people in jail with harden criminals is not exactly my definition of helping them.

Alcohol and prescription drugs have caused more problems than Mj ever will, yet the fear mongers keep pushing their propaganda and paranoia. It's all about control, lust for power, which amounts to GREED. I hate what this world has become.

Sb

That's the problem. You marijuana addicts just don't understand what is good for you, and why should they confuse themselves or you with FACTS. :blink:

Please note the sarcasm.

I think you all hit on the key to their position, JOB SECURITY. These "professionals" make their livings based on demonization of marijuana and those that use it for whatever reasons (medical or not).

They make their web site membership only for posting comments so that way they will never see an opposing point of view. I would like to point out to them that I would expect no other opinion from people who make their living off of abusing patients. Throwing people in jail with harden criminals is not exactly my definition of helping them.

I guess my statement has already been stated. +rep (and I don't give it out very often).

OK, so here is my attitude toward this silly little perspective. Judges make a lot of decisions each day DRASTICALLY affecting the lives of the people for whom the decisions are handed down. at the end of the day they psychologically HAVE TO believe that they are helping the vast majority of those who are the recipients of the judgments. So, we are dealing with a fallacious rationalization from someone's (the judgees') work stress - nothing more.

There have been multiple studies to show that criminalizing drugs (even alcohol) is not an effective modus of treatment. cognitive behavioral therapy IS the best modus operandi of treatment for people with addictions. Just because some kid made a bad decision, and got high and drove...or just because some woman had a horrible day at work and had couple drinks too many after this horrible day and drove does not make them an addict. It makes them human - people that made bad decisions. those people can benefit from counseling as well, to help them make better decisions. in either event - addict or poor decision making - jail or prison time is not the most efficacious response.

any behavioral therapist (as well as any modern video game creator) will tell you in no uncertain terms that positive reinforcement is FAR BETTER than punishment in getting results. It is not 100% effective. People have to WANT to change in order TO change.

we won't hear this from law enforcement officials, especially from judges, probation officers, and jailers/wardens. they have a vested interest in this process. some have even been caught making deals with one another to keep each other full of business. Are all judges, probation officers, CO's/wardens or even cops bad? of course not! many are good, decent, hard working people. but, there is a hegemony of ideals that predominates these professions which leads the good people to reinforce the bad ideals in order to "go along to get along".

/rant off

Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country.

- Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

Some of my finest hours have been spent on the back of my veranda, smoking hemp and observing as far as the eye can see. - Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President

If the words "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.

- Terence McKenna

We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption. - John Adams, U.S. President

Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?

- Henry Ford

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could. - William F. Buckley, Jr

WoW that was great. The responses were even better!!! The prohibitionists are truly getting their asses handed to them on a daily basis everywhere they turn!!

we just gotta keep pushin and educatin

OK, so here is my attitude toward this silly little perspective. Judges make a lot of decisions each day DRASTICALLY affecting the lives of the people for whom the decisions are handed down. at the end of the day they psychologically HAVE TO believe that they are helping the vast majority of those who are the recipients of the judgments. So, we are dealing with a fallacious rationalization from someone's (the judgees') work stress - nothing more.

There have been multiple studies to show that criminalizing drugs (even alcohol) is not an effective modus of treatment. cognitive behavioral therapy IS the best modus operandi of treatment for people with addictions. Just because some kid made a bad decision, and got high and drove...or just because some woman had a horrible day at work and had couple drinks too many after this horrible day and drove does not make them an addict. It makes them human - people that made bad decisions. those people can benefit from counseling as well, to help them make better decisions. in either event - addict or poor decision making - jail or prison time is not the most efficacious response.

any behavioral therapist (as well as any modern video game creator) will tell you in no uncertain terms that positive reinforcement is FAR BETTER than punishment in getting results. It is not 100% effective. People have to WANT to change in order TO change.

we won't hear this from law enforcement officials, especially from judges, probation officers, and jailers/wardens. they have a vested interest in this process. some have even been caught making deals with one another to keep each other full of business. Are all judges, probation officers, CO's/wardens or even cops bad? of course not! many are good, decent, hard working people. but, there is a hegemony of ideals that predominates these professions which leads the good people to reinforce the bad ideals in order to "go along to get along".

/rant off

That was extremely well worded and to the point.

I feel really bad for the guy who is harmless and got caught with crumbs or residue. The "Drug Court" program will have that poor guy paying for their "helpful" drug programs. In the long run it seems to be about how much money is drug court raking in from whoever they can get it from. These spokespeople for drug court will say whatever they believe will help pay their salaries, and fund them. There is no doubt drug court helped some people, but to put the average mild marijuana user, or try to say MM use is concerning and in the same category as "drug addicts" makes them look ignorant.

Archived