Clones Turning Mushy

kseekay

okay, heres is what is going on with my clones. I had taken a couple of clones from someone and have nothing but bad experinece since. First, I had several clones in my clone box that I placed with in with the new clones that I received from this other person. I have then discovered spider mites(lesson learned, problem caught and corrected) but since then every clone I have put in my box the leaves turn black/brown and mushy I have to cut them off to almost a nub and it seems like they take forever to root. I have soaked my neopreams in proxide and cleaned my boxes to no availe, so what the hell is the problem. Any sugg. would be greatly appreciated, because I really am at a lose, I have never had a problem cloning and it has never taken more than a week or so for them to root. Maybe its in my pump or my misters.

Guest drcanna-pest

you need to completely clean and bleach your system. check the ph. what are you using to root? i would like to see pics to really give you some suggestions.

thanks, i just checked on them today and lifted up my lid and had to throw out about 5 of them because the stems were just mush, i am so mad at myself for taking someone elses clone and not checking them and throwing them into my clone box. lesson learned, will NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. i really set myself and my pts back. not to mention my poor little mothers. thanks for the advise. btw, i am using, cloneX nutes and rooting gel. its weird it only seems to be happening to my sour cream and my super lemon haze it did not do it to my cheese or el nino. however, i did lose my only clone of RX, and velvet. oh well.

not all strains root the same. Some are more prone to damping - too much moisture. Trying to clone all strains at once, under the same general conditions might be wrong. I usually clone one strain at a time, so I can feed and care for it the same as it requires.

The brown and mush sounds like the leaves got soaked.

You said you have clone-x gel, but do you soak your cubes in a proper nute (thrive alive and root66)?

I also used a heating pad to keep the grow medium warmer than the air temp (important when you have A/C!)

This is what really creates humidity in the dome, not spraying.

-DN

i use a clone box, hydroponics

Ok, leave the cover off the top - allow more air to the leaves. My understanding - hydrophonic cloning you should not be misting as often?

Temperature? PH? - lastly - work with strains separately so you can dial in your cloner thats perfect for that particular strain - or at least zero in on special problems to that strain.

-DN

I hope somebody figures out the healthy stems turning to mush--maybe certain strains are susceptible to a certain virus? I made 800 Northern Lights clones per week for ten years and never had this, most weeks 100% rooting success--what turns stems to mush? A virus? Bleach the floor, walls, ceiling, all your equipment, including the fan and blade, change the filter in your A/C--or bleach it,too. Don't use the original water present when you brought the clones into the room and bleach your reservoir. Don't wear into the clone room the clothing you wore when you picked up the clones. If a virus, bleach on everything will get it if you diinfect every tool and surface in the room. This is so puzzling.

yeah, i never had this problem before either. well that is to say until i took his clones. i want to thank all of you guys for the advise. it will be followed. i need to nip this in the bud. lol

Sounds to me like a root-rot issue, and the more sensitive strains are suffering first. Catch this before you get these girls to root, because once they do and you introduce them to your main hydro machine, all hell can break loose. Sounds like you could be on the verge of a root rot disaster.

Guest drcanna-pest

try bleaching everything and starting fresh with new inserts. they are super cheap.

r.o. water. no nutes at all.

correct! no nutes at all when trying to root clones. just water. cut them under water. dip in Humboldt Roots, put in cloner. 1 - 2 weeks and roots will come out your donkey. just get new inserts, new clones or seeds, count your losses, and start over.

yeah, i never had this problem before either. well that is to say until i took his clones. i want to thank all of you guys for the advise. it will be followed. i need to nip this in the bud. lol

You might want to try an anti-fungal too, like http://www.wormsway.com/detail.aspx?t=prod&sku=SGD705&AC=1

I use this on my cloner from time to time.. I get what looks like mold growing in all the edges of things.. the next day.. gone... I spray it all over the top... ( I do clean it too guys, don't get me wrong here...lol)

I've only had a few clones damp-off like that.. I don't use anything like clonex or roottone.. I actually use GreenFuse Root liquid.. didn't feel the need to buy something else, I had already bought it..

I also don't do anything special like cutting them under water (though, I would if I were cloning in a "soil" medium, but in the aero cloner, no need, I feel) I do however slice up the side of the stem, nice and shallow, to expose more of the "good stuff"

Do you put mutiple clones in the same "puck"? I often do, 4 at a time.. And I find that I've only ever had problems with the onse that touch inside of the cloner.. never really had much of a problem otherwise..

To be honest this sounds like someone didn't cut their clones right and have let an air bubble in and are choking off the plants. If clones are not cut and placed in water quickly you can develop air bubbles in the stem of the clone and will keep the plant from sucking up water. This also causes the stem to qet weak and mushy as you described. Also if your tools are not sterile you could be contaminating your plants. Sounds to me whoever gave you these clones weren't the sharpest tool in the shed. As you said they even had spider mites. You can recut these clones if they are big enough and they might recoup.

Archived