Morphine Sulfate

Edit .. I might delete this thread. I need to substantially modify what I've posted here.

Morphine, as it exists in the God given plant, does not dissolve in water.

To change it into something that can dissolve in water, car battery acid is added to it. Sulfuric acid.

This is what morphine sulfate is. All drugs that have "sulfate" or "hydrochloride" as a part of their name have had these poisons added to them.

When the human body absorbs these drugs, they are broken down into their parts.

The morphine does it's job.

Then the battery acid starts to work.

To change it into something that can dissolve in water, car battery acid is added to it. Sulfuric acid.

This is what morphine sulfate is. All drugs that have "sulfate" or "hydrochloride" as a part of their name have had these poisons added to them.

For those very reasons is why I am convinced cannabis therapy saved my life. I was able to discontinue MS, SOMA, and Vicodin with cannabis.

I am not nearly as bad off as many patients I hear of but it will be so nice to get off my asthma inhalers :) I think it may be possible with this stuff. I will be doing the testing shortly once I find out whats up with my job, I may be tested soon.

Medibles or a vaporizer for asthma...

Dizz

I am not nearly as bad off as many patients I hear of but it will be so nice to get off my asthma inhalers :) I think it may be possible with this stuff. I will be doing the testing shortly once I find out whats up with my job, I may be tested soon.

I have not used my inhaler since I started using MMJ and i wuold use it almost daily.

Reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide scare... You know, that chemical that's in everyone's household, and in our foods, and that causes so many deaths every year, every day?! They say "Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol." The DHMO hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears. It might sound scary, until you realize it's just another name for water (H2O). Everything they say is true, it's just that they're talking about properties of water.

There are naturally occurring acids and bases present in everyday life, within our bodies. Biologically, we are able to neutralize these acids and bases without difficulty. And in fact, that are essential for life to exist. If you were to misrepresent the facts, and frame them in an irresponsible way, it may lead to misplaced fears, just like the DHMO hoax. It's not the simple presence of an acid which is a problem. It's the concentration of hydrogen ions that create damage and that can be dangerous. The concentrations of hydrogen ions vary across a wide range, and we use the pH scale to describe them. Like the Richter scale, pH is logarithmic. But unlike the Richter scale, it's inverse. A pH of 3 is ten times stronger than a pH of 4, which is ten times stronger than a pH of 5. Realize that the pH of your stomach is in the range of 1 to 3. Pepsin, an enzyme your body uses to degrade proteins in your diet, works best at a pH of 3. Once foods are passed from the stomach, they are neutralized in the duodenum from the high pH of bile from your liver. Orange juice is around 3 to 4. Limes are 1.8 to 2. Coca Cola is 2.71. The pH of morphine sulfate is 2.5 to 6. Aspirin is 3 to 4. Not to mention the significant buffering system that your body represents. We blow off excess acids when we exhale and some acids are excreted in the urine.

This isn't to say that morphine isn't bad for other reasons. Yes, it's potently addictive. Yes, it can cause respiratory depression and death. But it's used for severe pain and if you need it, you need it. It has an important role that's been beneficial to many people in certain circumstances. Anything in excess is bad for you. The message is don't let this scare you.

Reminds me of the dihydrogen monoxide scare... You know, that chemical that's in everyone's household, and in our foods, and that causes so many deaths every year, every day?! They say "Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol." The DHMO hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears. It might sound scary, until you realize it's just another name for water (H2O). Everything they say is true, it's just that they're talking about properties of water.

There are naturally occurring acids and bases present in everyday life, within our bodies. Biologically, we are able to neutralize these acids and bases without difficulty. And in fact, that are essential for life to exist. If you were to misrepresent the facts, and frame them in an irresponsible way, it may lead to misplaced fears, just like the DHMO hoax. It's not the simple presence of an acid which is a problem. It's the concentration of hydrogen ions that create damage and that can be dangerous. The concentrations of hydrogen ions vary across a wide range, and we use the pH scale to describe them. Like the Richter scale, pH is logarithmic. But unlike the Richter scale, it's inverse. A pH of 3 is ten times stronger than a pH of 4, which is ten times stronger than a pH of 5. Realize that the pH of your stomach is in the range of 1 to 3. Pepsin, an enzyme your body uses to degrade proteins in your diet, works best at a pH of 3. Once foods are passed from the stomach, they are neutralized in the duodenum from the high pH of bile from your liver. Orange juice is around 3 to 4. Limes are 1.8 to 2. Coca Cola is 2.71. The pH of morphine sulfate is 2.5 to 6. Aspirin is 3 to 4. Not to mention the significant buffering system that your body represents. We blow off excess acids when we exhale and some acids are excreted in the urine.

This isn't to say that morphine isn't bad for other reasons. Yes, it's potently addictive. Yes, it can cause respiratory depression and death. But it's used for severe pain and if you need it, you need it. It has an important role that's been beneficial to many people in certain circumstances. Anything in excess is bad for you. The message is don't let this scare you.

Good! thank you.

I've been told that morphine sulfate does more damage than opium.

Is that correct? Want the facts right.

tia

edit Oh .. how about that sulfa allergy thing?

Would this affect a person with a sulfa allergy?

'sulfa allergy' usually refers to sulfonamides... a different chemical group which shares a sulfur atom in common. They are not allergic to all things with sulfur atoms, just drugs with sulfonamide groups, typically found in a number of antibiotics, water pills, some anti inflammatory drugs, and some diabetic medications. Morphine sulfate contains a sulfate group, which is different.

Liver damage, for instance.

Opium contains about 17% morphine, so morphine is an opiate and pharmacologically they share a lot in common. All opiates and their synthetic brothers the opioids share tolerance, addiction, and withdrawal. There are a number of studies done on the liver damage caused by morphine and other medically useful opiates. Their liver toxicity seems to be directly mediatated by their binding to opioid receptors, which makes it hard to separate the pain relief from the liver damage. The difference with morphine is that it is inactivated by glucoronidation as opposed to oxidation, making it more useful in patients with liver cirrhosis, while other drugs are apparently unaffected in liver disease (eg Fentanyl and others). So bottom line is they share apparently similar liver toxicity, tied with their potency in activating the receptors they bind to, but morphine is chosen over other opioids in patients with compromised livers.

Guest Marywanna

Thank you,Mrs.Mommy-to-be! :D WAIT! That just made me want to ask another question about opiates. Why are some people intolerant of them? Is it true that to combat this a pt needs to build up a tolerance,increasing dosage gradually?

Thank you,Mrs.Mommy-to-be! :D WAIT! That just made me want to ask another question about opiates. Why are some people intolerant of them? Is it true that to combat this a pt needs to build up a tolerance,increasing dosage gradually?

There's a whole family of structurally related opioid receptors, many of which are in the gut. That's why opioids can cause nausea and constipation. Yes, you can build up tolerance to the nausea, just as you describe. But if there's any liver disease, the dosage and frequency might have to start out at very low levels.

Edit .. I might delete this thread. I need to substantially modify what I've posted here.

traded MS contin for Medical Marijuana has been a bumpy road with different doctors some are just to arrogant to understand!

Still always keep an inhaler stored somewhere easily accessed incase of an asthma attack.

Worked for me, I could not afford the inhaler the DR wanted me on, and he would not prescribe the cheap one, too dangerous he alluded to.

Pretty much symptom free, would feel better with one for just in case, too dangerous huh?

Archived