Keeping Expectations Low

It has become clear to me, the rules of supply and demand don't work in pot land. It's as if I'm being punished because I've chosen not to chose a specified caregiver. I'm told "that's the price unless you sign up with me" and "unless you sign up you can't buy more than a quarter". Mind you they want $125 to $150 for a quarter. Would any of you pay $500 an ounce? I know why too...its because they make more money that way.

So here's what I want to know. If patients can buy an ounce from caregiver for $300, some buy for $200 ounce, why can't I buy a quarter of medical grade for $75? Is this about profitability or compassionate care?

I'm showing you my card dude, what's up with this? It's a frucking quarter! That's all I can afford!

I know alot of CG's who give thier patients a quarter free every week

I do agree with you scence I have been legal I havent been able to afford an eighth let alone a quarter.. I am lucky to afford a gram the days i dont get to go visit a club. But I dont want to give up my right to try to grow my own.

Giving something away for free is awfully nice considering the MASSIVE RISK we are taking to provide quality meds. People just do not get that this is NOT a game and it is not free. 90 a quarter to a NON CORE patient is still a good deal. And I advise you to meet a good CG and find out what they charge. My Core get 75 a quarter and 250 an Oz. But you have to figure delivery, insurance for cars, homes, lighting, soils, containers, ferts, labor, RISK<<<<<< there are built in costs and costs that do not ever stay FIXED. Operational costs even on small scales that most of us our working with are still way to high in my opinion. Hopefully as more distributors come online and more states legal growing costs will drop I hope.

But i would not be complaining and meet some good people. I have a guy that has all my genetics and is looking for a patient and he is at 250 an Oz and 75 a quarter same as me. He is in Metro Detroit. Pm me if your interested.

It has become clear to me, the rules of supply and demand don't work in pot land. It's as if I'm being punished because I've chosen not to chose a specified caregiver. I'm told "that's the price unless you sign up with me" and "unless you sign up you can't buy more than a quarter". Mind you they want $125 to $150 for a quarter. Would any of you pay $500 an ounce? I know why too...its because they make more money that way.

So here's what I want to know. If patients can buy an ounce from caregiver for $300, some buy for $200 ounce, why can't I buy a quarter of medical grade for $75? Is this about profitability or compassionate care?

I'm showing you my card dude, what's up with this? It's a frucking quarter! That's all I can afford!

Why bother dealing with people like that? You're licensed to grow.

You see, I get it that some CG's want to be like big Pharma. Sure, pharmaceuticals, like some CG have to do R&D and I get that there is "risk" (I'm not sure exactly what risk you mean but if it's the fact that you grew something sloppy and lost money so you pass that loss on to your peoples, ugh gives me a stomach ache).

But it was said above and herein lies my disgust. "stop your complaining" Yes, it sounds like a political statement to me.

I paid my money, got my signature, my card, and I can't help if I live so far from civilization (the UP) but what I see is price gouging. I don't have money to set up a grow closet, heck I don't know if I'll have money to pay next months rent sometimes. What I wanted was to take my med legally and get rid of pain. Don't tell me I've got to drive to Lansing dispensary, five hours, just to get a decent price for a quarter...

And let me add another thought regarding CGs because I've met a few. They tell me "why should I renew my patient card when I'm a CG now, I can grow and carry and smoke...blah blah" You know, if you are really a patient, and you have PAIN, anxiety, dying, some Patients can hardly make a meal for themselves. And you want us to grow our own?!

Come on people, give me a logically sound answer here folks

You know, if you are really a patient, and you have PAIN, anxiety, dying, some Patients can hardly make a meal for themselves. And you want us to grow our own?!

Perhaps the best option for someone unable to grow their own is to find a friend/relative who would be willing to sign up as a caregiver and tend the plants for the patient. There is no requirement that a patient needs to sign up with an existing caregiver. Anyone can be a caregiver if they meet these requirements;

1) You must be at least 21 years old

2) You must agree to assist with a patient’s medical use of marihuana

3) You can not have a felony conviction involving illegal drugs

Then they need to register with the state.

How do I become a caregiver?

Guest Marywanna

There are many pts that CANNOT grow for themselves. Like the CGs say,it ain't easy. So don't expect a person who is ill and you don't know what kind of limitations this person may be facing to just say "grow it yourself". $250.00 an oz in DA UP? Thats just plain old gouging and we all know it. Can't one of you yooper growers help this chick out? MW

Guest drcanna-pest

I know it sucks really really bad. Thats why when it is totally legalized the price will drop dramatically. Even if you get a caregiver I think $300 an oz is still too much. We do have light bills, nutes and soil to buy, and other issues but still the price is too high. Start growing yourself...it is easier and cheaper than you think...

Not many realize how difficult it is when you don't drive and live in upper peninsula. Prices here are ridiculous, even for low grade street stuff.

There's got to be someone with a heart not too far. You'll find someone to help you out one way or another. Is there anyone you know who is a good candidate to be a caregiver? Someone who would work with you on a sliding scale basis?

Guest Marywanna

Canna,I mean that some people cannot PHYSICALLY ATTEND to a grow. Like maybe they are a paraplegic or a similar physical handicap. I didn't mean it as CGs should not be compensated for their product at all.I am grateful I have a good CG and being a former gardener myself know it is an all the time job. MW

Where do I buy seeds to grow? Online sites state all these legal concerns. I looked at grow lights, cabinets etc. Omgosh. I don't have money for this? How do I keep a room warm enough to grow in winter? Sorry but those who say just grow you're own... I'm feeling overwhelmed. Maybe I should just get pain pills if doctor will prescribe. Why did I spend $200 for signature and $100 plus to mail for application only to need pay again for another signature and money for renewal? Is this process really helping patients? Some how it seems profiteers are the ones getting "relief". Not patients!

Potential caregivers give me names of strains which I know nothing about, as if I'm going to bow down to them. I'd be happy with some low grade medical that I could afford.

I shouldn't have even started with my feelings here. It's just making me sicker and more depressed.

My husband can't touch the stuff (job) and son is too busy. Plus I have grandkids I don't want pot growing in my house. It's a private thing. I don't want ounces of weed sitting around my house. I want a quarter now and then for $75 no more that will work for my pain and sleep.

You ask what risk is involved? It is not the risk of crop failure that most are worried about, it is LEO kicking in the door and destroying everything they don't seize.

That being said, I do agree that market prices do not reflect patient demand and the supply that should be available. One might even think that some of the supply might be getting diverted to other channels... Ugly truth of the matter when it comes to some folks that have gotten involved with mmj for just the right to grow...

People that don't indoor grow just don't understand, for your example it does seem like the guy is asking a bit much but personally my operating cost is about 125$ an ounce give or take not considering labor and gas...its not at all cheap to grow indoors and 250 an ounce is fair because us indoor people only get a lb or so per light every 2 months a light that cost hundreds of dollars a month to run, so at 250$ an ounce price to the patient is it all that much to ask you pay us ~3,000$ a year for gas/labor and the risk we take, no its not, and it would be an even bigger risk selling to a patient that is not registered to you or someone you didn't know, I wouldn't do that for less than $250,000 an ounce lol just so I can pay the court fine after I find out its an undercover haha joking....Outdoor harvest time is coming up so if you want it cheap then get it from outdoor people in the coming months.

are the people that charge 400$ an ounce for indoor bud making good money? no not really.....at 250$ an ounce indoors your barely payin the bills...at 400$ you would likely be doing better if you worked at taco bell

Outdoors is a different story its much cheaper - and if we could grow more plants indoors it would also be a little cheaper but we are faced with all these limits. What could make it cheaper is if it was more clear that we are able to grow outdoors because that is kind of unclear not to mention risky in the current situation.

Guest Marywanna

Cmon! Can't one of you help her? This price conversation is old stuff. At least give her some decent advice on what she can do. Get real,starting a grow room so you can get 1/4 is dumb. I could NEVER afford to buy all the stuff to start one! She is a legal pt and should be able to find what she wants. Tell this to the next CG you talk to. Also the UP is a big place,you don't say where you are.

Some caregivers will give free oz's every month or every other month. Some will give you really discounted prices if you give them consent to sell to others at a higher price to recoup lost prices. Some people are just money hungry. Like stated before, a lot of money can go into nutes, power, equipment, and such, but lets be honest here people. Selling a few ounces a month at $400 an oz will more than cover that.

I can understand a slight risk, but when every caregiver and patient is operating within the law, what is the risk other than meeting with a stranger factor or your grow room being robbed? I can understand the risk from LEO and all the hassle that will result from it but if your operating within the law you should eventually be cleared.

Maybe some still have a black market mentality with it

Bohemian girl, you make a great point, some people are to sick to grow for themselves or many other physical activities.

I can understand if strains that are heavy feeders or strains that take longer to finish flowering cost more to purchase since they are using more money to grow, but people will charge more for more potent or popular strains to make a faster buck.

From my past experiences, over a decade ago an ounce of high grade buds were $350 and thats if you didnt know anybody. Now to get in the $300 range it seems like you have to know somebody.

If you decide to grow for yourself I can give you free leonard clones for free if we are in the same area.

I rarely use more than two quarters per month. I live near Dafter. I appreciate everyone's positive input here. It's important for me to see the other side of CG but still some things don't make sense. For example, I didn't think patients could grow outdoors. Maybe I should gave tried that at start of summer, if I would have had seeds. What would have happened if my twelve plants made more than the allowed amount by law? Do you throw it away if you can't smoke it? If CG have extra in this situation, why do they gotta sell a quarter for $125? So sorry friends but I don't get that. Can a patient GIVE to another patient freely cuz that is what I'll do when I grow.

I thought about calling an ad in our paper for delivery but a friend said he called and the guy wants $125, so that's what I need to decide. Buy at high price in UP or get ride south and sign up with CG who has reasonable price for quarter. This means I'd have to drive twice month so therefore might as well buy at the local price :-(

$500 ounce. I just can't do it ya know...but can't afford $350-$400 ounce up front either. I think you all are right. I've got no choice but to grow. I may never get my grandkids over again :-(

Where do I buy seeds to grow? Online sites state all these legal concerns. I looked at grow lights, cabinets etc. Omgosh. I don't have money for this? How do I keep a room warm enough to grow in winter? Sorry but those who say just grow you're own... I'm feeling overwhelmed. Maybe I should just get pain pills if doctor will prescribe. Why did I spend $200 for signature and $100 plus to mail for application only to need pay again for another signature and money for renewal? Is this process really helping patients? Some how it seems profiteers are the ones getting "relief". Not patients!

Potential caregivers give me names of strains which I know nothing about, as if I'm going to bow down to them. I'd be happy with some low grade medical that I could afford.

I shouldn't have even started with my feelings here. It's just making me sicker and more depressed.

My husband can't touch the stuff (job) and son is too busy. Plus I have grandkids I don't want pot growing in my house. It's a private thing. I don't want ounces of weed sitting around my house. I want a quarter now and then for $75 no more that will work for my pain and sleep.

You REALLY need to connect with your local Compassion club. You are in the UP there are a few good ones there.

You need to get out and meet people personally, and not on this website.

Also, the risk for a CG to sell to a non patient IS huge. He/She risks their patients meds. This IS a huge debate however, but if they are assisting patients NOT likned to them through the registry, they MAY be putting money up for their legal defense!

I thought about calling an ad in our paper for delivery but a friend said he called and the guy wants $125, so that's what I need to decide. Buy at high price in UP or get ride south and sign up with CG who has reasonable price for quarter. This means I'd have to drive twice month so therefore might as well buy at the local price :-(

$500 ounce. I just can't do it ya know...but can't afford $350-$400 ounce up front either. I think you all are right. I've got no choice but to grow. I may never get my grandkids over again :-(

Why not(get the grand kids)? You don't have to let the world know you are growing. I have 2 nieces and a nephew that stay weekends with me at least 1 time a month, it is MEDICINE............Ya don't have to smoke it in front of them, but.................if WE hide it and are ashamed of it, then....................

Archived